Failed operations and escaping

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Firaku

Failed operations and escaping

Post by Firaku » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:14 am

In the event that all goes wrong and you are caught in the middle of an operation what sort of techniques have you used to escape?

There was only one time I was spotted and it went as follows:

Was on a corporation building site one time exploring by myself one time. I got within 100m of my objective before I was spotted by a single security guard above the 5th floor of an unfinished building near by. Apparently the building site had hired security at some point after my last operation there. Even when he called out to me I couldn't see him due to the echo off surrounding building and bad lighting. He had a really sweet vantage point, I'll give him that, but I still got in pretty deep before he spotted me.

Best excuse I ever used went like this:

Security guard: Do you have a permit to be on this site?
Me: Nope, I'm just playing hide and seek with a friend.
Security guard: Please get you friend and leave before I stop you for trespassing.

Got out my phone, faked a conversation with my imaginary friend. Then walked out of the building site while being watched by the security guard, vaulted the fence and left.

If I had known there was security I would have used line of sight techniques and used cover between us to move around.

Having experienced failures in the field, its evolved the tactics I employ during operations.
Humans are but empty books, and their hearts to be filled like pages.

Psychlonic

Re: Failed operations and escaping

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:03 pm

I'm always out in full camo and gear so I'm forced to rely purely on stealth instead of social engineering. It cuts off a way out, but it's sharpened my evasive skills as I really have no choice but to use them when shit hits the fan.

My write-up "Avoiding Spotlights at Ground Level" is based on a couple situations I've found myself in where police were spotlighting for me and I managed to get away with some prior knowledge of military doctrine on the issue. The first time was a piece of cake, however I thought I was going to die of exhaustion the second time lol. Not fun.

I'm not sure if it's even on the forum anymore or got wiped with the last crash this forum had, but I wrote about an operation I had back in 2006 where I was in a guy's garage snooping around when the light came on and he walked out into it. My escape route was cut off and I had to get right up behind a couple mattresses leaning against a wall so I was out of view. He couldn't see me, but since things were disturbed he was looking around and I knew it was a matter of time before he'd catch me. Rather than be reactive, I decided to be proactive and leap out from the mattresses and chase him back into the house, after which I ran off.

Fortunately, I've only had these sighting occur and got away successfully each time without speaking a word or having my face revealed. I'm going to go ahead and move this on over to Technique.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Firaku

Post by Firaku » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks, wasn't sure if it was in the right thread or not.
Humans are but empty books, and their hearts to be filled like pages.

preistpower

Post by preistpower » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:37 pm

I have my parkour to go back on and I also do a lot of research on the landscape I will be traversing.

I find old maps, pictures from peoples social networking sites of the area. I try and learn everything I can about the terrain so if I must escape someone, I have the advantage.

I also have a few things I can use to get out of a tough situation ( my semi-mace, also fireworks are quite a good distraction if your covers completely blown.

Blue_Social

Post by Blue_Social » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:49 pm

preistpower wrote:I have my parkour to go back on and I also do a lot of research on the landscape I will be traversing.

I find old maps, pictures from peoples social networking sites of the area. I try and learn everything I can about the terrain so if I must escape someone, I have the advantage.

I also have a few things I can use to get out of a tough situation ( my semi-mace, also fireworks are quite a good distraction if your covers completely blown.
I usually have a few packs of firecrackers in case a guard shows up.
Usually makes them wet themselves. Its bright and loud. Easy getaway. :)
"Eat healthy, exercise often, die anyways. Oh well, you might as well make your life as enjoyable as possible." ~Anonymous

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Blue_Social wrote:
preistpower wrote:I have my parkour to go back on and I also do a lot of research on the landscape I will be traversing.

I usually have a few packs of firecrackers in case a guard shows up.
Usually makes them wet themselves. Its bright and loud. Easy getaway. :)
I was going to say, just throw some thing explosive/shiny/on fire. I aluminum foil wrapped firecracker works amazingly.

Blue_Social

Post by Blue_Social » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:13 am

CokeCanNinja wrote: I was going to say, just throw some thing explosive/shiny/on fire. I aluminum foil wrapped firecracker works amazingly.
Really? Tin foil? I got tons of that stuff at my house.
I'm thinking about trying my first sneak out this weekend.
"Eat healthy, exercise often, die anyways. Oh well, you might as well make your life as enjoyable as possible." ~Anonymous

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:20 am

Blue_Social wrote:
CokeCanNinja wrote: I was going to say, just throw some thing explosive/shiny/on fire. I aluminum foil wrapped firecracker works amazingly.
Really? Tin foil? I got tons of that stuff at my house.
I'm thinking about trying my first sneak out this weekend.
Sometimes. If you just use tin foil tear it up into confetti. Throw it at them, so it's shininess draws their eye and distracts them, then run.

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:22 pm

AVE...

The most extreme thing I've seen in use was a homemade smoke grenade...

Careful planning, backup plans, some simple diversion, blending in, etc. But when everything else fails, then it's time for improvisation. In the shadows line between being a hunter and a hunted is very thin and situation changes constantly - only smart ones can change fast enough. In darkness I can rely on the other senses, than sight. So when everything fails, I make them blind. A modified flesh lamp works best - makes people disoriented and makes almost no sound. When they can't see, the odds are against them, since I adapted over the years to rely on other senses. Normal, healthy people for 90% of time rely on their sight. For me this is maybe 60%. In darkness I'm the hunter...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Opping is not my prime skill for going places I shouldn't, truly. I try not to get found in the first place, else, topple the guard and run as fast as your legs can carry you. Otherwise, pretend like you really didn't know you weren't supposed to be there. Ofcourse, there's one point where one thing would be more fit than another. And you can't ever succeed in the latter option if you're wearing a balaclava!
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Mr. Happy

Post by Mr. Happy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:49 am

i always have 2 ways to get away, 1 good excuse why i was doing what i was doing, and why i was wearing what i was wearing.