Alarm Detection Techniques I - The Security Decal

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Psychlonic

Alarm Detection Techniques I - The Security Decal

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:22 am

Before you notice any type of security, you may encounter stickers displaying company names and logos. These are typically displayed on doors and windows, and may read something like "This home protected by ADT". This will tip you off that an alarm system is present. This can be an advantage as you'll be able to look up product specs on the company website and get a general idea of what types of sensors you can expect. Shown here are images of some known legitimate security decals.

http://www.vanguardsecure.com/images/lawnsign.jpg
http://www.security-logics.com/images/yard_signs.jpg
http://www.beaconsecurity.net/yahoo_sit ... 30_std.jpg

You might also notice some that simply say "Electronic Alarm!" or any other generic message. Often this means that the sticker is only there to scare off would-be trespassers. At best, a cheap local alarm is present with a lot of decoy devices. The general rule of thumb is that real stickers prominently display the name of the company, while fakes often emphasize the alarm aspect. If you are unsure of the sticker, assume an alarm system is present and activated. Below are pictures of a few fake security stickers you might see during your operations.

http://criminaljusticeonlinedegree.org/ ... 281%29.jpg
http://rlv.zcache.com/home_security_sti ... l0_400.jpg
http://rlv.zcache.com/fake_security_sti ... l0_400.jpg
http://www.homesecurityinformation.com/ ... ticker.jpg

A similar bluff put on by homes and businesses is to display a legitimate sticker on their property despite no actual system installed. Alternatively, the system might not work any longer, or they may not be able to pay for the service. Regardless, if you spot a security sticker of a known company, assume there is an alarm system present and activated until learned otherwise.
Stickers are merely an indicator of possibilities. By no means do they tell you everything about the security inside of the structure they are stuck to. Security stickers may be a bluff or they may be real. False stickers may indicate either no security or a local alarm with home improvised sensors and other devices. No sticker at all is perhaps the worst, as you have no idea what you're facing. If there is no sticker available, do not assume there is absolutely no electronic security, and no matter what kind of sticker or lack thereof you find, always do the basics. Compass all doors and windows you plan on moving through when possible and keep on the lookout for sensors.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Re: Alarm Detection Techniques I - The Security Decal

Post by stealththief » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:41 am

This is the truth, I know a lot of people who's houses fly false stickers to deter. A lot of places just keep their old ones up even after security is changed or removed.

Cadance

Post by Cadance » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:54 am

Insider add: The major security watch companies (Brinks, ADT) its actually against their IP for people to display their signage (Protected by Brinks or whoever). There have been a few cases where Brinks, ADT and others have sued people for displaying the signs when the people did not have actual coverage/contract with them.

The best thing to do is avoid places that have the big time players (Brinks, ADT) as those signs are not so easy to get and they try to get people to remove the signs when coverage stops. If you see a company that you never heard of its best to abort and google it. I have seen a few businesses that I do lock work for display signage for security companies that went out of business 20+ years ago.

Now I am not sure if security companies make their clients display their signage on the property or not. I know Brinks used to make it a requirement but it might not be the case anymore. But I know most companies dont have any such requirements, but all these measures are easy to disable and bypass.

Also ive heard stories where people decided to cut the phone line or power. The main boxes are battery powered and will report power loss as soon as the battery kicks in. If the device does not call home within X time the alarm gets sounded and they will call the owners...failing a response from the owners then the police.
The quieter you become the more you can hear.
Slow and low is the way to go.
Knowledge is no longer power, knowledge is survival.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:08 pm

Cadance wrote: Also ive heard stories where people decided to cut the phone line or power. The main boxes are battery powered and will report power loss as soon as the battery kicks in. If the device does not call home within X time the alarm gets sounded and they will call the owners...failing a response from the owners then the police.
As I understand it, it's pretty much a bad idea to cut either in any modern set up unless it's just a localized alarm terminating at an alarm siren. Power is backed up with batteries most of the time, and phone lines are being augmented with cellular communication - assuming that's not already the default method. Hell even deactivating the alarm legitimately at the wrong hour can result in a phone call to the owner, although this is more prominent with businesses. Similarly, businesses also usually only have one door that can be opened without the alarm sounding instantly, giving you the delay required to punch in the code. It's just like the sensors themselves - even if the system isn't overly complicated and easy to understand, defeating it isn't necessarily any easier as a result.

I was planning on getting around to the control panel after fleshing out my existing topics with more info and adding in a few different sensor types, but nobody is discouraged to beat me to the punch. As my experience lies mainly with the sensors, I might not necessarily be the definitive authority on control panel how-to, though I'll be able to write enough to at least give average joe a run down of how it works, what NOT to do, and a few conditional defeats.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.