A few questions from a beginner

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Kenlee

A few questions from a beginner

Post by Kenlee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:29 am

I’ve been watching videos on flashlights and just wondering if a blue filter is better than a red filter because some guy on YouTube claimed that blue light is if you want to not be detectable?

Is it possible to make money from night ops?

The last question would toe socks used for diving be quieter than boots?

blackhawk

Re: A few questions from a beginner

Post by blackhawk » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:12 am

Blue or red filter
My knowledge on color vision is limited, but I do know that the human eye is not very sensitive for ultraviolet and infrared. Violet/blueish should work in this theory as good as red. However, the color you use also has an effect on the preservation of your night vision and I think the infrared end of the visible spectrum (with the same intensity!) messes up your night vision the least, compared to ultraviolet. Maybe someone else has some scientific info for that?

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vis ... perception)

Making money from ops
If your skills are good enough, then the ability to op is a tool. You can use it for whatever you want. Check out the bad ideas forum though.

Toe socks
It depends on the surface, but those toe socks are surely more quiet than boots. However, there are downsides as well, but just try it out. You'll see.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:20 pm

Split toes (diving or tabi boots) make it substantially easier to scale things like chain link fences or climb ropes, but other than that I haven't found many good reasons to wear them over more traditional footwear. In order to achieve the split toe shape, you're sacrificing protection & durability so the footwear won't last for long. And if you're gonna be moving through a lot of grass or other foliage, it's quite a common nuisance to get shit built up in between the toes that will otherwise limit your ability to grip whatever you might need a split toe for in the first place.

Split-toe footwear is effective, you just have to apply them judiciously.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Kenlee

Post by Kenlee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:23 pm

The split toes down like a bit of a pain. Managed to get some good filters for my torch and dig out a few of my old tools and as soon as I’ve finished gathering food and supplies I am going to go on some night ops

I’ve found a few places to explore which are in very dark and secluded parts, barely anyone goes out at night anymore because it’s so remote that there’s nothing to do at night other than pubs which are now closed