Footwear

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Controversialrogue

Footwear

Post by Controversialrogue » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:06 pm

What shoes would you recommend for night opping?

I wear light volley tennis shoes, i love them because they are light and have very little in the way of soles and are perfect for climbing and jumping, although they have just broke on me, and wondering what to get as a replacement. what type of footwear do you guys prefer to wear?

Xanatos

Re: Footwear

Post by Xanatos » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Depends on the op location. Most of us like opping in combat boots for ease of travel over rough terrain, although if the ground isn't as rough I usually wear either diving boots or tabi. Dark sneakers seem to be a good all-round choice, just be sure to cover up any bright/reflective parts.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Shade

Post by Shade » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:19 am

I suggest getting a toe shoe, it offers waterproofedness, grip, and most importantly silence. You can get em in black or camo, so it's sneaky.
Attachments
triple toe.jpg
Such sneak. Much wow.
triple toe.jpg (2.05 KiB) Viewed 47468 times

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:56 am

Ah yes, Vibram toed shoes. They're essentially a glorified sock with toes, so don't expect to be stomping over broken glass anytime soon. However they offer tremendous dexterity and make climbing & sneaking much easier.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Normal day in the life of an opper
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Shade

Post by Shade » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:46 pm

If you're stepping on glass, you've screwed up your op. XD But Vibram isn't that great from what I've read, I use body glove.

Shade

Post by Shade » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm

So how do you guys use boots? They're messy, loud, and are terrible for climbing.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:33 pm

They're not so bad once you get used to them and know how to tread properly. The afforded protection is invaluable for ops in rougher terrain. Also handy for booting down doors if need be.

Shade

Post by Shade » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:11 pm

But isn't it better to be able to scale a wall than to kick a door?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:15 pm

You can still do that. And it's not like there are a lot of walls to scale in, for example, an abandoned house in the forest. Plenty of doors that need kicking though.

Shade

Post by Shade » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:18 pm

I guess I can see that. I still feel like I'm more mobile with minimalist shoes, and can get a wrecking bar for the rest. XD

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:14 pm

"Boots" encompasses a huge range of footwear for various needs. Many have ultra silent soles that are in fact excellent for climbing and won't weigh you down. Some of my first operations were in leather boots with hardened vibram soles and I made do just fine, learning to "roll the sole" forward and at an angle on hard surfaces like a tire to mute the sound completely. As long as it's not blatantly ass (like a cleat) there's few explicitly bad choices for night ops.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Shade

Post by Shade » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:38 pm

But I've never seen someone able to quietly move in boots. And granted, sole rolling works and works well on flat hard surfaces, but it about halves your speed from my experiences. So if someone's coming, you're screwed. Although, can you send me a link to your boots? If they're flat on bottom they may work better.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:22 pm

Maybe you just haven't seen anyone trying to move quietly in boots yet.

Shade

Post by Shade » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:30 pm

Yeah, but I prefer ball-heel rather than heel-toe in most cases, and that doesn't work well with boots.

Absent

Post by Absent » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:33 am

I alternate between boots and regular black sneakers... Depends on where I'm planning to go. Well-fitting boots can work well, but as stated there are more than a few kinds of boots... It's a big category with lots of differences.

They make quite a few tactical boots that Special Operations / combat troops wear, and are pretty good for your general all-terrain Op. I hear underarmour makes some pretty good ones.

Kind of a cheesy video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrrp-18gxJo

Not sure if that specific one is any good, but it has good reviews. I usually just go with sneakers though... Urban environments and such.

V-S

Post by V-S » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:59 am

I personally use these boots (in the attachment), they are comfortable and silent. Otherwise I also use a lightweight combat boot or pair of Nike's like an Eshay.

Google "MGS Sneaking Boot", I've always wanted a pair of those.
Attachments
Clothes-(UtopiaRobinLeatherBoot) .jpg
Clothes-(UtopiaRobinLeatherBoot) .jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 30460 times
The Sun is down, time to go to work.

Vengeance
Location: Every night look into the darkness and know I'm out there.

Post by Vengeance » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:01 am

I've just been using minimalistic Tabi boots.
Been thinking about upgrading, however I'm still undecided.
It's the nature of this beast to feed upon the will to numb it, this monster brought the seed of life, well now i have become it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:29 pm

If you want maximum stealth for minimum expenditure (min-max loadout) I suggest simple aqua shoes. Can be got for dirt cheap from a variety of stores and offer tremendous grip, flexibility, comfort and silence for ~$20 (for a decent branded pair). If the soles are too thin for you for rougher terrain, just wear thicker socks - the top part of aqua shoes is elastic so there's plenty of stretch room for extra sock. They will wear out over time, but you're not gonna be wearing them every day like sneakers so for the few hours of opping you do in a year they'll still be a bargain.

Nightstalker 1
Location: An extensive search has been made. We have found nothing.

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:22 pm

this is very helpful for me in creating my SOL

thanks
There are hunters and there are victims. By your cunning, you will decide whether you are a hunter or a victim.

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:38 pm

what do you guys think about hiking shoes? I live in an area that has more road than gravel.
There are hunters and there are victims. By your cunning, you will decide whether you are a hunter or a victim.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:27 am

Hiking shoes work too. Like combat boots but more flexible.

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:05 pm

perfect thanks