Help defeating these fences.

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Dethkreep

Help defeating these fences.

Post by Dethkreep » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:04 am

Roughly 60 percent of all fences in my area look like either of the two above pictures. So far climbing them is slow and tedious. Not to mention nerveracking. Climbing these with wet shoes is seriously scary due to the risk of impalation involved.

Anyway I really need some help thinking of a way to conquer these kinds of fences quickly. Right now whenever I am planning routes I plan completely around them because they take so much time to climb. They are also literal traps if you are in any form of improv E&E. My only idea is to get good enough at parkour to be confident enough to jump these. I figure if you use the unspiked, thicker, support post it should be doable. But even that isnt 100% reliable for me, sometimes there's no post.

Any help or insight is appreciated, I'll post if I come up with anything.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

Borninshadows

Re: Help defeating these fences.

Post by Borninshadows » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:14 am

Gate vault could be used.
Legal Disclaimer: Everything I have written in the above post is most definitely hypothetical or written by a totally bored person

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 am

Ok, let me whip up a picture in paint real quick, hang on a sec. My hometown has more of those style fences than regular chain/wood ones, so i suppose you could say i'm fairly practiced.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:05 pm

I deal with these a lot, Crisis hates them. What I do is pop up so that I'm holding myself up on my arms with my hands between spikes, with my waist around the top bar. After that I put on foot in between spikes, keeping my hands on the fence, from there you can either bring up the second leg and jump off, or if you're more confident in your abilities you can push off with your arms and leg and vault it.
As Born said you could gate vault it if you have a strong gate vault, be careful not to impale your hips/stomach, keep your arms straight and strong, it's gonna be tough (I don't gate vault any spike fences, it's painful I've tried :oops: ).

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean Stealth.
Most of the time though, getting high off the ground with a jump could negate that, but it's all personal preference.
Legal Disclaimer: Everything I have written in the above post is most definitely hypothetical or written by a totally bored person

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks guys I'm definately gonna find somewhere to practice those techniques. It will open so many doors. :lol:
-Gollum

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:16 am

My method sounds quite a bit like stealththief's, here is my "over 9000 hours in ms paint" rendition of hand/foot placement for my method.

So here we have a regular chunk of tall fence, the tips of each post are spiked iron, so balancing on them at any point is out of the question.

Step 1: Place your right and left hands at the red X marks along the top of the fence, firmly gripping the vertical posts.

Step 2: Place your non-dominant foot against the vertical fence post as marked by the blue X. Use that leg to push yourself up, while pulling upwards with your arms.

Step 3: After you have pulled yourself up as far as you comfortably can, you should be able to pull up your other leg and place your dominant foot at the green X.

Step 4: Now continue to pull yourself forward with your arms, and push upward with your dominant leg. move your non dominant foot into the position indicated by the orange X. You should now be perched on top of the fence, where you can leap or step off without any fear of impalement.

And that's probably the easiest way to climb a straight section of spiked iron fence. If you can find a corner it would be even easier, you can do it there by going straight from step 1 to step 4, and then to jumping off. If you really want to get decent at parkour i'm sure there are other ways too, but this is pretty easy, and as long as you take it slow and careful, it's perfectly silent as well.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:40 am

Ah Therin thank you very much for taking the time to illustrate that for me. I can't wait to give it a try soon.
-Gollum

Alexx Doggy

Post by Alexx Doggy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:14 pm

I remember watching Fight Club when they were sneaking into a dumpster lotto steal fat and they had to go over barbed wire on a fence. So what they did(and very quickly) is just threw a doormat over the barbed wire because the material is fairly thick, and they just climbed over that bit. I'm the same could be applied to this situation?
Secret operations are essential in war; upon them the army relies to make its every move.

Sun Tzu

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am

Depends on how spread out the spikes are. If they're about 10cm (4in) they're easy to climb over. If they're closer, the doormat trick could work.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Saaber

Post by Saaber » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:12 am

Does anyone know a good way to climb chain link fences?These fences are very common here and i still havent found a way to climb them as silently and quickly as i could.:(

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:09 pm

For chain link I usually wall run up as high as I can, grab on and climb with my hands and feet. If I can't wall run (noise) I just start climbing or jump then climb. I don't have a specific climbing technique for chainlink, just alternate hand and foot.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:47 am

Tabi boots make climbing chain link fences almost effortless. Climb near the support poles to make less noise.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:10 pm

What chain link fences are we talking about here? The tall ones or the waist height ones?

If it's the short kind clear the fence with a vault.

If it's tall then I usually just climb with most of my weight on the support pole. I grab the top of it with both hands, place one foot at waist height, push out with my foot and swing like a pendulum up and onto the top bar with my other foot in either one or two motions. (It's hard to explain but with tabi it is cake.)
----------------------------------------------------
Life bytes with a variety of sizes of teeth
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse
-----------------------------------------------------

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 am

^ I understand what you mean, that's usually the same way i do those if the top edges of the fence have been bent up into spikes. Otherwise i do almost a roll type maneuver over the top of the fence.

Saaber

Post by Saaber » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Thanks alot for the info, gonna try it next time.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:32 am

I use ThereIn's method - one thing to bear in mind is FOOTWEAR! I'm forever getting my boots stuck in between the spikes in these fences. Its not good to go and jump free and finding your feet stuck!

Also, look out for gates and just go the easy way using the lock/handle as a foothold.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:39 am

I've used Therins method too. However if my shoes are at all moist on the bottom it usually makes that method impossible. Moist rubber+ metal= slip. I've been at school though and not opping so I will have to give this more practice
-Gollum