A challenger appears...

Are you a new member? Introduce yourself here!
Sandshark

A challenger appears...

Post by Sandshark » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:44 am

Good evening, fellow oppers. I figured I should get around to saying hello and introducing myself.

I've been sneaking around at night for a handful of years now. Nothing as impressive as some of the stuff I've seen on here, though. I never had any neat places to check out, as I was rural, until I moved to a new town last summer. Now that winter is ending, and I will no longer freeze body parts off at night, I'm trying to get back into opping, and I hope to be at least somewhat active on this forum.

After spending the past week (or maybe two?) almost scouring this site, and seeing what some of you have done, I want to step up my game. I plan on hitting the Dare section in the coming weeks, weather and schedule permitting.

In advance, it's nice to meet all of you.

Xanatos

Re: A challenger appears...

Post by Xanatos » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:22 am

Ooh, I'd better get my camera out again! What sort of targets do you have in mind?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sandshark

Post by Sandshark » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:32 pm

Well, I've got a local school that I hear is pretty easy. Same with the public 'pool'. There's a roof overlooking the town square that I really want to get onto. I'm pretty close to a graveyard, but it doesn't even have a fence, so I'm looking for one that I would actually have to put effort into. Working on other ideas, but I've only just begun actually exploring the area.

As of last night, I finally have a camera with a flash, in the form of an old cracked phone that doesn't have my name attached to it. If, gods forbid, I were to drop it on a job, it won't be as big of a deal.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Do you use the phone for anything other than pictures? If so, I suggest picking up a cheap digital camera and using that instead.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sandshark

Post by Sandshark » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:08 am

I plan on getting a decent camera once I have the money. That could be months from now, though, with vehicle expenses and bills to pay. I figure if I'm gonna spend my future opping and urbexing, I should get into photography also.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:41 am

I've used a series of compact digital cameras that are all around $100 each - you don't need to save up for a $3,000 Nikkon telescopic camera because a) you're shooting for a website, not National Geographic and b) its bulk will just get in the way. Portability should be your primary concern when selecting a camera. Of course you can pay a little extra to get one of those water & shock-proof models, but as long as its compact and has a flash, you're good to go.