Softening an area

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
stealththief

Softening an area

Post by stealththief » Sat May 16, 2009 7:59 pm

This is an idea I had after watching some butteryass mondays videos and doing parkour. The idea is to make an area you feel you'll op in a lot or might have to escape through more practical for you. It doesn't have to be anything to drastic and if you do it right you can soften up a place without anyone noticing. Here are some ideas that could be part of softening up an area:
Turning down the spikes on a small portion of fence
Darkening a waist high fence (invisible at night)
Stickering or otherwise obscuring cameras
Cutting fence at the bottom to crawl through
Setting up small hides (replanting shrubs in the park to make hiding easier)
Oiling hinges on loud doors you expect to escape through
Telling friends in the area you might "drop in" unexpectedly in the middle of the night (half jokingly)
There's probably a bunch more let me hear some.

Dethkreep

Re: Softening an area

Post by Dethkreep » Sun May 17, 2009 6:23 am

stealththief wrote:Darkening a waist high fence (invisible at night)
Dude,this.
There was a rusty fence I was watching during a game of cops and robbers once. I saw sooo many people wipe on that thing, even I did.

I'm really tired I'll edit this with ideas soon.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Mon May 18, 2009 5:22 am

I got the idea when I was chasing a guy at night and he flipped over a fence he didn't see and his coat got stuck on it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:47 pm

If it's a public area you can go in during the day and plant items around the place so you won't have to carry that much gear when you go on the op, such as hiding a rope near a wall or hiding lockpicks in a potplant.
If there's a fire escape, you can open it from the inside and either disable the handle or place an object in the door to hold it open by a fraction.
You can create hide spots by digging a hole (large enough to hide whatever you're planning to put in it, maybe even yourself) and lining it with straw/hay and newspaper to keep it dry. Then get some chicken wire and place grass & local foliage into the holes and place it on top of the hole. Instant hide-spot.
It's always good to have a bug-out bag around the house; just a simple bag containing some cash, rations, a knife, basic survival stuff. In an emergency you can grab it and run.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:48 pm

I've sometimes found that bypassing security measures can take so long that by the time I've rendered the area safe, I'm pretty much out of time forcing myself to come back another night. When I anticipate this, I like to do what I call "putting in a doggie door". Basically make a spot where I can come back and enter with almost no resistance.

+ Jumper any magnetic switches. Quick, painless, hard to notice.
+ Create gaps in doorways to ease carding where applicable.
+ Render certain locks inoperable, such as on an out of the way window
+ Unscrewing a vent in the roof and improvising some sort of quick release system, anything that makes a free-to-enter passage for myself.

So on and so forth. Not exactly groundbreaking, you've all probably done it once or twice during the daytime somewhere. It's an oldie but a goodie.

Disabling lights is a big deal in some areas. Depending on where it's at, it can take an hour or so just to take one out. Might be worth doing the night before.

Making a climbing route can be important as well.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.