TOR Mirror?

Tell us how we can improve the night ops forum. Your suggestions and complaints are welcome.
MustacheOperator

TOR Mirror?

Post by MustacheOperator » Sat May 22, 2021 10:02 pm

Has the NONET crew ever considered firing up a TOR mirror? I use TOR to access the site, and the only problem is having to sign back in every time my circuit changes. Worth the hassle!

Running on the TOR network (as a .onion) would skip the exit nodes entirely, reducing the potential attack surface for other TOR users significantly.

Just a thought. :)

Nameless

Re: TOR Mirror?

Post by Nameless » Sun May 23, 2021 7:46 pm

This would be great. It is currently a chore as stated above and would help with maintaining personal security without having to fight the website.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon May 24, 2021 5:05 am

Secant may be able to arrange that.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:56 am

Huh, thought phpbb put the sid in the URL if you decline cookies. Maybe it doesn't do that anymore...

Regardless, this is a good idea. Stand by.

MustacheOperator3

Post by MustacheOperator3 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:20 am

Secant wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:56 am
Huh, thought phpbb put the sid in the URL if you decline cookies. Maybe it doesn't do that anymore...

Regardless, this is a good idea. Stand by.
Sweet! Forgot all about this chief.

I will try manually adding the SID shown at logon to the URLs. Must quicker than logging in :D

Nameless

Post by Nameless » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:22 pm

I would like to bring this topic back up again because site security is currently tedious at best. As the latest example... upon creating a new topic I found I was logged out. Of course... so I log back in and oops my Tor ID is now magically a banned IP on the site. By now I anticipate the site causing problems so I saved the topic text elsewhere in advance but at this point I am more compelled to post this than that.

It's 2022. Tor is easy, known and accessible. Anyone who is able but not using it is, if you will excuse me, quite stupid.

basewatcher

Post by basewatcher » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:42 pm

Nameless wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:22 pm
I would like to bring this topic back up again because site security is currently tedious at best. As the latest example... upon creating a new topic I found I was logged out. Of course... so I log back in and oops my Tor ID is now magically a banned IP on the site. By now I anticipate the site causing problems so I saved the topic text elsewhere in advance but at this point I am more compelled to post this than that.

It's 2022. Tor is easy, known and accessible. Anyone who is able but not using it is, if you will excuse me, quite stupid.
Amen Nameless. Its trivial to employ proper OPSEC

Nameless

Post by Nameless » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:04 am

It's killing at least some activity here.

Myself and at least two other users face an uphill battle just trying to stay logged on through Tor. The Tor experience here is this:

You log in, if you post anything of length you're logged out and need to log back in, so you better copy your whole post to your clipboard first because it won't be there anymore when you log back in. So you log back in, paste your post back in the box, retype the subject... oh I was on a banned IP apparently, but I had no clue until I tried to successfully post. WHAT THE FUCK??? I couldn't have known right away so I could get a new identity?

It's such a ridiculous fucking struggle and I've been wanting to get more involved here but not with this mess. Sorry.