Am I the only one pissed off at this shit?

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Psychlonic

Am I the only one pissed off at this shit?

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:30 pm

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=43165

The responses in this thread are perfect indicators as to the direction night ops have gone. The idea is SO lost, that people are actually saying camo is bad because it's suspicious. No shit? So is a guy hopping over fences, sneaking along houses, and sitting on roof tops. The entire fucking idea is that you're not seen at all. Ever. Once. If you're seen, you fail. No trace is supposed to be left. NO TRACE! A guy walking along the sidewalk, no matter how inconspicuous, is still a trace.

There's no excuse. If you're seen, you fail. The end. It doesn't matter where you are, who you are, who's around. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. In other words, if you're not good enough to op an area, then don't. Build up somewhere else. Night ops has traditionally built itself up from basically exploring your neighbor's backyard. At that level, it's just a matter of building up the nerve to do it. But you never just act like you belong there and all is cool. You make sure you're not seen, check things out, and move on. Yeah, it's challenging, but that's half the point. You sacrifice the ease of inconspicuousness for the total freedom that only invisibility can grant you.

Has night ops finally died completely?
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Legend

Re: Am I the only one pissed off at this shit?

Post by Legend » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:56 am

If the amount of posts on forums, blogs, and such regarding night ops and Google searches can indicate anything night ops are almost dead. I have a couple of friends who have night opped who've never heard of night ops as they're known here. So maybe it's a wider phenomenon than it is known.

I'm sorry for coming off rather stupid when I posted that thread but I was trying to learn by asking hypothetical questions. Anyways, I've read the guides created by users of this org and after spending some time on these forums I understand the psychology and philosophy of night ops.
Who dares wins!

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:05 am

You were asking an honest question and got shit answers from everyone else. Dr. Bint, a guy who once wrote a guide on how to commit armed robbery :roll: says running in camo is a not a good idea but running around in a tuxedo is. :lol:
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:04 am

Different strokes for different folks I guess. But I do see a decline in the straight up NO style that people appreciated a lot before, associated with ninjas and splinter cell...
I've personally never been able to do many operations like that unless they begin and end in a park because of my highly urban area, that's made me hold the ideal high though, so I jump at the chance to op the in the old style. I guess I appreciate both but do whichever is more practical for my particular op, since most of mine are improvised/opportunist operations anyways. If I was in the suburbs I'd do straight stealth, I've been to suburbs a bit and they have so much cover, hiding spots etc that there's no need to go inconspicuous unless you need to cover a ridiculous distance.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:49 pm

It sounds like the perfect option for you and your group would be to just toss your shit in backpacks, travel to an area with more cover, and gear up in a hidden location there to begin your op. Suburbs can be difficult as well because while they've got cover, you have to leave it at some point to do things like cross a street. Crossing streets can be a bitch. It's all good when you're in the backyards or behind businesses, but sooner or later you're going to have to just dash across a lit up street with everyone's front window facing it. Granted, it's nowhere near the challenge of heavy urban areas but still. I once operated over in Denver near the Greyhound station. That was fucking crazy. I ended up having to cling to the top of cement walls just out of sight and shimmy along to whatever cover was available. But the cool thing about that area is it's set up perfectly to perform parkour moves. Lots of slopes, stairways, walls, and rails.

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:29 am

Rest assured you aren't the only one pissed off. Though I have sort of come to grips with the thought that NO is evolving like everything else, decaying if you will, just like everything else. As much as it pains me to say it, NO will eventually die or become so lost and alienated to the real Oppers that it will be completely unrecognizable. It isn't until we realize this and accept it that we will be able to be at peace with it. Nothing is static... the same way our lives are ending one second at a time NO is dying or at least becoming something completely different.

We are a dying breed of people it seems. Our next generation looks bleak and only we can truly turn this around, Postpone the inevitable as long as we can while teaching our replacements to do the same. That's the only way to keep the lifestyle from being raped and disfigured by misinformation. That's the way it has to be, if we truly love what we do and wish to see it stay the way it was when we first found it we must act, and act now before our cause is lost completely.
Last edited by killdozer on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------------
Life bytes with a variety of sizes of teeth
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse
-----------------------------------------------------

The Soldier

Post by The Soldier » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:46 pm

i had a disscussion with someone on another forum and i am also pissed off. people are relying more on the skill of disguise and throwing stealth to the wind. i am glad to see others resisting this rubbish.
"Every man dies, not every man truely lives"- William Wallace

"If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin' "- U.S. Army Rangers.

"It is not enough we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required"- Winston Churchill

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:31 am

The Soldier wrote:i had a disscussion with someone on another forum and i am also pissed off. people are relying more on the skill of disguise and throwing stealth to the wind. i am glad to see others resisting this rubbish.

They'll be regretting that when society goes to shit.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

The Soldier

Post by The Soldier » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:03 am

yep. " what the hell do we do now guys there is no societal norm" at which point we are passing them undetected in ghillies.
"Every man dies, not every man truely lives"- William Wallace

"If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin' "- U.S. Army Rangers.

"It is not enough we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required"- Winston Churchill

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:14 am

That sums up night ops pretty accurately for me. There was only one time where i ever used street clothes in relation with an operation - that was while a friend and i were biking to the target area, and personally i don't consider that to even be part of the op. Night opping is about being unseen.

I don't think we will ever be a dying breed, however. Humans will always have that hunter instinct, and some of us will always look to get our kicks and daily adrenaline dosage by sneaking around in the night. The name night ops will die out in time, surely, but the idea is something that is built on the pillars of our very nature - the day our art dies is the day the last human takes his last breath.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."