Update - I lied. I could resolve it.

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Psychlonic

Update - I lied. I could resolve it.

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:04 pm

-cleaned-
Last edited by Psychlonic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Re: I have a bit of a situation I can't resolve...(Self Defense)

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Sounds like somebody needs to have a good chat with a fist or two.

Teach her to target weak spots (throat, nose, eyes, kidneys, groin, etc) and to do it fast. Women in general are more nimble than men and with a "typical" 18-year-old figure she shouldn't have mych trouble avoiding attacks. Metsu-bishi is a cheap alternative to mace and - if prepared properly - can do far more damage, if that's what you're after. However the situation sounds like it needs to be dealt with as quickly as possible before she needs to employ any sort of defensive maneuvers. If you're considering driving over there to teach the guy a lesson; don't procrastinate.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:52 pm

As far as things go, i'd avoid giving her advice of the "hand to hand" sort - true, an 18 year old girl is capable of defeating a fully grown man. But an 18 year old girl with no background or training in self defense? sure, she may get the first hit in, but chances are things will go downhill fast after that. she'd be better off trying to run away if it came to a hand to hand self defense situation.

Chemical deterrents seem like her best bet on evening the playing field should he assault her, as it takes very little practice to mace someone in the face and then run/call the police. buying some type of spray online shouldn't be too hard, as they're not expensive at all. just make sure she gets a few so she can practice spraying one to get used to the spray pattern/range.

But i'm just going to re-emphasize, as i'm sure you already know - hand to hand means something has gone terribly wrong. if she's not able to completely incapacitate him on her first shot (provided she can get a strike through on a more experienced opponent who's expecting it), she'd be worse off than if she'd just ran.

So, i'd suggest just giving her a plan like this:

1. try to escape
2. if escape is not an option, or fails, use some sort of mace/spray
3. attempt to escape again, repeating 2 and 3 until she escapes
4. call the police and put the guy where he belongs (jail -> court -> prison)
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:08 pm

I'd go with the others on this one. Lest She's allowed to go out of the house, help her by teaching her some evasive tactics. And, in case the shit hits the fan: Perhaps the combatives book in the resources section is a tad too much, but at least teach her things like the head targets, and the groin.

Most girls I know that have done a form of Self-Defense class prefer two things to strike above all else: The throat and the groin. And I've seen girls drop the biggest guys by using a simple Jab to the throat, long story short, the big bulky bearded biker went flat on his ass, imagine what a punch could do?

I'm in no way sure how the guy in question is built, but any kind of such 'dirty' tactics should help her out a whole bunch in defending herself.

Lest the situation spills over: Advise her to stay out of it. Even though I'd probably be the kind of idiot to try bashing someone to bits if he hurt my mother, a saviour has to think of his own well-being before saving another: else you'll have two victims.

Getting weapons involved does not sound like a good tactic to me, if he's strong enough to overpower a fit, young girl, well, she'll be in even deeper shit if he disarms her and returns 'fire', so indeed, no bats, knives, canes, sticks, umbrellas, or even worse, firearms.

If she's not allowed out of the house to be taught? (I was not sure wich of the two was the case D:)
that's pretty fucked up. One of the last solutions would be to introduce your friends lefty and righty, or try to catch him 'with his pants down'. Try calling law-enforcement or, if she doesn't have that time: You. You can, like a computer, give the information to 911 or whatever you use.
"Psy help!" is shorter than "I have to report Domnestic Violence on violent bastard street 79, NY." after all.

I am, once more, not the most experienced on this, but I hope this helps out, at least.
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:50 am

-cleaned-
Last edited by Psychlonic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:46 am

have you considered cray powder, sand, pepper, and glass shards blinding powder? (okay, this might not be the most effective or most responsible option, but whatever works, right?)

Perhaps the latter is a bit overdone, but anyone can at least get crayons, sand and pepper, and the glass shards are a tad... overdone perhaps, but you'll never know.

Next to that, can't you try offering the ladies a better place to stay? This doesn't have to mean your place, but for as far as I know, there's foundations here that support and offer home to girls and woman who've sat through abuse, and there's ladies there that went through more than multiple beatings. Perhaps there's something like that over in the states too?

In that case you don't allways need to catch the guy with his pants down: They can simply move out somewhere safe and try to get the fucker out of her home through other means.
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:33 pm

-cleaned-

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:24 pm

Psychlonic wrote:Sometimes being a friend means doing what's best even if everyone hates you for it.
And not just being a good friend, but being a good person.

Before you send them in, though, you can try sending in a report of what's been going on yourself: explain their position.
You could allso, next time you talk to her, ask her why they haven't left yet.

I guess sometimes people are just afraid of the change, and what the people outside of the home will think of the situation.
Change means stress, and not everyone can deal with that properly.

I guess giving her bear mace, beating the guy up, or a report to the department of human services would be the best options. I think you can put the responsible priorities up yourself. I'd say you get her the mace, and wait with beating the guy untill the department of human services would prove themselves useless. There's no need to get your ass in trouble. With only a little bit of bad luck you'll be arrested for assault and you'll be 'further away from home' than you were at first.
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:22 am

If you go down there and fight this guy, make sure he fears for his life, this might sound like a bit much but hear me out. If you go down and push him around and then leave he'll only get more pissed and he'll probably go after the mom and girl more than before (maybe after a short grace period following the beating). However if this guy knows he'll die/be crippled/undergo serious bodily harm he's much less likely to repeat his mistakes again in the future. If you're going to scare someone into doing something you need to make sure they fear as much as you can make them fear, it's how people who victimize others go about their thing...

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:01 am

Guess we shall find out what happened...
Fuck off.

nooner

Post by nooner » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:36 am

Fuck, man, this sucks. I've known a few girls with abusive fathers/stepfathers before and there honestly isn't too much that you can do besides be there for them and encourage them to get out/report it.

I know that you wanna go beat the shit out of him, and it would probably feel good, but stealththief's right, beating on him will just make it worse once you're gone. I mean, yeah, if you make it perfectly clear that you will end him if he hurts her or her mom again it might work. Or it might just make him angrier and he'll do it worse after you're gone. Or he'll refrain for a while, bottle it up, and then fucking snap some time a few months later.

Yeah if he hurts them again you can go down and end him, probably. But what if next time he goes a step too far and permanently injures one or both of them? Or kills them? You getting revenge after that may make you feel marginally better but it won't undo the damage being done.

The girl needs to get out. If it means leaving her mom there, then she has to do that, but the girl just needs to get out, now. There's help in almost every state for battered women, she needs to get that help and get out.
Eat your veggies...

Psychlonic

Re: I lied. I could resolve it.

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:10 am

-cleaned-

darktorn

Re: Update - I lied. I could resolve it.

Post by darktorn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:45 pm

You have a face tattoo ? wow didn't expect that :P
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:23 am

darktorn wrote:You have a face tattoo ? wow didn't expect that :P
?
Pics of Psych?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:26 pm

If Psych did post a picture of himself he'd probably be wearing a mask. :lol:
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:43 am

Xanatos wrote:If Psych did post a picture of himself he'd probably be wearing a mask. :lol:
I didn't scroll up and read the update, I assumed a photo showed him with his tattoo face.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:00 pm

-cleaned-

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:40 am

Psychlonic wrote:If anybody gets any cute ideas about stalking me in person, it's not like I'm the one who's going to be the victim.
I was thinking exactly this while reading through the last few posts.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum