Need help climbing trees.

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Saaber

Need help climbing trees.

Post by Saaber » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:32 am

Hey, So the question is, How can i climb trees with no branches(like pinetree or something like that)
What kind of equipment would i need?

Psychlonic

Re: Need help climbing trees.

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:13 pm

Get climbing spikes. For pine trees, ignore those little ninja ones you see online and get actual boot spikes that really sink in. The outer bark can be rather flaky and you don't want cheap, tiny spikes that barely dig in.

Another method is to tie a tough, abrasive cloth between your feet/ankles and then hold onto a similar piece with your hands. The piece in your hands wraps all the way around the tree and you jump up and press your cloth around your feet onto the surface of the tree in front of you while pulling back on the piece going around. Friction keeps you in place. You can inch your way up the tree using this method, but it isn't half as safe nor reliable in multiple conditions so you should practice and see if it's something you are comfortable doing.

Even if a low branch is in range, don't throw grappling hooks at it or anything like that. Those low pine tree branches tend to snap off if you so much as look at them wrong. Ponderosa pines especially. If you need to stand somewhere for observation, either go higher or devise a security measure to keep you from falling and stand on the very base of the branch.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:52 pm

I usually just hug-climb up poles & palm trees, although it's not always a smooth journey. There's probably vids on youtube showing how it's done.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:46 pm

AVE...

Here is a videotutorial...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...