Building Upper Body Strength

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
roccoco

Building Upper Body Strength

Post by roccoco » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:41 am

Anyone have any tips? I'm generally quite fit but I find myself sometimes struggling to pull myself up ledges / lift heavy objects as easily as I'd like...

What would one do to build strength in the arms etc.

Xanatos

Re: Building Upper Body Strength

Post by Xanatos » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:07 am

Pushups, chinups and any activities that involve you having to pull yourself up onto something. Climbing up onto a shipping container, for instance.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

fx1k

Post by fx1k » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:27 pm

do some dead hang pull ups

as in hanging all the way down and then pulling yourself up

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:43 am

Isn't that how pullups are usually done?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

kunoichi

Post by kunoichi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:48 pm

I also need to build upper body strength... I am a girl, so as you can imagine, it will be even harder for me. Anyway, my father helps me and gives me some exercises. These are push-ups, chin-ups, pull-ups (not able to do even one pull-up/chin-up yet :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :( :( :( ), tree climbing, and carrying heavy things. For example, I carry my sister (40 kilos) and as many bags as I can when I am going to the supermarket. The key is to do every day something more. For instance, if today you'll do 30 push-ups, tomorrow try 35 or 40, the day after tomorrow do 45 or 50, etc... Also, first be sure to make perfect push-ups (not like these: http://www.warriorfitnessworld.com/imag ... ushup2.PNG Just saying; didn't mean to insult you or something) and then proceed to the pull-ups and the chin-ups. be careful, don't overdo it. Moreover, make a program. It will help you a lot. Write somewhere how many push/pull ups etc you're gonna do each day, how many sets, etc. Make goals (for ex: achievement of X push-ups in Y days). And finally, one more warning: the weights make your joints harder, which means that they become more fragile and breakable to the arm twists. Unless you don't care, I don't recommend the weights... Push/chin/pull ups and climbing are more effective.
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH :P
Society gets the kind of vandalism it deserves.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 pm

Do pull-ups. When you think you can't do another pull up, do one anyways. Try for 3 sets of 10 and go from there. Pull-ups are one of the most complete upper body exercises you can do. Persistence will pay off.

kunoichi,
Females are just as capable of performing BWEs as males are until you get to the extreme end of the spectrum. Being lighter weight offsets the lower muscular percentage and testosterone. If you stick with it, you'll be belting out pull-ups like it's nothing.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

kunoichi

Post by kunoichi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Psychlonic, what you say is true. I know girls who do pull-ups like it's nothing.

Btw, I recently bought a kayak and I practice a lot every day. I think that if you live near a sea, you should try it.
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH :P
Society gets the kind of vandalism it deserves.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:58 pm

I did some kayaking a few years ago, it was good. A surprisingly quiet way to get around on the surface of the water, if the opportunity ever arises.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:38 pm

Xanatos wrote:I did some kayaking a few years ago, it was good. A surprisingly quiet way to get around on the surface of the water, if the opportunity ever arises.
They actually did that in the navy here when the Frogmen were still a separate unit. Not sure about the new Maritine Special Operations Force right now, though. They'd go Kayakking for a whole fucking day. 24 full hours.
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!