Photos and The new NONET website

Tell us how we can improve the night ops forum. Your suggestions and complaints are welcome.
Illusion

Photos and The new NONET website

Post by Illusion » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:24 am

First up, a big thanks to Secant for the new website. I liked it a lot, a hell of a lot actually - I feel it really demonstrated what NightOps is about and is a further step in the right direction.

I was just wondering if there was any plans to allow photo linking now we're an open forum?

On a similar topic, I think maybe a photo or 2 on the main page of site may help visitors get a feel for what this site is about. I have a collection of low light urbex photography, and some low-light people shots too if theres any interest?

We could even have a selection then maybe a poll to pick a suitable image for the "face of nightops" as it where - perhaps an image that the community could pick that they feel demonstrates what its about. I don't even mean any amazing peices of photography - it could even be a noisey low light shot of someone in a factory stairway or something.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Psychlonic

Re: Photos and The new NONET website

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:46 am

That's actually a good idea. Something to get the wheels of creativity going in visitors' heads as they see the website.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:11 pm

A photo on the front page would look awesome! I'm thinking something like a downward shot from the top of some kind of industrial stairwell. I could put a sign on top of it, "Come on down.", reminiscent of the infiltration.org website. Any other ideas? If you'd like to submit photos, send them to nightopsforum@gmail.com and bump this thread. Or, upload them to imageshack/photobucket/etc and post the links here.

As for image linking, I'm guessing you're talking [url] tags. Well, even though we're open and "legit" now, we still don't want to attract negative attention from those who do not understand our cause.

While we're kicking around ideas, what would you think of a photography forum? How many of you might use something like that?

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:22 am

I like the idea of a photo on the front page, photography isn't really my thing but I wouldn't mind seeing other people's photos. Some really nice pics are up on this UE blog, the guy updates a lot too: http://nopromiseofsafety.com/

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:19 am

I like the idea of integrating photography a bit, we'd have to make it clear though that photography isn't the point behind night ops, it's just an optional activity that adds a little more "color" to your operation than just a standard write up.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a cheap, durable digital camera to bring along on some of the stuff that i do, some of those grainy, low light photos can really give people a great picture of what it's like "through the eyes of an opper".
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:25 pm

Again, if anyone has photos they'd be willing to have posted on the front page, please submit them! I don't want to use stock photos (or steal somebody else's photos) if there's a possibility that I can use a real photo from a member of the forum.

Moddy, would you mind making some of your photos available?

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 am

I have a pretty big chemical plant op coming up when I get off probation. (very very soon, I hope...)

I should get some pretty nice pics then.

My camera sucks at night shots though. Will a picture down the stairs with the flash on work?

If not say something now so I can try to borrow someone's camera.
----------------------------------------------------
Life bytes with a variety of sizes of teeth
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse
-----------------------------------------------------

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:07 am

If you're comfortable making such photos available, killdozer, I'd really like to have them. Don't worry about the camera, just take lots of photos with the camera on different settings and some are bound to come out well; try to keep the aperture as wide as possible and mess with the exposure time if you're shooting in low light. Don't limit yourself to pictures of stairs, either, I'm looking for anything that says "night ops" for the front page.

Anthony Sykes

Post by Anthony Sykes » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:38 pm

I'm thinking a picture of the back of a security guard...

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:22 am

Secant wrote:If you're comfortable making such photos available, killdozer, I'd really like to have them. Don't worry about the camera, just take lots of photos with the camera on different settings and some are bound to come out well; try to keep the aperture as wide as possible and mess with the exposure time if you're shooting in low light. Don't limit yourself to pictures of stairs, either, I'm looking for anything that says "night ops" for the front page.
Alright. I am scheduled to be off of probation on the 28th so expect the pictures sometime right after that. I'll take advantage of any photo opportunities I come across on the op.
----------------------------------------------------
Life bytes with a variety of sizes of teeth
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse
-----------------------------------------------------

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Sorry about the delayed reply! Work is killing me and my sleep patterns!

Idea 1: The tower-top

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 6400_n.jpg

The idea Psy had was a photo like that (I can find a better tower; the one in the background is my next target) with 3 figures on - One sorta like a military-esque, one a bit like a ninja and I think one like a common urban explorer. Kinda like a demonstration of the different techniques.

Idea 2: The stair shot

http://pics.livejournal.com/moodymoddy/pic/000ct451

I actually wanted a big set of stairs, but I can't find any photos to demonstrate the staircase I have in mind. (I have the perfect location for these photos lined up! It has industrial equipment, staircases, factory floors, rooftops..)

Basically it'll be a shot from either above, or the bottom (at an angle) of a staircase; just showing a lone figure - "The Explorer".

Idea 3: The factory floor

http://pics.livejournal.com/moodymoddy/pic/000dtq4g

A location like this - a vast and empty room, with the lights fading... just enough to see "The Explorer" again.

I do have a few photos in locations you might like, but often using light painting/trails.. I doubt you'd want any bright lights on your photos! :P
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:41 am

Those photos are the right stuff, moddy! Thanks for posting them.

I'd rather not use the first, since it has your face in it. The second and third are looking good, though.

Do you have any that were taken at night? That kind of photo would look better on the main page.

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:50 am

Whoah, what city is that in the first pic, that place looks awesome...
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Secant: Yeah, If it was any more clearer I'd have given it a good blur, or pixelate it.

The photos I've shown in the daylight were just to show the setting, I'd aim for them in low light with just a figure standing somewhere. I should have a few like it already; lemme check!

darktorn: London! Wait till you see the pictures from the tower in the background ;)

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Moddy wrote:darktorn: London! Wait till you see the pictures from the tower in the background ;)
I was thinking that when I saw the rounded tower to the left of the screen!
isn't that right next to the Thames? Makes me feel like I could've seen it when I visited the Globe...
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:31 pm

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8& ... CAoQnwIwAA

Its in the financial city; so not far at all from the Thames - you can certainly see it from the thames. Theres a similar rounded building by the Thames, its not as tall - its more of a helmet though!

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Wow, I've walked past that several times and it's just never registered in my head... must check it out over the summer, thanks mate !
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

Xenia

Post by Xenia » Sun May 09, 2010 3:26 am

Moddy wrote:Sorry about the delayed reply! Work is killing me and my sleep patterns!

Idea 1: The tower-top

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 6400_n.jpg

The idea Psy had was a photo like that (I can find a better tower; the one in the background is my next target) with 3 figures on - One sorta like a military-esque, one a bit like a ninja and I think one like a common urban explorer. Kinda like a demonstration of the different techniques.

Idea 2: The stair shot

http://pics.livejournal.com/moodymoddy/pic/000ct451

I actually wanted a big set of stairs, but I can't find any photos to demonstrate the staircase I have in mind. (I have the perfect location for these photos lined up! It has industrial equipment, staircases, factory floors, rooftops..)

Basically it'll be a shot from either above, or the bottom (at an angle) of a staircase; just showing a lone figure - "The Explorer".

Idea 3: The factory floor

http://pics.livejournal.com/moodymoddy/pic/000dtq4g

A location like this - a vast and empty room, with the lights fading... just enough to see "The Explorer" again.

I do have a few photos in locations you might like, but often using light painting/trails.. I doubt you'd want any bright lights on your photos! :P
Those are gorgeous photos. Absolutely stunning. I'd love to just sit there, and watch the night.

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Sun May 09, 2010 5:12 pm

AVE...

I have a little suggestion: why just don't add a gallery to the site for users to post their photos and use them as "random pic" on the index page?
There are dozens of sites with thousands of nice UrbEx photos. But why use others work, if we can make our own gallery?
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...