This sounds interesting...

Are you a new member? Introduce yourself here!
fiddlesticks

This sounds interesting...

Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:37 pm

I've been silently following some of the night-ops things going on, but now that I've bought some gear I feel it's time to maybe look for some more experienced minds and get some real advice on how to do this. So, first things first I guess, here's what I bought after some consideration:
-Balaclava, black
-Black multicam combat shirt, wide arms and high neck
-Black multicam pants
-Black tight fit gloves for finger articulation
-Combat boots with composite safety toe
(black multicam combines very dark brown and dark greys, I figured it'd be perfect for what I'm doing)

As far as gear, I've been into that for longer than just a few months so I have it all. Flashlights, paracord, multitools, fixed blades, folders, you name it and I have at least 3. Generally EDC stuff but the odd combat folder or double-edged dagger here and there. I don't think gear will be a problem. Anyway, now that I have the stuff all I need is a target and a plan. But here's a few issues I have:

First of all I don't know how to reach my target discreetly. Sneaking out of my house without any neighbours seeing me is do-able, but crossing city streets donned in black multicam and face coverings? Someone might think something's up. So I thought maybe stuff the camo gear in a backpack, bike to location at night and change there. Two problems: if the cops do decide to search that shady dude with the backpack at night and I'm carrying camo gear and face masks, I have some explaining to do in jail. Other problem: how do I change clothes mid-op? Maybe one of you has more experience and can suggest a solution. Then there's the problem of a target. What I need is a good place to start out, somewhere I'm strictly not allowed to come but where there's minimal security and plenty of opportunities to quickly abort in case *anything* goes wrong. I'm sure you guys can fix this one for me. Some info about my location: middle of a relatively small city. We have any convenience you may want nearby though, plus there's plenty of less active outskirts nearby. Where I live the streets never go completely quiet, whenever I come home from night shifts there's at least a few cars on my way. Night-life isn't huge but it's there.

If you want to share how you guys got into opping and what kind of stuff you started with and what you're doing now, as well as general tips, that'd be much appreciated. Quite an introduction I know, but I'm just eager to get started :wink:
Time to plow through these forums then! :)
Yesterday, upon the stair
I met a man, who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish, he'd go away

fiddlesticks

Re: This sounds interesting...

Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Actually, as I was reading this whole urban exploration things I may have figured out a (very) easy first target. There's an abandoned train station nearby. The tracks still run, the station was just forsaken. It's at walking distance. The problem of 'how do I get there in full gear?' still bother me though...

CookieThief

Post by CookieThief » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:24 pm

Good for you getting into opping. As for getting to your target there are two main ways you can do it. You can either go full gear or modify the way you are wearing them.

Full gear: I don't do it this way much but I have done it before. Map your home (base or HQ) and your target and look for any roads, paths or ways you can get from point A to B staying undetected. Hiking trails, alleys, side roads, or a bunch of twists and turns with low traffic and and cover be shadows or otherwise. Google maps is useful for this and exploring the route during the day to get used to is helps.

Semi gear or Social camo: This is more my style when getting to my target. Wearing your mask as a beanie, minimal carry, concealable tools and the like. Plausible deniability in short. Wearing the "beanie" low and turning up your collar with hide your face enough. Remember this is night time and people don't care unless you attract too much attention. That being said, keep to the shadows and low traffic areas. Then when you feel comfortable "gear up" and proceed to your target.

For lower risk ops Semi is the practical way to go and Full gear for higher risk ops. Just my thoughts on the matter, take it as you will.

Have fun and be careful. Be sure to post about it when you are done. :D
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:56 pm

Alright, I suppose I'll take a bike ride round the city first, taking in optimal sneak routes and some targets I'll wanna hit some day. After that perhaps jot down a quick route and go semi-gear, sounds like the best option at least for now. Yeah, sounds good, I can see this happening. I'll make sure to write a tense story about what's likely going to be an uneventful first op :lol:

I'm thinking of just wearing that winter coat over my gear and sticking the balaclava in my pocket, then ditching the coat and putting on my mask on a predetermined location. Don't suppose anyone is going through the bushes looking for coats at midnight.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:05 am

Well, you sound more than ready. I live in a similar area, I typically head to my target in 'social stealth' mode (just looking like an unassuming guy out for a walk), find a place to hide near the AO and gear up there. How you decide to dress for the streets is up to you. Carry your stuff in a bag, wear a long coat to cover it all, turn your jacket/shirt inside-out and wear it around your waist, etc. An abandoned train station sounds like the perfect target for your first op; not too dangerous but unfamiliar enough to give you the right experience.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.