Guide Request Thread

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Illusion

Guide Request Thread

Post by Illusion » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:25 am

Following on from the "Guide Request" idea in the Suggestions forum, I thought this could be a good way of getting it rolling.

The idea being you post a topic you wish to know more about, and someone (hopefully) volunteers to write a guide on the topic and post it. The catch being that you should really be nice and give as you take..

We have a lot of knowledge on this forum and it would be a shame to waste it. So this is probably a good way of maximizing the sharing of information.

I'll kick it off by OFFERING a guide, not requesting it...
Topic: (Urbex) Sourcing Tunnel Maps + Overlaying with Aerial Photography
Summary: This would be a pretty specific guide so I thought I'd just check to see if anyone is interested first. It would start off talking about how you may be able to find tunnels (looking for air shafts, physical terrain features, weird manholes etc), how you could be able to source a map for the tunnels (Freedom Of Information, Official Archives, Local History sources etc), then studying the aerial photography of a physical area and matching them to likely tunnel locations.

It then goes into explain how using open source software (the GIMP) you can scale both the aerial photography and the tunnel map to a specific size, modify the tunnel map to a degree, then overlap them using layers and plot out likely access routes as well as define where they run under.

The reason for this guide would be as I am currently having to do it for a set of "lost" (well, newly secured and access points capped) tunnels a few towns over for me, and I hope to visit them this week.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

tbone510

Re: Guide Request Thread

Post by tbone510 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:15 pm

I'd love to have that guide. There's a rather intricate storm drain system near me with many accessible manholes... don't want to get lost in there, really could use that.

CookieThief

Post by CookieThief » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:00 am

Necromancy post. This guide would be amazing, so I am bringing this thread back from the dead. Anyone willing to make a guide on this? This could be a little test for NOCOM Lynx suggested?
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:16 am

Those tunnels sucked, but you can still have your guide. :D
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:05 am

Do my eyes deceive me?!
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Xanatos wrote:Do my eyes deceive me?!
It must be an illusion.. :wink: