Elimination of Required Registering.

Tell us how we can improve the night ops forum. Your suggestions and complaints are welcome.
Psychlonic

Elimination of Required Registering.

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:36 am

I've set the idea on the table to open the forum to lurkers and non-registered users, allowing them to view the boards freely. I would also like your input on the matter as you are the posters. The biggest reason for this is simply to increase the number of active members. What you need to know is that more casual viewers will be able to see your posts, for better or worse. If the idea goes through with Secant, you'll be given time to edit out anything you don't feel comfortable sharing. Keep the following in mind:

If LE was interested in this website, they'll register and lurk anyways. Your posts are not safe from determined eyes, this is still a public forum! Opening the forum up completely will not change this fact, but it could potentially increase activity here immensely. Secant is barely holding on to this website, it's quite likely that maintenance will grind to a halt completely if activity sinks too low. I've admitted come close to calling it a good time on several occasions then moving on. Given the huge salvo of information recently followed by an almost immediate return to near-zero activity, it's obvious that the community may not survive without this step being taken.

This topic is to share your thoughts on the idea and add any additional suggestions you may have.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Re: Elimination of Required Registering.

Post by Xanatos » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Perhaps only having some of the forum accessible to lurkers & non-members, like the Experiences section or something. Whatever you wish to have available, make sure you keep the 'BO' section out of public view.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Well, funnily enough I nearly made a thread about how concerned I was that there was a stage I was seeing of new users all the time, but they just seemed to read and then vanish.. did make me wonder a little bit about the stuff thats posted on here, and why people would be taking such an interest without contributing.

However, I can also see why we need to do *something*.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Xanatos wrote:Perhaps only having some of the forum accessible to lurkers & non-members, like the Experiences section or something. Whatever you wish to have available, make sure you keep the 'BO' section out of public view.
I was actually thinking of going quite the exact opposite direction and opening everything up besides experiences and special access forums (if you don't know what those are, you aren't missing anything so don't stress it). The black ops section is pretty mild but I might hide that as well, so that our ploy, if you will, is basically 'sign up to read user experiences!' Even though, again, it's pretty inconsequential. It's a gimmick, at best, because again anyone can see it by simply signing up. Public forums are never going to be especially secure so the best defense is just toning down the information and not drawing too much attention to yourself.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:14 am

I'm not against it, I wouldn't mind seeing some new members and having more of the information be easier to access.

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:11 pm

Anything that gets site activity up is a good idea for me.
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:16 pm

Anything? :shock:
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:39 pm

Xanatos wrote:Anything? :shock:
Yeah babe :wink:

:P
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:54 pm

"Free hookers for people who like to break into shit" :lol:

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:55 pm

That's a wonderful idea! Someone needs to make a topic in the black ops section now and we'll sort out how to get these hookers.

:lol:

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:33 am

I love to break into shit. You can also mail my friends' (who love to break into shit) hookers to my house. Expect a mailing address in a PM.
----------------------------------------------------
Life bytes with a variety of sizes of teeth
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse
-----------------------------------------------------

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:34 am

What are you gonna say when you start tearing open your boxes, all excited, and some fat hairy tranny climbs out . . .

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:05 pm

darktorn wrote:What are you gonna say when you start tearing open your boxes, all excited, and some fat hairy tranny climbs out . . .
"Darktorn, get back in the box. I'm mailing you back to where you came from." 8) jk

On a more serious note:
Be sure to poke air holes in the crate when you send my hookers.
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:09 am

Now all we need is the torch to come and make some hilarious "tony the tiger on cocaine" comment, and it'll feel just like the old night ops we all know(knew) and love(d).
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:09 pm

killdozer wrote: "Darktorn, get back in the box. I'm mailing you back to where you came from." 8) jk
Fucking pissed myself when I read that :P

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:16 am

Therin the Hand wrote:Now all we need is the torch to come and make some hilarious "tony the tiger on cocaine" comment, and it'll feel just like the old night ops we all know(knew) and love(d).
QFT! I miss when everyone (I'm guilty too...) was more active...
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:06 am

killdozer wrote:
Therin the Hand wrote:Now all we need is the torch to come and make some hilarious "tony the tiger on cocaine" comment, and it'll feel just like the old night ops we all know(knew) and love(d).
QFT! I miss when everyone (I'm guilty too...) was more active...
come to think of it, I miss Torch's big red font, last time I saw him post he didn't even use it anymore D:
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:10 am

As much as I'd like to open the forum up, I have serious issues with J. Random User coming along to view our posts. Yes, it's a public forum and anyone (including LE) could register, but I'd rather not have to deal with spammers and their ilk.

So, as a compromise, what about creating a single "General Discussion" forum that is publicly viewable? It would be essentially a mix of Experiences and Discussion, where potential users could talk with the members. Perhaps that could entice more people to actually post with the accounts they create.

What do you think?

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:17 am

EDIT - Stay tuned, NON.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:18 am

Secant, i am all for that idea. I think just the combination of creating that opening page forum and allowing us to show up on google searches would draw in quite a few new members. Plus any further revisions or changes made... second golden age? hell, maybe we can even end up getting our old domain name back, who knows.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."