Ohayou gozaimasu!

Are you a new member? Introduce yourself here!
Tenshin

Ohayou gozaimasu!

Post by Tenshin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:37 pm

Hey everyone,

Man, I can't believe I haven't found this place or joined here earlier. In fact, I only found out about the website thanks to random searches for filling in some of my old notes and finding the PDF's from google. Decided one time to actually check out the website that hosted these, read the history section and was like "Duh, NIGHT OPS, from &TOTSE!!!!!" I absolutely cannot believe this is till around, let alone active, and active on a FORUM (everyone seems to have left forums in favour of modern social media...)

I don't know how often I posted, but I definitely read the old night ops threads back in 2003 (although I could have sworn there were ones earlier than that...) I was a huge night opper back then, and although I knew about &TOTSE as early as 2000, I usually posted on a website called Ninja Man Online which had much more organized tutorials for stealth, concealment, and making your own ninja weapons and tools. Later when it shut down I opened by own website and forum from 2001 until 2004 (I eventually named it Descendants of Ninjutsu), then everyone migrated to a website called Art of the Ninja which, according to internet archive, only survived until February of 2008. Then a member from there named Dothacker opened up his own version that lasted until December of 2012. After that there was nothing unless you count Facebook, but Facebook sucks compared to forums and there was no legit continuation of any of it. Plus people probably just got older and moved on.

Anyway, that's a short history of the much more ninja focused night ops style of community, although it was not strictly Night Ops in the original &TOTSE definition of it. Anyone remember or were a part of those forums?

Anyway, hopefully I have a chance to post here and get involved in the community. It sure would be nice to be part of a Night Ops focused community again, even though I come from a very ninjutsu type of a background.
"Without noise, without scent, without a famous name... but the effect is cosmic"

Matane,
~T~

Xanatos

Re: Ohayou gozaimasu!

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:58 pm

"Official" ninjitsu background or self-taught? I started out much the same, or rather my ninjitsu training was the catalyst for something deeper within.

A few of the old &TOTSE crowd are still here, but many have been lost to the sands of time. As the rest of the internet turns towards temporary, fleeting forms of communication we at Night Ops stand as a legacy of scholars who archive knowledge, experience and discussion for posterity. Our numbers dwindle in and out, but we'll always remain a beacon of light to those who embrace the darkness.
Actually, no, a beacon of light would be far too noticeable. But you get the idea.

Drop into the Chat Lounge now & then, chances are you'll bump into one of us for some live conversation.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Tenshin

Post by Tenshin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:03 pm

"Official" ninjitsu background or self-taught?
Er... both. I grew up in a different strict martial arts school, started self teaching myself ninjutsu on the side at a very young age, then I had a mentor over the internet for several years who helped me build most of the websites I made. Many years later I did finally find a good teacher in person, and I still study with him to this day, although the foundation of my ninjutsu still stretches back to when I was heavily into night opping and the mentorship I received around that time.

How about your training; official, self taught, or both?

Ah, yeah, I don't doubt many have been lost to the sands of time! The internet and times have changed a lot, but I like that you still keep the legacy going. Just posting on an all black forum gives me major waves of nostalgia, ha. But yeah, I unfortunately lost most of my archiving, and lately I'm trying to organize and put it all back together again, carrying around a USB stick and backing it up on my home computer. Some of the files uploaded here are definitely helpful puzzle pieces in the grand scheme of things.

Definitely, will do! Thanks for the welcome :)
"Without noise, without scent, without a famous name... but the effect is cosmic"

Matane,
~T~

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:23 pm

Tenshin wrote:How about your training; official, self taught, or both?
I taught myself ninjitsu (and other aspects of stealth training), Parkour and the majority of my weapon skills & martial arts. Been training Kali under an instructor for the past 3 years though.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.