Newbie here with a few questions for you all

Are you a new member? Introduce yourself here!
TurbulentAd9654

Newbie here with a few questions for you all

Post by TurbulentAd9654 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:18 pm

Hello, I have been lurking around for a while and reading the stuff in the library, it's absolutely fascinating. I myself have never done any trespassing but even reading the stories on here is thrilling enough, it feels like something from a fantasy. That said, some of what is posted seems quite unbelievable to me in all honesty. I saw the video of Xanatos opping a car shop and sure, with enough experience stuff like that is totally believable. But when I came across ChaosPenguin's guide to night ops in the library... a 14 year old kid? Rapelling into office buildings? With his girlfriend? And "put[ting] throwing knives into brick mortar and climb[ing] up them"? That sounds like something a splinter cell fan would make up. But then again he seemed quite active for a while in the &TOTSE archives, so if he is making it up then that's a lot of effort to be putting in, and I couldn't find anyone calling bullshit on him. I'm not trying to pick on this kid but I'm just making an example. TLDR I would appreciate if an older member could enlighten me about what bullshit may or may not exist on the forums.

Regarding my next point I'm curious about the demographic this activity attracts. You all seem quite young, talking about sneaking out of parents' houses, is there anyone here in their 20s or 30s? If any older members are around from &T, did you stop going on ops as you got older and if so, when? Also, it seems that many members are from less wealthy backgrounds, is there anyone who is from a middle-class family? Were you involved in anything illegal before you found out about night ops?

Thank you for enduring my wall of text. If anyone is willing to help an outsider make sense of this community, I would appreciate it.

Xanatos

Re: Newbie here with a few questions for you all

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:16 pm

A lot of those guides were written WAY back in the day, TWOTS was written by Psychlonic when he was in highschool I think. Much of the information is outdated, but they provide an interesting historical snapshot of what opping was like back then and how it all started.

A lot of us from the golden age of night Ops (I think I joined just after that age) are a lot older now with commitments like jobs & family, but there are a slew of younger members who still pop up from time to time. Can't speak to the background of any of our members, but I'm guessing if you're rich enough you don't entertain night ops as one of your hobbies.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

V-S

Post by V-S » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:32 am

No doubt some people will very well tell fabrications, or at least highly exaggerate their stories. However, in my opinion, most stories are legit. I haven't been on this forum long but I think some members here have proven themselves to be legit.

I think the attraction to Night Ops starts in the early teens. Generally, the time in one's life when the world opens up and you feel a curiosity to explore and rebel. Another inspiration may come from media (video games in particular). In my case at least it was PS2 classics such as Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid and even The Warriors. Having friends with similar interests definitely reinforces the interest to go out on "Missions".

As for 14-year-old kids doing insane shit, totally plausible. I was doing some pretty crazy missions years 14 to 16.
Here is a good example you might be interested in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J1Xg6u4hLM

I'd assume once young night opers reach their 20s they have a tone of responsibility that may keep them inactive for a while. They may tend to be more reserved with posting about their exploits as they become more conscious of the consequences too. I'd also assume some may take their skills into their professional life at this point, either through criminal or covert military/police/government avenues.
The Sun is down, time to go to work.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:20 am

V-S wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:32 am
Here is a good example you might be interested in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J1Xg6u4hLM
Hah! What a legend.
And of course he gets caught over a woman.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

TurbulentAd9654

Post by TurbulentAd9654 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:35 pm

...well that took a dark turn haha. If he can have such a loose mouth and still not get caught until he attempts murder then that's reassuring.

Do you think there is survivor bias on this forum? So people getting caught before they have a chance to post. I want to learn this stuff but I don't want to throw the rest of my life away either.

V-S

Post by V-S » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:09 am

I think that guy in the video is a narcissistic fuck. Though he did have some skills and courage to pull off that heist.

It's possible some people get caught before they post, I don't know of any though. I don't think anybody here would recommend you go do something that might get you in a lot of trouble as your first op. You can still learn the skills and get into night ops without breaking the law. Though of course half the fun/point of it is to break some boundaries right...?
Last edited by V-S on Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sun is down, time to go to work.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:31 am

The idea behind the ideal op is to leave no trace behind. Nobody will notice if there's nothing to notice.
Stealing Guy Fieri's Lambo on camera and then bragging about it on the internet is quite the opposite.

Nonsequitor

Post by Nonsequitor » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:56 pm

I'm new I've only done a few ops it's definetly fun, and to answer the demographic question, I just turned 30 this Saturday. I hope you have fun just remember to read guides and ask the experienced ones for help. There's plenty of knowledge to go around and fun to be had.
What is the music of life? Silence, dear brother.