The Nooner's Training Log

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
nooner

The Nooner's Training Log

Post by nooner » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 am

Hey all, making an effort to get back into shape for nopping and the new year, so I'm gonna start posting a daily log. Keeps me honest and may give some inspiration for other people to post their own logs.
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Re: The Nooner's Training Log

Post by nooner » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:11 am

This was actually yesterday's workout. Today was my rest and recovery day. I kinda pushed my limits with this one, wanted to see what I could do vs. what I could do a few months ago. I was pleased, also beat to shit.

Cardio was interval sprints. I do these on a flat field. 40 seconds of light jogging(typically turns into power walking towards the end), and then 20 seconds of sprinting as fast as I can.

Interval Sprints: 7 Minutes(7 jog/sprint sets)

Strength was a combo strength/conditioning workout today. I did everything in pairs, typically a push/pull combo. In between each set for a pair I alternated either a set of 20 jumping jacks/5 diamond pushup burpees OR 10 squat tuck jumps. So!

1st pair:
4x5 pushups w/85 lb backpack
4x5 pullups w/15 lb vest

2nd pair:
4x5 handstand pushups(1st set w/vest, others unweighted)
4x5 chinups

3rd "pair":
4x10 ab wheel rollouts(from knees, w/15 lb vest)
4x30 sec one-armed planks(w/15 lb vest)
4x30 bicycle crunches(did these for speed, very nice burn after the first two)
4x30 sec "superman" back arches
4x5 sledghammer levers(front, bank, extended)

As far as conditioning goes, by the end I did 30 burpees, 60 squat-tuck jumps, and 120 jumping jacks in between all the sets.

I feel kinda like i cheated a bit by not doing my squats and calf raises but after the sprints, burpees, and jumps it was pretty clear in my first attempt at squats there disaster would occur at some point, so I'll leave those for tomorrow or monday(depending on how I feel tomorrow).
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:55 am

Tabata intervals were the name of the game for today, following in the footsteps of "kick the snot out of pasychosheep" this past saturday, today we served up a hearty helping of "get your ass kicked in ways you didn't know how by exercises you thought were easy.

As a point of reference, I'd never done tabata intervals before.

So, original plan was to do traditional 20 seconds on/10 seconds off for four minute sets of the following:
Bodyweight squats.
Unweighted pullups.
Unweighted pushups.
Burpees(with jump).

Ha!

I got in the full set of squats. One and a half pullup intervals. All the pushup intervals, but interspersed between other stuff before the end, and most of the burpees, though they lost their jump towards the end. I got the full 16 minutes in, but past 6 minutes in or so it became a mad scramble to just find some exercise my body was willing to do for another twenty seconds. Bicycle crunches, high speed jumping jacks, and sprinting in place all found their way in between more squat, pushup, and burpee sets.

I'm still having a hard time typing now, fifteen minutes later, haha. I will never underestimate tabata exercises again, I have a new found respect
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:32 am

Hey all. I have 19 views on this thread so far and only three or four of those are me, so I know someone's watching. Get off your ass and start a log of your own so you can show me up! Sheesh.

Anyway.

Started off late tonight, like one in the morning(so technically it's not my wednesday workout, it's my thursday workout, but fuck that, I'm working out again on thursday(today) anyway. I like working out late anyway, I think it adapts me better for opping anyway.

Started out with six minutes of tabata sprints. Jesus christ, I'm still amazed at how much tabata intervals of anything kicks my ass. I only did six minutes because I wanted to save some gas for my strength workout.

Strength:
4x5 standard pushups(w/85 lb backpack)
4x5 pullups(w/15 lb vest) - Didn't get full ROM on the last set, gotta work on that
4x10 squats(w/85 lb backpack) - Wish I could fit more sand in my backpack. I know I have a higher upper weight limit.
3x5 handstand pushups(w/15 lb vest) - only did half of these with the vest, which is odd, because I can usually squeeze out the full three sets with it. Weird.
3x10 ab wheel rollouts(w/15 lb vest)
3x30 bicycle crunches

Notes:
I had to cut my strength workout short because in between handstand sets and ab work I noticed that the chinchilla I got my girlfriend for christmas a few years back was lying on his side heaving and wheezing, so I had to stop what I was doing, get her, make him comfortable for his last few hours, and help her with the whole grieving thing. Kind of a bummer, he was like a little fuzzy gray ninja. Anyway, in relation to working out, I feel like I'm plateauing a bit. I need to get more weight going, and different style workouts. I'm lookin to spend the next spare sixty bucks I have on a new heavy duty backpack and a big army surplus duffel bag and some more sand, so I can add more weight to my bodyweight style exercises and go back to sandbag training to mix it up a bit. Hard thing is finding a spare sixty bucks.

I've got cardio again tomorrow(thursday), and cardio/strength on friday, then it's off to upstate new york for my karate dojo's annual black belt weapons training weekend. I'll probably post again tomorrow, maybe friday, and then you shouldn't hear from me again till monday.
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:09 pm

No workout yesterday, life got in the way. Made up for it today

Tabata again, four four minute sets. Alternated jumping jacks, mountain climbers, burpees, and bicycle crunches. Rested two and a half minutes between sets. Was dying by the end, but I managed to crank em all out! Really proud of myself on this one.

WORKOUT:
Tabata Intervales, Jumping Jacks, Mountain Climbers, Burpees, Bicycle Crunches
4x4:00 minutes, 2:30 rest between sets.
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:35 pm

I'm back! Yesterday I woke up and did my katas, and then last night was karate and judo class, which totally gassed me. Should be making another post later with my full workout for today.
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Haha, this is actually yesterday's log, forgot to post it...

og, first workout since judo. Haven't been feeling well since the weekend. Dizzy spells and vertigo. After a looksie online I've come to the conclusion that I most likely have labyrinthitis. Can be caused by heavy drinking, sudden changes in elevation, flying or traveling by train, bacterial/viral infection, or getting hit in the head. My weekend fills like half those symptoms so..yeah. Basically my inner ear is swollen, and should return to normal in 1-3 weeks.

Anyway, didn't really feel safe doing a workout the past couple days. Every time I started to exert myself the room would spin extra hard and I'd feel like yakking. Been real fun.

But I felt a bit better today, so here goes:

CARDIO:
3 mile run/walk. Didn't do too well at this, I attribute it to the vertigo, and only getting an hour and a half of sleep last night.

STRENGTH:
3x5 pushups w/85 lb backpack
3x5 horizontal rows w/15 lb vest
3x5 HSPUs w/15 lb vest
3x5 pullups w/15 lb vest
3x5 pistols w/15 lb vest
3x5 chinups w/15 lb vest
3x5 squats w/85 lb backpack
3x10 calf raises w/85 lb backpack
3x5 sledgehammer levers(10 lb sledge, front, back, and extended)
3x10 ab wheel rollouts(from knees w/15 lb vest)
3x10 hanging leg raises
3x20 second plank holds(w/85 lb backpack)

Normally this would be the point where I complain about not having enough weight, but I actually felt pretty good after this, I think my week off of any serious workout coupled with my weekend of partying kinda set me back a little. That's what I get for slacking off, hahaha.
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:52 am

Just ran through my hand and weapons katas today, along with some jumping jacks. I started doing hill sprints, but the mud from the snow melt combined with my vertigo made for a pretty risky workout environment, heh. Tomorrow's full-on cardio and strength.
Eat your veggies...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:29 am

Looks like you're quickly making progress, keep it up.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

nooner

Post by nooner » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:24 pm

Thanks Xanatos. On the strength front, it's really a matter of just regaining what I lost from a year and a half of laziness. But I can definitely say I'm in better cardiovascular shape than I've ever been.

Anyway, training didn't happen on sunday, life blew up in my face. But last night was karate and judo, which almost made up for it.

Today was a mile run, and then some parkour. Kept the running light so my legs would still be fresh for the parkour. Worked on my dash vaults, mostly. First time attempting them, I had em pretty good by the end but they're still sloppy as hell, lol. Biggest thing for me to get over is getting my legs fully through and extended. It's psychological, not physiological, I'm just scared of getting a foot caught and either falling back on my head or jamming my ankle up. I've got the same problem on my monkey and kong vaults, so I worked those a bit afterwards. All in all I was happy with the practice, and glad it was warm enough for there to be no ice so I can actually practice, hahaha.

My cousin(Moonpaw on the forums here) came over last night and we spent the evening with my brother, making smokebombs. Was a hell of a good time, our next meeting we're gonna work on pullcord detonation for them(gonna need to make some black powder fuses for that and pick up some more supplies) and maybe design a model that'd work in the field a bit better. This round we just used capped cardboard tubes to house the KNO3/Sugar and lit it with some twine soaked in WD40. Pyrotechnics on a budget, hahaha.
Eat your veggies...

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm

My problem is I really don't follow a routine anymore. I just do random shit until the areas I want worked are exhausted and my heart rate is high, then do something different the next day. For the most part, I do similar exercises from day to day, but they're different enough to give me different types of strength. Day one might be weighted squats, day two might be squat jumps, then day three might be hindu squats.

I don't think I could keep up with a daily log, so props. However, if there's interest, I've been on the verge of writing a spreadsheet cataloging my diet for a week. If nothing else, there could be some lulz from the sheer amount of calories I consume.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

nooner

Post by nooner » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:40 am

Yeah, the routine gets monotonous sometimes. I try to mix it up a bit while still sticking to core tenets, like the weighted push/pull basics. I don't get too bored from my strength routine as much as I get bored doing the same cardio all the time. That's why I alternate between the tabata stuff, regular running, my jumping jacks/burpee ladder progressions, and biking(which it's just been too damn cold to do lately). Keeping a log is sort of a way of keeping myself honest. I also started doing a photo log, taking a picture of myself front and side in the mirror on the first of every month.

I'd be interested in seeing a diet log, psych, just so I could compare it to what I'm doing right now. I'm not looking to gain too much weight so it would be interesting to compare nutrition balance/calorie intake.

Anyway, I have just not been able to cram as much exercise into this week as I'd like. Did a circuit of 20 jumping jacks/burpee ladder up to 10 burpees tonight, as well as ran through my katas. Only working a half day tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to get in a run and a full strength workout tomorrow, haven't done a weighted chin or pullup in like a week, not feeling good about that.
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Haha, wow, fell off the bus a bit on this, didn't I? Anyway, still training, just haven't been posting. Got the 1-arm spread-leg pushup down pretty good now, working towards getting legs together.

Today's workout:
Run(about two miles, last third was walking, though up steep hills so it felt good)
Karate/Judo

I'm feeling better and better about my running. I went a shorter distance than usual today, but a higher intensity. I need to start timing my miles.
Eat your veggies...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 am

There's been some inactivity lately, thought you'd given up. Good to see you're still commited though.

I should probably improve on my running as well a bit; I can run fast but not for very long, and in a survival situation I don't want to live entirely off adrenaline.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

nooner

Post by nooner » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:54 am

Yeah, that's been my issue for most of my life. Great sprinting, not so great on the long-distance cardio. Always been in good anaerobic shape, could wrestle or fight for a long time, but my aerobic endurance always sucked. I've been running and biking long distances for a while now, though, interspersing it with my sprints and other anaerobic work and I think I've managed to keep my speed while really improving my aerobic cardiovascular abilities.

No workout today, pretty destroyed from judo last night, had a big brown belt come down(had probably five inches and fifty pounds on me) and work with us. I gave him the best run for his money over the night, I think(I'm a green belt, 5'10" 185 lbs), but I still went home feeling like I was in a car accident, hahaha. A good night of judo by any standards. Did something to my foot, though, so I didn't run for fear of aggravating it more and turning it into a serious injury, and my joints and muscles definitely didn't feel up to a strength workout. Should be good tomorrow, though.
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:27 am

My little brother decided to start working out with me when it works out with our schedules, so he joined me today on everything I did.

Today's workout:
Both of us:
2.5 mile walk/run - Had a bit of an issue here, I injured my foot slightly somehow in judo, so we could only run intermittently as we went along. Kept up a good pace, though, so it was at least a nice little cardio burn.

Strength:
Me:
OAPU: 3x5 each side
Towel Grip Pullups: 3x5
HSPU(w/15 lb vest): 3x5
Pistol Squats: 2x5(cut these short, knee and foot were bothering me)

Brother:
Pushups w/85 lb backpack: 3x5
Chinups: 3x5
HSPU: 3x5
Front Squats w/85 lb backpack: 3x10

Unfortunately we were pressed for time and missed out on core training, shame on us. Leave that for tomorrow.
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:37 am

What follows is actually yesterday's log, took today off to rest. I actually went skiing all day yesterday so that was my legwork, just did upper body and core work when I got home.

Workout:
3x5 Pushups w/85 lb backpack
3x5 Chinups w/15 lb vest
3x5 HSPU w/15 lb vest
2x10 ab wheel rollouts from knees w/15 lb vest
2x10 20 second planks w/85 lb backpack
2x10 oblique side bends w/30 lb sandbag
2x10 hanging leg raises
2x10 bicycle twist crunches
Eat your veggies...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:59 am

Been slacking or just busy?

Anyway, I took the advice from your sig: I'm eating my veggies.

nooner

Post by nooner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Haha, kind of a combination. Tired of working for the man, so I've been putting most of my time and energy into finishing my first webgame and making some money. Whatever I got left usually goes to my regular job and being a dad. Hopefully I should be out of the woods(mostly) as far as coding my game goes by the end of this month, until then it's workout whenever I can.
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Oh, and good on ya with the veggies thing =) Been my motto for years. I only like em raw, though :-P
Eat your veggies...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:14 am

I'm starting to eat healthier, but with year 12 & everything I probably wouldn't have time for a training schedule. Although I do my best to practice Parkour whenever I can.

And good on you, screw the man! You should only have to work for yourself and for the benefit of those that deserve it; not for some jerk upstairs who's constantly planning his next vacation or what car to buy next.

nooner

Post by nooner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Managed to squeeze in a workout today.

Started with a 3.5 mile sprint/walk. Did tabata interval sprints until I felt like I was gonna keel over, then jogged and walked the rest of the way. I think I got seven intervals in(intervals, not sets, hahaha). It was snowing pretty hard and it was beautiful as I went around the lake. Some brave souls were out ice fishing, haha.

In the middle of my run(after sprints) I stopped at the playground and cranked out three sets of a five pullup, ten dip, ten row circuit, then back to the running.

I got home and headed into my strength workout:
3x5 behind-the-head pullups
3x5 handstand pushups
3x10 clap pushups
3x5 standard pullups
3x10 triangle pushups
3x5 towel rows
3x10 oblique side bends(w/50 lb sandbag)
3x10 ab wheel rollouts(from knees)
3x10 hanging leg lifts
3x10 bicycle twist crunches

My knees were feeling a little iffy today so I didn't do any heavy leg work. Running and walking hills in the snow/ice was surprisingly taxing on my quads so i didn't feel too bad about it. Hopefully they'll feel better tomorrow.
Eat your veggies...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:57 am

It's been a while since your last update, I trust you havn't grown fat & lazy?

nooner

Post by nooner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:00 am

Ha, not at all, in fact, I've trimmed down a bit. My girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago and I moved out of the apartment and have been essentially living like a nomad and working my ass off since. Very limited computer access due to couch surfing and floor crashing in various places so I can't really update at the moment. Still keeping on the training, though, should have more permanent residence soon.
Eat your veggies...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Ah, I see. There's been some inactivity lately, and I havn't had the time (or motivation) to get out myself. But holidays are coming...

nooner

Post by nooner » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:28 am

Oy! Haven't updated this recently enough at ALL.

Um, let's see, where am I at, now? Consistently below 180 lbs for the first time in two years(that feels damn good), and I'm a much more in-shape 175 lbs than I ever was before. Cardio and strength continue to improve, as well as overall general body management. I've gotten my sleep habits under control, as well, which has been a big help. Right now, I can honestly say that I am in the best shape of my life.

Today was a cardio/core/legs day, so here we go!

3 mile bike ride(was my first ride with my son on the back of the bike, very very windy, the extra resistance made it feel like a lot more than 3 miles).
4 mile walk/run finished off with some wind sprints.
Ran through all my katas.
3x5 Unweighted one-legged pistol squats(getting full range of motion on these now, hits the glutes and hammies as well as the quads)
3x10 Oblique side bends holding 80lb sandbag in one hand.(10 reps each side per set)
3x5 ab wheel rollout from knees with 50 lb backpack(working my way up to a full standing rollout)
3x10 hanging knee raises - if you do these, make sure you roll your hips up in addition to just pulling your knees to your chest, works the abs and lower back a lot more.

A nice side effect of the hanging/sandbag stuff is I got a good serious grip workout from all this as well.
Eat your veggies...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:40 am

I've got to work on my sleep pattern as well. I keep switching between nocturnal and... un-nocturnal. I'll probably go for a Parkour run on the weekend as well.

nooner

Post by nooner » Sat May 01, 2010 3:14 am

Yeah, sleeping's always been a challenge for me, I am a SERIOUS insomniac and have been for literally all my life, going back to infancy. Something that I've found actually really helps a lot is, somewhat counter-intuitively, taking a nap around 2 in the afternoon. Not a long nap, 40 minutes, max, and that is from lying down time to getting up time. Sometimes I don't even fall asleep before the time is up, I just close my eyes and relax for a while. For whatever reason, though it has REALLY nailed down my biorhythms. I'm more energetic during the daytime and I sleep better at night. Napping in the sun is best, I find, I think it has to do with melatonin levels. Whatever, I'm not about to over-analyze it, I just know it works.
Eat your veggies...

nooner

Post by nooner » Sun May 02, 2010 1:36 am

For some reason my body wasn't up for the run today. Run turned into a jog, then a 2 mile walk. **shrug** didn't get much sleep last night and I had to get up two hours earlier than usual so I kinda blame that.

Strength:
3x7 handstand pushups w/15 lb vest. I do these on cinderblocks now so I can get a full range of motion.
3x7 pullups w/25 lb backpack
3x8 pushups with 110 lb backpack
3x8 bodyweight rows with 50 lb backpack
3x5 deadlifts w/200 lb sandbag
3x10 oblique side bends w/80 lb sandbag
3x10 hanging leg lifts

I've reached pretty much the limit on my sandbag dead lifts, used every last bit of sand I had plus the weighted vest. Need to get more sand. Also wanted to crank out 8 reps instead of 7 on the handstand pushups, but this was the first time doing my increased rep count with the weighted vest so I was pretty gassed by the last set.

Starting to look and feel pretty freaking strong, though, it's nice. Those sandbag deadlifts are a monster total body workout.
Eat your veggies...