Hypothetical sale of a particular item(s)

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
lnsurgent

Hypothetical sale of a particular item(s)

Post by lnsurgent » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Hey guys, hope this is in the right section.

I'm doing research, still, on a book I have been writing. This question has to do with the sale of a, let us say, a painting. Or any high valued objects.I am not talking about those shitty finger paintings you did as a wee brat.

Thoughts would be appreciated. Such as the need for false identification, etc. \

Thanks.

Xanatos

Re: Hypothetical sale of a particular item(s)

Post by Xanatos » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:13 am

I'm not an expert, but I would guess a really high-class antique shop.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:21 am

-cleaned-
Last edited by Psychlonic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

lnsurgent

Post by lnsurgent » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:25 am

Once again, appreciate the replies.

I intend to employ methods of identifying certain objects, in this story, as to whether or not the word has been spread. There are several websites which I could use as model. You enter such information as serial numbers, etc.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:51 am

Perhaps it would be a good idea to stash said items until the statute of limitations expires? Then perhaps try legally "ransoming" them back to the owner?
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

lnsurgent

Post by lnsurgent » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:04 pm

Therin the Hand wrote:Perhaps it would be a good idea to stash said items until the statute of limitations expires? Then perhaps try legally "ransoming" them back to the owner?

Not a terribly bad idea, but it's not a human life. So the odds of authorities being notified is pretty high. I'd like to keep this story going as if it were not just a story, so as realistic as possible. Sam would probably require some form of false identification.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:20 am

Well the idea is that once the statute has expired, you cannot be prosecuted for the crime. So you stash them somewhere, and wait until you have complete legal immunity. then you contact the owner privately, say something like "blah blah came into possession of your art collection/painting, looked you up, and i'm willing to sell it back to you for XXXXXX amount of money"

The authorities wouldn't matter, because at that point you wouldn't be doing anything illegal.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

lnsurgent

Post by lnsurgent » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Therin the Hand wrote:Well the idea is that once the statute has expired, you cannot be prosecuted for the crime. So you stash them somewhere, and wait until you have complete legal immunity. then you contact the owner privately, say something like "blah blah came into possession of your art collection/painting, looked you up, and i'm willing to sell it back to you for XXXXXX amount of money"

The authorities wouldn't matter, because at that point you wouldn't be doing anything illegal.

What about sale to another, would this also make it legal to do so? Such as a museum. And I'll look into this further, thanks for the helpful suggestions.