Ankle Rolling

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Psychlonic

Ankle Rolling

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:54 am

By rolling the ankle to the inside as you walk, you'll find yourself walking on the absolute outer edge of your footwear. While this will inherently increase the noise you make while walking to a slight degree, it will also minimize the footprints you leave behind. This is extremely important when you are walking across soft ground and you know you're not supposed to leave a footprint. Rolling your ankle will leave only diagonal lines where there would normally be a clearly visible tread mark. This can be enough to make your footsteps much more unnoticeable in cases where you have no choice but to move across terrain which is sure to hold a print.
It's also very difficult to sustain this walk without practice, as your balance is thrown off and your ankles can become sore fast from holding weight like that. Furthermore, if you are wearing stiff boots, the act is even tougher. The best walk to use here is a bent knee walk while keeping your feet wide. Try to space your steps as far apart as possible to draw the least amount of suspicion to the marks.
Rolling the ankle won't give the operative a free ride to cross soft, impressionable terrain, so you should still try to avoid it whenever possible. However, there will be times when you have no choice in order to complete your mission, and you may not be able to use special equipment that allows you to cross easier, such as carpet sandals.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Ghost

Re: Ankle Rolling

Post by Ghost » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:14 am

Sounds a lot like a method i use for silently jogging on paved surfaces. i start by placing the outer edge of the heel on the pavement, then roll the ankle so that the edge of my foot, from the heel up to the toe contacts the ground next, then once the toe is down i push upwards and lift up my heel, transferring my balance onto the front third of my foot.

I've found that it completely eliminates the slapping sound that your feet will make when you're jogging quickly over a hard surface, and while your balance isn't as great, with practice it allows me to job fairly fast over pavement or concrete with no noise at all from my shoes.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:48 pm

I've used this to cross shallow snow and to avoid wetting my feet in small puddles.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:31 am

I find myself using it primarily for snow myself, if I have to cross a path/road/driveway with it packed on, so that there's not a distinct footprint the owner can look at and think "I didn't put that there, so who did?"

They still might notice the mark, but it won't be as easy to identify. Keeps them guessing. If I absolutely must leave a trace of my presence in a situation like that, the least I can do is distort everything as much as possible so they have no idea what really happened.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.