First time

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Husq

First time

Post by Husq » Wed May 11, 2011 1:25 am

Hey guys. I am a virgin opper. Tonight I plan on popping the proverbial cherry. Any tips? Target is a house that seems to be vacant (has for sale sign, no door answer) I'm just trying to play it safe for now, as this is my first time and I'm not in great shape. tldr; beginner tips please

Psychlonic

Re: First time

Post by Psychlonic » Wed May 11, 2011 2:49 am

Come in from the least visible area so nobody can see you approach the house - this probably means avoiding the front door. Move from cover to cover and don't let yourself be an individual object standing out in the open. As vision at night is largely a matter of contrast, let your dark silhouette be absorbed by nearby objects.

Look carefully through windows before entering. Think about which windows are likely to be bedrooms, the living room, etc. Look for signs of occupants before entering. Press your flashlight entirely against the window or use your hand as a seal so light only goes into the house and does not reflect off the glass or otherwise make itself visible to others. Use your body to hide the light from outside view as well.

Being a beginner, I assume you can't pick locks. Try to avoid breaking your way in if at all possible, use other means to enter. You may be able to card your way into a door.

Assuming the house is truly empty, keep in mind that being your first operation, just getting to the house is what will test your nerves the most. Be prepared to take time you need but once again remain near cover whenever you wait. Get comfortable with the night and if you fail at your objective, just leave the house be and stay outside for awhile. Immerse yourself.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed May 11, 2011 6:16 am

Don't let your guard down; maintain 360° situational awareness at all times. Id est: Eyes & ears open.

If you spot somebody - or somebody spots you - try not to panic or freeze up, but make hiding/running away your priority. Don't get cocky.

As Psychlonic said, if you can't gain entry to the house then just practice creeping around the yard(s) as stealthily as possible so you get used to the night.

If at all possible, use a red-lensed flashlight as it's less noticeable and doesn't ruin your night vision as much.

Stay hidden, stay safe.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Husq

Post by Husq » Wed May 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks guys. That helped. It was decent practice too. I think I'll go again in a couple nights. 8)

Cadance

Post by Cadance » Fri May 13, 2011 9:23 pm

I suggest practicing the high crawl/low crawl. Ive heard some civilians call it the military crawl :lol:

I look forward to reading of your adventures
The quieter you become the more you can hear.
Slow and low is the way to go.
Knowledge is no longer power, knowledge is survival.

Husq

Post by Husq » Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 am

Hey. Sorry I wasn't able to post this sooner, been busy. Long story short though: Got to target (Vacant/for sale house in retirement community), found door unlocked, got in (adrenaline really pumping at this point), heard a noise, almost shat pants, wound up bailing as fast as possible. That was the first time. Went back, found out there was no noise, practiced climbing through low windows, returned home around 4AM. Fun. :mrgreen:

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue May 17, 2011 7:38 am

Yeah, you'll hear noises a lot at night. Even the more experienced of us have trouble discerning whether it's anything to worry about. This is why it's wise to constantly assume you're not alone and move in a suitable fashion. That way, if the noise turns out to be something to avoid, you're already in the right mindset.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

fx1k

Post by fx1k » Tue May 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Husq wrote:Hey. Sorry I wasn't able to post this sooner, been busy. Long story short though: Got to target (Vacant/for sale house in retirement community), found door unlocked, got in (adrenaline really pumping at this point), heard a noise, almost shat pants, wound up bailing as fast as possible. That was the first time. Went back, found out there was no noise, practiced climbing through low windows, returned home around 4AM. Fun. :mrgreen:
Glad to hear it was a success. Welcome, officially, to the Night. Good luck on your future operations.

Ysidro

Post by Ysidro » Fri May 20, 2011 12:26 am

Congrats on a successful first Op. I'm sure that if you asked around, most people have had a "pants-shatting" experience at some point or another so don't feel bad about it or anything. It is just a matter of acclimating to the night and gaining experience. But anyways, good to hear it all went well.
“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”
-Ben Franklin