Armor

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
CookieThief

Armor

Post by CookieThief » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:15 am

I was thinking of adding armor to my loadout. Like pads or tear resistant sleeves etc. Shin elbow shoulder calf guards. Nothing heavy, light but able to offer some protection. Something to clip or add on to a night jogging outfit. If you don't like armor please leave some suggestions before explaining why you are against it.
Last edited by CookieThief on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

Xanatos

Re: Armor

Post by Xanatos » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:48 pm

I sometimes wear knee & elbow pads if my op involves traversing rough terrain and I don't want to tear up my clothes. You may be able to see me wearing them in my Quick Op vid.

Additionally, I usually try wearing multiple layers on my torso if I need to land from a height onto concrete or other hard surface. It softens the blow on your back. Does get mighty hot though.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:23 pm

Kneepads are invaluable if you're going to spend a lot of time crawling through rough terrain. Myself, I don't have that luxury, so I'm stuck with my vest as the best armor I have.
In the front of my vest, I have a 4mm armor plate to protect against light shrapnel and 100% guaranteed protection against stab wounds. Any kind of perforation to the front of my torso, actually. And any situation where I'd need protection from shrapnel and stab wounds is really unlikely.
In my back plate pouch I put two foam pieces that mimic the shape of an armor plate. So this really helps with rolling on hard surfaces (rocks, frozen dirt, concrete) - you can barely feel it. Advantage with the vest is that It's one piece of gear that you put on, and you're set with your entire kit just like that. It doesn't offer any more protection for the rest of your limbs.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:53 pm

Many combat shirts and pants have integrated padding and protection these days that's specifically meant for protection while climbing, crawling, kneeling, if you roll, etc. It's a bit on the pricey side but you feel like a million bucks wearing the stuff and it does work great. Something to consider.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:21 am

I've used kneepads before for mooching about service tunnels - thats about as far as I've gone though. It's all about the trade-off of mobility vs comfort vs protection.

I've thought about slash-resistant/kevlar-fibred clothing before, like these guys do - http://www.bladerunner.tv/ . Casual enough for being in a city, but should provide a fair bit of protection too.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:17 am

On the subject of cut-resistant material, getting maille gloves can help you handle razor wire and other sharp obstacles in your path: http://www.dx.com/p/knife-cut-resistant ... pcvHvl94dU

Cheaper alternative.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

wfff024

Post by wfff024 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:36 am

Thinking about getting something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Eight-ExoS ... 0059CWUNE/
Looks very light weight and low profile since it goes under your clothes.
Fear is a reflex. Courage is a choice.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:47 am

Remember that cut-resistant cloves aren't necessarily stab resistant. The fibres on cheaper gloves are pretty spaced out, so barbed wire will still prick you. And depending on the kind of razor wire, the tips will do so as well. Being careful is imperative, regardless of what you're doing.
If you need to sift through a field of used needles, then buy a pair of gloves with turtleskin or something of that sort. Make sure the gloves are rated for stopping needles - you don't want to leave your blood around, be it on a shard of glass or barbed wire.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

CookieThief

Post by CookieThief » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:51 am

wfff024 wrote:Thinking about getting something like this: [url]http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Eight-ExoS ... 0059CWUNE/[/code]
Looks very light weight and low profile since it goes under your clothes.
Perfect, that was more along my line of thinking. Jezz Amazon has fucking everything.
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:50 am

I found some cheap forearm plastic guards ( maybe they're for a kids shins?) and some stormtrooper forearm armor that's for a costume. My idea is to have at least one arm protected from a dog bite. You present the attacking dog with your forearm and the dog cannot bite into it. You then have the option of lethal (knife) or non-lethal (punches, stun gun, club, etc) attack to repel or eliminate the threat. You would have to act quickly, as a large dog will shake your forearm and pull you straight to the ground very quickly. You can make the armor even better by attaching a clear pouch or pocket that works like quarterbacks have; you insert small maps or radio codes etc inside the clear pouch and you can quickly access info. Of course, the white color should be altered to fit the environment, keep white for snow, black or grey for urban, perhaps jean color for a jean jacket, . . you get the idea. Any thoughts?
15142297200_0272e4b698_b.jpg
some guys stormtrooper forearm armor

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:06 am

Sounds plausible, I already have some rattan vambraces that could suffice for such an encounter.

Your idea of adding pockets/pouches intrigues me though, and I thought of perhaps adding a thin package/balloon/bag of some sort of chilli substance to deter the dog. It jumps for your arm, bites through the bag/balloon/whatever, bursts the bag, gets mouthful of Tabasco or other irritant. The package would have to be made of a reasonably sturdy material so it won't burst prematurely but still be able to be bitten through.

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:26 am

I think the idea of irritant pouches on forearm armor may not be practical as it could get punctured by a fence or by rolling on the ground. Pepper spray however, is practical and should be used before the dog is close enough to bite. You can also create a cloud of pepper in hallways , alleys, etc to interfere with a chasing dog. My fellow ninja enthusiasts may have seen the Batman ninja forearm gauntlets that have the curved blades but I feel these could interfere and would be hard to conceal. Also, even though plastic forearm armor will not stop bullets, it may stop a canine or deflect a slashing knife attack but remember that it's always best to not face a dog or crazy person with a knife , if you can run away or disappear . . . do that first.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:46 am

That's my usual strategy for dealing with any confrontation. Hide - if you can't hide, run - if you can't run, fight - but only enough for you to create an opening to run again.

pank89

Post by pank89 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks for the interesting ideas))