Training Games: "Can't Be Seen" (Ninjalicious RIP)

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Illusion

Training Games: "Can't Be Seen" (Ninjalicious RIP)

Post by Illusion » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:00 am

Was flicking through the "Access All Areas" book, by the late Ninjalicious (founder of Infiltration) and found this little gem;
My friend Sean and I used to play a game of our own invention called Can't Be Seen. It probably should have had a cooler name, but oh well, atleast its memorable. Wearing dark clothes and equipped with two-way walkie-talkies and flashlights, we would attempt to travel across town by as direct a route as possible without anyone spotting us. There was no precise way to measure our level of success, since people who did probably see us didn't realize the greatness of their achievement and thus probably failed to tell us they'd spotted us. But we usually knew and admitted to ourselves when we'd screwed up and taken too long to dive behind the hedges or roll beneath the truck, and we kept a mental tally of our failures. This was not only one of the most fun games of all time, it was also a risk-free way to practice our skills at orienteering, running, hiding, scouting ahead, moving stealthily and communicating either silently or with walkie-talkies.
- Access All Areas, Ninjalicious RIP
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Ghost

Re: Training Games: "Can't Be Seen" (Ninjalicious RIP)

Post by Ghost » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:24 am

Perhaps i'm mistaken, but didn't he used to post on the old night ops threads on totse? I seem to remember him (or someone of that name) posting there.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:34 am

I have the book, it's nice. I posted that same game on another forum and it'll develop great skills. Also cold wolf is great, I think I posted it here before, it's a parkour game, search the forum if you don't find it let me know and I'll post up how it works.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:43 pm

ThereIn; Yeah - I'm not 100% sure but there was at least someone with a similar name.

The thing about this guy was, well - reading his book I often get a feel he took an approach to urbex which was very similar to NightOps at times - more so than most Urban Explorers I have come across.

stealththief; I'll look out for that! It would be nice to build an organized list of "Training Games"!
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:01 am

Did he? I never recalled seeing the name until he died, to be perfectly honest. But there was also a long period where I was absent from the &T threads so it's perfectly possible I overlooked it.

Anyways, this is a great way to practice and have some fun while doing it. A spin on the idea is to simply practice following people around without them or anyone else noticing. Helps develop both stealth and situational awareness. I've always thought that since you're hiding primarily from people, try to interact with them more.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:10 am

Psychlonic wrote:Did he? I never recalled seeing the name until he died, to be perfectly honest. But there was also a long period where I was absent from the &T threads so it's perfectly possible I overlooked it.

Anyways, this is a great way to practice and have some fun while doing it. A spin on the idea is to simply practice following people around without them or anyone else noticing. Helps develop both stealth and situational awareness. I've always thought that since you're hiding primarily from people, try to interact with them more.
I played this a lot in France a few years ago with the "Shinobi" guys. We'd go to the park and pick a random person and follow them without being seen it was tougher because we were a larger group but it was good training and developed good skills when the situations got tougher.

nooner

Post by nooner » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:30 pm

How/when did ninjalicious die? Don't think I heard about it(maybe I forget?)...
Eat your veggies...

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:04 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjalicious
It's all there, his life as a UE guy and some other info, how he died, his job...

nooner

Post by nooner » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:28 am

Geez. Damn shame.
Eat your veggies...

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:13 am

Sneaking around your house and yard when other people are inside also works well. Especially if your hardwood creaks, you have PIR sensors outside, etc. Looks like these forums are pretty much dead, let's get some posts going people!
Fuck off.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:26 am

I check these forums every day, I just never have anything to post. :|
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:17 pm

Biohazard wrote:Sneaking around your house and yard when other people are inside also works well. Especially if your hardwood creaks, you have PIR sensors outside, etc. Looks like these forums are pretty much dead, let's get some posts going people!
This reminds me, if you want some good practice find a stairway that creaks when you walk up it. You pretty much learn to walk on hand rails, certain corners of the steps, even walk on the walls basically just to keep silent. It can be harder work than you might expect.

Going down stairways like this, I like to stand at the top and walk my arms along the sides as far down as possible, then bring my legs down and slowly rest them in silent positions where I can walk my arms down the sides again.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54 am

For creaky stairs I usually do one of two things, either QM to distribute my weight (usually when going down) or go along the wall with as much of my weight on the hand rails or the wall but not so much that it rubs and makes noise.

Jecked

Post by Jecked » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:27 am

Having a go at this tomorrow night with 4 others, each of us deciding our own routes. Should be.... a laugh..... lol
Have worked it out to be about 11-12 miles or so o.O Time to wrap up warm!

Jecked

Post by Jecked » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:53 am

The night was a near complete success.

The 5 of us took off from out starting point at 9pm, with each of us having planned routes. They ended up being close enough together that we ended up splitting into 2 groups for pretty much the whole night.
We stopped at 3 designated checkpoints along the way to refuel and so we wouldn't be hours apart at the end, and made it to our end point at 5am! One of the group parked his car to there during the day so we wouldn't have to walk all the way back again :roll:

It was bloody hard work all in all! We weren't quite expecting it to take as long, though it was definitely worth doing. Can safely say we were spotted roughly 5 times or so, and they were all due to use having to take a quick sprint along or across a main road and getting caught out my cars that way. :?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:58 am

Sounds like a fun way to spend an evening. I've never done that before, how did you guys communicate? Hand signals or just noisy whispers?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Jecked

Post by Jecked » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:50 am

Well, originally we planned to have walkie talkies with earpieces, but they only turned up in the post the day after. :|

In the end it was pretty much just talking normally, there didn't end up being many people that got close enough for it to matter much. And where there were people we ended up being far enough away to talk quietly and wait or if they were close we'd be able to do our own thing to keep hidden until the person had passed.