Profiles of NightOppers

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Illusion

Profiles of NightOppers

Post by Illusion » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:08 am

We've established their is a rough connection between NightOps and an interest in the military, however what about other interests that you may have?

1. What are your personal skills?
2. What job would you like ideally?
3. Are we all "Jack-Of-All-Trade" drifters?
4. How do you tie your skills together?

- Computing; Hardware, Programming, Security.
* Worked with them as Hardware Technician and built my first one at the age of 12.
* I was programming by the age of 14 in C, was happy with Assembly Language at 16.
* Feel confident enough to carry out a penetration test.

- Electronics; Electrical Installation and Engineering, Electronics Projects, Computer Modding
* Got into Electronics when I used to "mod" my computer at the age of 13.
* Started an Electronics and Electrical Engineering course but got bored with the college.
* Regularly mess about with Electronics projects, USB interface boards, PICs..

- Photography; Quick'n'Dirty, Night Photography, Urban Exploration
* Found an interest in Photography when I got into Urbex
* Like to do long exposures at night
* Also enjoy "quick'n'dirty" sneaky shots when doing recce's in the daytime

- Outdoors; Survival, Shooting, Fieldcraft..
* Was a cadet when I was growing up, used to represent my county at national competitions for things like shooting, fieldcraft (playing war) - probably where a lot of my gear and techniques come from.
* Used to enjoy packing a rucksack and going for 20~ mile walks
* Love camping, went through a phase of finding quiet spots and rivers and going when its dark and throwing a tent up - before taking it down before sunlight arrived

- First Aid
* Had to do First Aid when I was a cadet.
* Now volunteering with St. John Ambulance and getting more training.

- Sports; Swimming, Jogging, Parkour

I'd like to have an investigatory role perhaps, something which would see me getting out and about and staying active. I would even have considered the police, I keep being drawn back to the army but now is a terrible time to apply; not even for operational reasons but for the lack of training intakes. I often think about stuff like the Intelligence services, or failing that Information Security...

I don't see how I can tie my interests together - its often been remarked that I can be 2 very different people. One who enjoys climbing buildings, sneaking around and doing stuff for the adrenaline; then one who will lock himself away with books and read and dissect information until I can remember and repeat it.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

stealththief

Re: Profiles of NightOppers

Post by stealththief » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:34 am

1. What are your personal skills?
2. What job would you like ideally?
3. Are we all "Jack-Of-All-Trade" drifters?
4. How do you tie your skills together?

In terms of skills I'd have to say that my strongest are parkour, stealth/tool-less infiltration, and maybe resourcefulness. Apart from those I have to list the following: dumpster diving, martial arts, climbing, wilderness and urban survival, I used to write code but I lost most of that from lack of practice.

Ideally I'd like to just get paid for no reason so I can do whatever I want, barring that I guess I'd like I'd be able to get paid to do parkour or sneak around, none of my career ideas are concrete or even plausible in most cases.

I feel that I want to become more of a "jack of all trades" drifter, in that I want to travel around, living off my skills and my wits but I haven't done that yet.

How they come together I'm not sure there is a martial connection that deals with things like stealth, parkour, martial arts, and all that. Also things like dumpster diving and survival are more on the resourceful side. I feel that at the base all the skills I enjoy having can be used for survival if they have to be, in dangerous situations is where they'd work best, either in long or short term.