I can't breathe with the balaclava

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
kunoichi

I can't breathe with the balaclava

Post by kunoichi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Whenever I wear my balaclava (which looks like this http://www.magnum.ge/category_images/OP ... ACLAVA.jpg ), after a few minutes i need to take it off because I can't breathe. :evil:

Does anybody know what i should do?

I saw somewhere a sort of balaclava that had small holes -or something like this- in the mouth area that are supposed to help you breathe easier. Does this thing work?
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH :P
Society gets the kind of vandalism it deserves.

Captain Winky

Re: I can't breathe with the balaclava

Post by Captain Winky » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:07 pm

I know which you mean, my friend from the army uses them, I guess they would work, I can't get them around here otherwise.
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Yeah, I sometimes have the same problem with my shemagh or t-shirt mask, especially in summer. I'd suggest cutting a mouth hole or perhaps just thinning the material around the mouth a little bit.

I mentioned a sniper veil in the Gear section (link below), if you can get your hands on some it'll be worth your while.
http://night-ops.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... be4e207090
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

kunoichi

Post by kunoichi » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Xanatos wrote:I'd suggest cutting a mouth hole or perhaps just thinning the material around the mouth a little bit.
Yeah, but aren't I supposed to breath with the nose? I mean... I talked with some guys that work in my country's special forces and they told me that i should always breath with my nose -and not with my mouth. :?
Xanatos wrote:I mentioned a sniper veil in the Gear section (link below), if you can get your hands on some it'll be worth your while.
http://night-ops.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... c38c60199c
That's really interesting!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:28 pm

I generally breathe through my mouth as it's quieter and allows me to get more oxygen, but you can breathe out of whatever orifice you choose. You could try cutting holes or thinning the material around the nasal area if it helps.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:54 pm

kunoichi wrote: Yeah, but aren't I supposed to breath with the nose? I mean... I talked with some guys that work in my country's special forces and they told me that i should always breath with my nose -and not with my mouth. :?
you 'should' breathe through the nose, it's better for you because your nose filters the air, and out again through the mouth. When you don't have that luxury or, indeed, require more silence, the balaclava will most probably do part of that work for you.
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

The Atomic Fishy

Post by The Atomic Fishy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 am

1) pull the mask down just below your nose
2) use "breathe right strip" it will open up your nose more and make breathing easier and quieter though that orifice

just my two bits
in a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society.
NO hobo codes-http://no.surgen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=6527#p6527
Op tag: ATOMFIS

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Get an all black under-armor shirt and make a t-shirt mask. I know how to make one that just has one layer over your moth/nose, but I can't find directions online and it's too hard to describe.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:27 am

I think everyone on NOnet knows how to make a t-shirt mask by now.

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:32 am

I know, but the most common type blocks your breathing a bit much and is pretty hot. I know a slightly modified way that works a bit better.

kunoichi

Post by kunoichi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey it's been a while... Sorry for answering that late, but i had some trouble with the cops (they arrested me at a riot :P ) and my parents took my pc away to punish me for protesting... (no, i am not 12 year old...)

I managed to take my freedom back (and my computer :D ), so here i am after 1 1/2 month...

Thanks for all the ideas, you really helped.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:52 am

Ah, welcome back.

So how many people did you have to kill to get your PC back? :lol:

kunoichi

Post by kunoichi » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:48 pm

:lol: :lol:
No one.. But i said to my parents that i wanted to suicide because they dont understand me, and at the same time i was pretending to be depressed; and then they suddently gave my PC back :D Haha

mib

Post by mib » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:36 am

Xanatos wrote:whatever orifice you choose.
I like that.
kunoichi wrote:(no, i am not 12 year old...)
But I am. And what's this?

Getting back to the topic at hand, why not try a nylon/spandex mask, something like:
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-LED-Hea ... 432&sr=8-2

They tend to be more breathable than other masks in my experience.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:39 am

MIB wrote: http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-LED-Hea ... 432&sr=8-2

They tend to be more breathable than other masks in my experience.
Yes, I suppose head-mounted LEDs would make it easier to breathe. Why didn't I think of that earlier? :lol:

fx1k

Post by fx1k » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:44 am

Xanatos wrote:Yes, I suppose head-mounted LEDs would make it easier to breathe. Why didn't I think of that earlier? :lol:
It's science. The electromagnetic field around your airway shifts when you use a head lamp, making it easier to breath. Duh.

mib

Post by mib » Wed May 11, 2011 3:40 am

I'm sorry. I meant
http://www.amazon.com/Schampa-Technical ... 186&sr=8-1

Don't drink and post.

Cadance

Post by Cadance » Fri May 13, 2011 9:19 pm

When it comes to breathing through a mouth covering its all mental. Put on a gas mask or a fire fighters breathing mask and you will notice the same effect. Its purely mental and nothing more. Discipline is key here!

Also always breathe through your nose, the reason for this is moisture loss. When you exhale through your mouth you get your balaclava wet which will make it uncomfortable and make that mental effect even worse. Also the idea that you get more oxygen from mouth breathing as opposed to nostril breathing is pure myth. Both methods are used to fill the lungs and do so at the same rate, otherwise it would get out of sync with your blood flow.

I believe both of these topics are still discussed in the soldiers training manual as well as a few other TRADOC manuals.
The quieter you become the more you can hear.
Slow and low is the way to go.
Knowledge is no longer power, knowledge is survival.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat May 14, 2011 4:51 am

I disagree, as people tend to breathe through their mouth after a long run/heavy bout of exercise. This is because their body is trying to recuperate lost oxygen and the wider airway of the mouth assists in that when compared to the nose.

I generally breathe through my mouth when wearing a mask because the part that goes below my eyes tends to flatten my nose a bit, making the airways smaller and thus more difficult to breathe. Usually though the mask will loosen up after a while and I can breathe through my nose again. Although, when dead silence is a necessity (such as sneaking around an occupied house), it's generally quieter to breathe through the mouth. Next time you're in a very quiet environment try breathing through your nose & mouth and hear the difference.