For the bare beginners: escaping from your family.

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Captain Winky

For the bare beginners: escaping from your family.

Post by Captain Winky » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:52 pm

Note: This guide is for the bare beginners to Night Ops. I Had found that this was a major issue for me to tackle, and hence, I wanted to share this with all the other beginners out there (yes, you all, and I, agree that I am an utter noob at night ops, but such does not keep me from learning!), to help overcome their first 'big' step towards Night Ops!

Intro
Yes, this is usually the first part of an op. And not only just that, but allso, to my experience, the most nerve-wrecking and most dangerous part of it. If you fuck up out there you can at least leg it and kick the neccesairy ass. Should you fuck up when you're leaving your home, not only are you caught before the Op has started, this will allso mean that if you're using, for example, the OBE method, you have allso just utterly destroyed your Alibi, and when that happens... Well, finish the story and colour the pictures.

But hey! You live in your home, so thankfully, you can do the neccesairy scouting before actually leaving the house... silently!

Making Priorities: Finding the best Exit point!
Well, you can take a bit more time in finding out what does what, what goes where, and what goes how when you're exitting your own house! when you start with a plan for this, you just start out with listing all the paths out of your house. For example:

out of my bedroom window (visible on the streets, but to nobody in the house, silent, and little noise)
out of the study window, off the roof, and out through the garden door (passing the garden light)
out of the study window, onto the neighbour's roof (or balcony), out through the neighbour's garden.
Down the stairs (wood, spiral...), and through the front door. (heavy lock, deep click)
Down the stairs, through the door to the living room, out the back door, out through the garden door (passing the garden light)
Down the stairs, through the door to the living room, out the back door, out through the neighbour's garden.

Right now, I have most method's of exit, it is going to be time to put these in order. Now, the back yard is in view of all my housemates, and I can NEVER guarantee they are sleeping.
Next to that, the chance that I'm sure my neighbours sleep is even smaller. So naturally, that comes below even my own back yard.
Now, these conditions may differ per op you are going to make, because at diffirent times, come diffirent priorities. At 3AM, I just want to go out with as little sight and sound as possible. Wich basically brings me to either crawling out through my own window, or through the front door. So that would make things:

1) out of my bedroom window
2) down the wooden spiral stairs and through the front door.
3) out of the study window, onto the neighbour's roof or balcony, out through the neighbour's garden (no lights, no sound)
4) out of the study window, off the roof, out through the garden door (passing the garden light)
5) down the wooden spiral stairs, through the door to the living room, out the back door, out through the neighbour's garden.
6) down the wooden spiral stairs, through the door to the living room, out the back door, out through the garden door (passing the garden light)

My first option, however, is impossible. I do not have a rope, and even less places to attach it to. Not to mention said rope would leave traces on the street, getting back in would be a pain, and everyone could see I was up to something. Wich brings me to options number two.
Though all the backyard options take less effort to be silent. The chance that I'll be seen is grand. And I'd rather trust that a sound will be cancelled out, than that a housemate throws a coïncidental glance out the window and notice me trying to silently open the garden door on my knees in the middle of the light.
The front door is neat and silent, and at 3Am, it is not highly likely someone will bother to push the curtain aside in the street. The curtains in other people's houses are not only usefull to keep us froom peeking on them having sex in the bedrooms: this allso saves us from those late-night lovers!

Once you've found all suitable methods: Practice them. And when you're practicing these: Just go out to take a walk! don't try to do these directly from an Op, just go out and take a walk! people can't blame you for what you haven't done, and so, just a midnight walk under the excuse of: "I didn't think you would approve of me going out at 3AM" is really just that, at that point. Once you're comfortable with them, you can use them for an Op!

Beginning Night Oppers: Building up the courage to your first escape!
This really can be a bitch. I only did ops when doing those would be appropriate. Namely when my parents were out of town, and my brother being so Isolated from sound, building an Alibi nobody could prove wrong was a piece of cake. Now I'm going to op more often and without the comfort of the oldies being out of town, Exfiltrating has become really nerve-wrecking and just getting out of the house would be the part that made me turn around in fright and decide not to do it in the end.

To the younger or less experienced oppers (and lets face it: we need to create a chance in order to gain experience! so sooner or later, we are faced with this problem before we can learn.) This can honestly be a bitch, a complete and utter bitch. And for those beginning operatives, this might just be the one of the most important steps to actually getting out there!

The key is to take small steps, if you really don't dare to! Just, at first, sneak downstairs at night a few times, to get a drink, if you don't get commentary, proceed! When you do, take those things up for next time! When I first snuck out of the house, through the front door, my mother asked if I went out. I replied honestly that I did, and figured that I locked the front door when I went back in! wich it Usually isn't. Offcourse, later, I tried again, took a walk, came back, and snuck back in. I had succeeded, appearantly! Now, I can start doing shit outside.

The key to daring is taking small steps. The ones that are only slightly scary, and once that isn't scary anymore, it became all the more braver, and you can move on to the next step!
Simply learning to sneak out, you find, will make you more and more brave, more confident in what you do. And just overcoming this, to all the big oppers out there, simple steps, will kickstart your existance as a night opper. Even this to most now little thing, is just as much an obstacle in the beginning. It is simply overcoming this and repeating it untill it is easy is what will begin to put you in the shoes of all those big posters out there!
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

stealththief

Re: For the bare beginners: escaping from your family.

Post by stealththief » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:54 am

This is a problem that a lot of people face, glad you put this up, I never had to sneak out the house but it's a good resource.

Ysidro

Post by Ysidro » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:31 am

Oh God, I remember the first time I tried sneaking out of my house. Unfortunately, the only feasible exit was through my window underneath my parent's room. My room is in the basement so I had a window well that should have been easy to get in and out of. Getting out was fine, but on the way back in gravity took hold and I fell into my room. My foot caught hold of the curtain and pulled it right off, it was pretty embarrassing; but I didn't get cuaght so I am not complaining.
“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”
-Ben Franklin

Secant
Admin

Post by Secant » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:34 am

Thanks for posting this, I've made a formatted pdf version available on the resources guide.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:38 am

It's funny how much of an art this is all on it's own. I remember living with the folks and having to climb out onto this slanted metal roof that was nearly at a 45 degree angle, crab walking across several feet trying not to make too much noise or slide off, then drop down onto an oil tank for the heaters then finally climb down off of that. Once on the ground, I had to walk a mile through open fields to reach any other sort of building since my parents lived just out of the city limits.

What a pain in the ass. Eventually I started just letting myself slide off my roof and then go into a roll when I hit the ground. Most of the time, the rest of the operation was a vacation in comparison to all this crap.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:56 pm

Psychlonic wrote:Most of the time, the rest of the operation was a vacation in comparison to all this crap.
This is exactly why I wrote this. I am not the best of writers and most certainly not the best op oppers at all, but this is the most difficult, unnerving and important part of the Op, the pressure is unbearable for myself and even last night caused me to turn around. I was not ready.

I was wondering if anyone had any other tips on the matter now we're on the topic?
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:41 pm

I remember the topic of drugging your parents or slipping sleeping pills in their drink often came up on totse. A word of advice for new oppers on this - just don't do it. seriously, it's over complicating things, taking massive unnecessary risks, besides being just plain stupid. If you can't find a conventional/socially engineered method of sneaking out, then you need to reevaluate your situation until you do find one.

Obviously, this guide deals quite well with the conventional stealth methods, but let us not forget social engineering. Have a friend who would like to get into opping with you, and has a much easier house to sneak out of? try it over there first.

Not an option? take up an interest in camping, get a cheap tent, and camp out in the backyard/woods behind or around your house. a tent outside is much easier to sneak out of, but keep in mind that this inherently looks suspicious, so the first couple times you may want to just camp incase you're being checked on.

Taking a run around 10-11pm isn't unheard of, and if needed, you can stash gear outside earlier in the day, go for a "run" around 10 or 11, hit up your gear stash, and op for 45 minutes or so before returning home. this parallels well if you take an interest in other types of opping-based fitness and working out, as to your parents it will seem as if you've just developed an interest in getting in shape/ect.

That's all i've got for now, but social engineering, while not a method i'll ever use out in the field, can be a great place to start for those of us who are less experienced sneaking out of a parent's house.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Yeah, I remember that topic too! The most stupid part about it is, if you think about it. Mostly the drinks people take before going to bed is either coffee, or a bitter or some kind (or a simple beer), neither of those work good with drugs...

Taking a walk outside is great, but, simply telling the cops 'I was out taking a run between then and then' is not going to help you during the investigation.

a good, Socially engineered option would be the best, but such is not allways an option. Hence, this guide is based on stealth, becuase I don't think beginners are ready for partners just yet...

Today, I did a new test: The sound test.
The sound test is basically a thorough test you do concerning what sound you here where From a certain point. So, for example, I know what my parents or my brother can hear from their rooms in the middle of the night. At the same time, I checked what they could see. In short: I did a quick test. Figures that if I put my phone playing music on the loudest volume, it would not be heard from my parents bedroom if it was by the garden door (they could if it was by the back door, though). And it would be more easy to hear the front door, opposed to the back door.

All you do is put your phone or MP3 player playing loud music by a point of interest, and check how much the target would hear from this position. In the case of going out at midnight: their bedrooms. Preferably as loud as possible. Figures I can put my phone at full Volume, it would not be heard by my parent's bedroom if I were at the garden door.

Next to that, I found out that their bedroom window is luxaflex'd. Lest they crawl out of bed, they're not going to see what's happening out there!
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

vonunov

Post by vonunov » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Not a bad idea, there. Just bear in mind that your mobile can't simulate the creaking of the floor or the resonance of you stomping around the house, so you've got to watch that sort of thing too, and not rely entirely on whether you can hear that limited range of sound from the phone.
Meet me down by the railroad track.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:46 pm

what I might've forgotten to add is that the sound my phone makes is of a higher volume than the other noises I make. If I know the sound is safe on the phone, I am allso safe on the sounds I should make.
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

grayboy

Post by grayboy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:53 am

I am going to try sneaking out tonight...I am thinking leave a dvd on? I will wait til like 3am when they are in there deepest sleep, I will be tired, but I have got some proplus that should do the trick :D
I am probably just off to check out a nearby field.

Baby steps ftw!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:50 pm

Very good; a small step is still a step forward. Know your limits and stay safe (and hidden).
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ysidro

Post by Ysidro » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:18 am

A baby step is better than no step at all, though three is a little late in my opinion. I might head out at 2, but then again I don't know the sleeping schedule of your parents so whatever you think would be the best.
“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”
-Ben Franklin

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:27 am

I don't usually set a specific time, I just wait up 'til everyone goes to bed and sneak out about 20 minutes later (they usually go to bed when they're dead tired, so they fall asleep easy).
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:21 am

my old man usually goes to bed at half past one. Seeing I'm used to not falling asleep that fast (an hour and a half) I usually take the certain for the uncertain and just assume I inherited that from my parents. I've noticed they sleep sounder than me, but 3AM is usually my own bet. I'm in the worst position and many an op has been blown for improper sleep. Though as Ysdiro noted: the best is usually to go out around 1-ish, 2-ish if you are certain your parents are asleep.

Allso: make sure that your next day allows you to. Opping in the weekend is going to turn out horrid for you around these times. I've seen the streets crowded at half past three AM on friday and saturday nights.

If you have to go late: take a very calm day, and make sure you have a calm day the day after.

Allso keep in mind: 'covert' roof-snooping is harder to justify than taking the back or front door in case you get caught! (the way of the shadow has a delightfull piece on constructing your alibi, I believe...)
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

ILTST

Post by ILTST » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:45 pm

One tip for sneaking out of your house at night without getting caught by your parents is to open the door you're leaving out of 10 minutes before you leave and then leave it cracked. That way if it wakes them up when you open it and they check on you you'll be in your room as usual or you were just letting a cat in cause it was scraching at the door for you to open it.
http://t-militia.org
http://forum.rorta.net/index.php
http://shadowrx.com/forums/index.php

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:05 am

Nice guide. It's pretty easy for me to sneak out, because I'm always the last one awake (except for sometimes my brother) and I let my cats in and out late at night. There is a dinger (makes a loud ding sound when opened or closed) on our front door, but I can unplug the dinger, use the backdoor, or use one of two easy to access windows.

MLB

Post by MLB » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:39 am

Sorry to be a thread necromancer here but I need some major help

I live in a 3rd story apartment. Its not one with fire escapes or anything. just the door, or the balcony.
Mom is a heavy sleeper, but the neighbors, not so much. The landlord of all the properties in the area has Rent a cops patrolling at all hours so me just being outside will get my booty busted.

Tips, tricks, advice? Im a new Opper and this would be my first big-ish step.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:23 am

Hmm... seems like just getting outside the apartment can be an op in itself. Learn the guard's patrol routes and find gaps in the security (i.e: times/places you can sneak past). Stick to the shadows as much as possible - if there are any - and tread quietly.

Now getting outside is the easy part, getting back inside is another matter. I havn't really been in this situation before... to me this seems like a jailbreak-style op but I've never had to sneak back into prison.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:44 pm

MLB wrote:Sorry to be a thread necromancer here but I need some major help

I live in a 3rd story apartment. Its not one with fire escapes or anything. just the door, or the balcony.
Mom is a heavy sleeper, but the neighbors, not so much. The landlord of all the properties in the area has Rent a cops patrolling at all hours so me just being outside will get my booty busted.

Tips, tricks, advice? Im a new Opper and this would be my first big-ish step.
Rappeling? I've considered it. Not from three stories high, though. And getting back up is always a problem...
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

MLB

Post by MLB » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:42 pm

And another issue; my mom may go to bed early, but if I wanted to get out at a sufficient time ( 12:00-1:00 a.m ) i'd have a lot to worry about because she leaves for work early in the morning ad gets up earlier to get ready. Usually between 2:30 and 4:00. Halp?

and about the security, they don't necessarily PATROL, they're just kind of around. No specifics. I've watched them before.

fx1k

Post by fx1k » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:29 am

For me this is always the most nerve-wracking part of an op. It's the real make or break moment usually.

Blue_Social

Post by Blue_Social » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:43 am

Getting out is the best part!
Getting back in is the worst.
"Eat healthy, exercise often, die anyways. Oh well, you might as well make your life as enjoyable as possible." ~Anonymous

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:59 am

Blue_Social wrote:Getting out is the best part!
Getting back in is the worst.
Simply do the opposite from getting out! and do it quickly, and get out of your gear, and crawl into bed. The key is speed, in this case. As long as you can confirm an alibi in front of your parents ("I was in bed this entire time"), you win.
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

theconfusedone

Post by theconfusedone » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:12 am

hey just a thought for whoever suggested leaving a dvd on while you leave, i dont think thats a great idea.... what if someone got up to turn it off or tell you to go to bed? thats what scares me the most. not the entering or leaving part, but the thought of my parents checking in on me while im "asleep". My worst nightmare would be getting a random phonecall on an op from my parents :shock:

anyways, just my thoughts.

Also, one day when no one was home, i went all through my escape route and mapped EVERY creaky floorboard. Now, im completely silent when i escape :mrgreen:
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -Siddhartha Gautama

The above post is completely hypothetical.

Lopiben

Post by Lopiben » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi,

This may help those who have loud doorknob.
Unscrew the screws, take the lock out the door (it works for locks like this one: http://www.leroidelacle.be/img4/serrure%20litto.jpg ("serrure à gorges" in french), the more common in houses I think) and disassemble it.

There should be two springs. One for the mechanism, an other to make the lock heavier. This second spring is loud and makes the doorknob hard to turn. Take it off and test the lock to see if it still works.

Now, try to see where, when you turn the doorknob, the bolt meet his stop, and stick a piece of thin leather, felt (or cloth if no felt/leather in the house) on this stop.

Reassemble the hole think, put it back in the door and make a try. The door should be silenter and easier to open, and even when you turn the doorknob fully, there should'nt be any "metal against metal" sound.

I hope I was clear, that I didn't make too many written mistakes and of course that this tips helped someone.

Good night,

Lopiben.
Come on, don't trust erything you read on the internet, especially not on this website...
_____
Posts here are totally fictionnal

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:04 am

theconfusedone wrote:Also, one day when no one was home, i went all through my escape route and mapped EVERY creaky floorboard. Now, im completely silent when i escape :mrgreen:
This is actually the one key thing to remember, wether my guide works for you or not: Should you ever want to leave your house this sneakily, always remember that your house is one of the few places you can break into or out from while you have the comfort of learning all about it. You can learn your house inside out, and you oftenly know it so well you can close your eyes and walk through it blindly with little aid at all. Make sure to use this quality to it's fullest. Getting out and back in, when you have other people in there, is the trickiest part of an op. Of all things, don't half-ass it.
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:06 pm

theconfusedone wrote:Also, one day when no one was home, i went all through my escape route and mapped EVERY creaky floorboard. Now, im completely silent when i escape :mrgreen:
That's every damn floorboard in my whole house, lol.

fx1k

Post by fx1k » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:56 am

Does anyone else have trouble with their joints cracking as they escape? I can avoid all the creaky floorboards fine, but if I bend my knee or adjust my ankle wrong it makes a loud crack.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:11 am

Yeah, I had that problem too. Before you begin exfiltration (or before others go to bed) do a lot of stretches to "crack" all the joints in your body.

theconfusedone

Post by theconfusedone » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:25 am

Yea i usually stretch around in bed right before...
I remember how much this guide saved my ass on my first op.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -Siddhartha Gautama

The above post is completely hypothetical.

fx1k

Post by fx1k » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:21 pm

I've got a little trick. When escaping through a window, opening it quietly can be a bitch. I took a bunch of petroleum jelly and applied it to part of the window frame the window slides on. It is almost silent now.

hylophylax

Post by hylophylax » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:55 am

Does anyone else's house have an alarm that beeps every time the door opens? It doesn't go off like an alarm, just chimes whenever the door opens. How can I go around that, you think? I managed to disconnect the wire to my bedroom window, but I hate getting out that way because I have a ton of bushes around my room which have loads of snakes and would like to be able to go out my patio door...

Another thing is my mom goes to bed around 4am. :|

spartan_ninja45

Post by spartan_ninja45 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:15 pm

I recently moved out (got kicked out) of my parents house. After couch surfing for a while, my girlfriend's family agreed to let me stay in their pool house. I'm used to opping quite frequently, however the pool house I'm staying in has this stupid fucking alarm beep sound every time I open the door. Anyone have a way around this?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:51 am

Any way to disable it? Take the batteries out or something? Or is there another window you can get out of?

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Probably uses a magnetic switch to operate, you might be able to fool it without having to tamper with their stuff but it's totally dependent on where the switch is located, which way the door swings, frame geometry, etc.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:41 am

Can you use a compass to locate where the switch is?

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:11 am

Didn't notice this, was this aimed at me or spartan ninja? Shouldn't need a compass either way, simple alarms like that probably have all the components visible from the inside where he's at. It should be up at the top of the door frame. Heck you might even be able to find and just mute the speaker/horn.

Nightstalker 1
Location: An extensive search has been made. We have found nothing.

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:49 pm

This was very useful. thanks!
There are hunters and there are victims. By your cunning, you will decide whether you are a hunter or a victim.

V-S

Post by V-S » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:43 am

Fortunately for me my bedroom was on ground floor and facing the front window where I lived as a teen. So it was easy to climb out. I'd sometimes have a mate stay over so we could both just jump out my window and have the night to ourselves. Though after the age of 15 my father didn't really give a fuck where and when I went out. One night when I was much younger I'd say I'm staying at my mates place and he'd say the same, and we'd hang out on the streets all night. Though eventually we got tired and made makeshift beds out of cardboard because we couldn't head home till morning because it's be too suspicious.

Funny thinking back then how much I wanted to be older to do what I want, when I want. Though those younger days of sneaking out of the house was such a good time.
The Sun is down, time to go to work.

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:58 am

You had it easy....from my perspective

I haven't found anyone yet who'll go out with me but I'm looking
There are hunters and there are victims. By your cunning, you will decide whether you are a hunter or a victim.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:50 pm

Nightstalker 1 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:58 am
I haven't found anyone yet who'll go out with me but I'm looking
I'm single!!!

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:10 pm

Great!!

well...if you like it...