StealthThief's Guide to Fire Escapes

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
stealththief

StealthThief's Guide to Fire Escapes

Post by stealththief » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 am

Fire Escapes

If you've read my ops you'll know that I use fire escapes all the time. They're useful for all kinds of stuff, I use them to get onto roofs and rooflets mostly but you can get at windows, and adjacent buildings as well. I'm going to explain what I can from my experience on fire escapes.
TYPES OF FIRE ESCAPES
Fire Escapes vary from one to another, it's possible to see all kinds of combinations of different sections. Let's start from the bottom up. There are basically four types of bottom sections are the kinds with suspended ladders, the kind with grounded ladders, the kinds with stairs that fold down and the kind with stairs that stay down, you might also run into some weird other kinds (like the ones that won't let you escape during a fire due to a lack of stairs or ladders).
Most fire escapes don't differ too much when it come to the middle part, most have stairs and platforms set up like a Z like in the pic, but some have spiral staircases or are shaped into squares, but they're less common.
The top section of the fire escape is my favorite part, it's the part that gets you onto the roof. It's usually a ladder, a hook ladder (one that hooks onto the top of the building) or the easiest kind, some stairs with a platform. The worst kind of top section is no top section. A lot of buildings with multiple fire escapes have no top section on the fire escapes that are facing the street and require you to go around back (usually into an alley or yard) to get onto the roof.
Every now and then you run into some strange fire escapes like a ladder cage with platforms on the side or something like that, but for the most part you'll run into some combination of the sections I've described here. Here's the good part, using fire escapes.
ACCESSING FIRE ESCAPES
The easiest types of fire escapes to access are those where the ladder or stairs are on ground level so you can just walk up to them and start going up.
The kind I started with are the kind where the bottom section is a hanging ladder, just check that the ladder is attached by a hook or something and either jump or wallrun and grab the bottom rung, stay close to the wall so that the ladder doesn't shake, make noise and so that you don't make a huge silhouette. Just climb up until you can get to the middle section platforms.
The kind where the stairs are held up with a counter weight are a bit trickier. You can wallrun or climb up to the middle section and avoid the hassle of the stairs altogether, but if for some reason you can reach the stairs but not the middle section, or if you're with nubs who need to take the stairs (tsk tsk) then it's possible to get the stairs down. It's doable but probably loud, but some weight on the stairs will have them at ground level in no time, if you can't reach use a rope or pole or something to pull it down, try and go slow to keep it quiet and to make sure you aren't under it when it gets close to the ground. Getting it back up is something I've never had to do so I can't help you there...
Regardless of the type of lower section you might wanna climb up nearby stuff or a wall instead of the lower section and get straight to the middle section (maybe the ladder is missing, the stairs look like they're gonna break or something), this is a great time to use AC cages window bars and other stuff on the building that can hold your weight. Also most aren't too high so some two person techniques should be able to get you up. Some fire escapes are low enough that you can just jump or reach up and get straight to the middle section.
ONCE YOU'RE ON
Ok so you're on the fire escape, now what? Well you probably don't want to get caught so here's a tip on windows; if the lights are on and it's dark out, then the people on the inside will have a harder time seeing outside because of how reflective the window will be. If it's dark inside and outside then they can out the window just fine, and if it's daytime and it's dark inside you'll have trouble seeing inside.
It's easiest to just dodge windows in general especially if you think people will be up while you're on their fire escapes, just crawl low enough to be invisible to people inside, or climb straight from the middle of the staircase to the middle of the next platform and vice versa, this is a good way to avoid passing in from of windows at the ends of the platform.
Moving on a fire escape isn't tough work. Just walk soft and you shouldn't be too loud. Watch out for rust spots and loose slats and you'll be silent. Climbing around shouldn't be much of a problem either, but you should still test your weight before committing it all to a railing or ladder.
You don't wanna spend too much time on the fire escape (as fun as it is), because that'll get you caught or seen or something else that's equally bad. However if you do think you're going to get seen the one reliable way of hiding I've come up with for fire escapes is going prone on the platforms, your dark clothes should help you blend with the fire escape (they're usually black, or maroon or some other dark color). Your best bet is to lay prone under a lit window so that anyone looking towards you loses their night vision. Either that or hide on the roof or ground if you think you have time to pull it off.
ROOFING IT
Well this part is easy most of the time. Grab the ladder and climb up until you can see the roof, look around, then get up there and enjoy the sight. Be sure to actually check the roof before you fully expose yourself to whatever may be on top of it, some people throw roof parties or you might run into taggers, cat burglars or some ninjas. You might deal with ladders that have covers, these can't do shit to really stop you. Grab the top and climb up and the cover then the ladder. If the top is spiked you can grab the sides and climb up that way, just be sure to wear thick shoes to step on the spikes or flexible legs to reach the first uncovered rung with your foot. You shouldn't really worry about ladder covers though, most of the time they will not be there, and half the time that they are there they're unlocked so you can just swing it off the ladder and put it back with your foot after you pass it.

That's it so far, I might add to this if i think of more stuff. Hope this helps people get to windows and roofs. Good Opping

Ghost

Re: StealthThief's Guide to Fire Escapes

Post by Ghost » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:15 am

Please feel free to add any information about transversing rooftops/buildingtops, ladders, or other fire escape information. I don't seem to remember anyone ever writing a guide about that sort of thing before, and it could really benefit urban oppers everywhere. (especially ones just starting out and looking for ways to increase their mobility/develop three dimensional problem solving skills)
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:26 pm

Therin the Hand wrote:Please feel free to add any information about transversing rooftops/buildingtops, ladders, or other fire escape information. I don't seem to remember anyone ever writing a guide about that sort of thing before, and it could really benefit urban oppers everywhere. (especially ones just starting out and looking for ways to increase their mobility/develop three dimensional problem solving skills)
There's not too much to it IMO, it's just quiet walking and staying low near edges, for me anyways. I could crank out a short post about it some time.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Urban Heights
Was going through old posts and I saw what Therin wrote thought I'd write up some stuff on urban heights and the way to deal with various things you'll encounter up there.

Heights in general: When you're high up you need to usually avoid skylining (silhouetting) since you're probably alone up there. However I was seen while high up so don't think that because you're up somewhere, not as essential as staying completely while on the ground but still important. Just poke you head over the top rung of the ladder or around the staircase cage and plan a rough route of your movement in between cover. This applies much more to compounds or other places with patrols, although you should be cautious on residential roofs it's usually much lower risk.

Ladders: Ladders are the best ways up a building in my opinion. They're fast, have much less silhouette and unless they're in a cage have good escape potential. If there is a lot of room between the ladder and the wall you might want to climb up between the two to reduce your silhouette, but it's not always worth it, you lose speed and mobility. I usually go up on the balls of my feet to stay quiet and go fast. If a ladder is out of reach consider doing a wallrun or stacking crates (or whatever is around).

Stairs: Chances are stairs are metal slats attached to longer metal slats on both sides. These offer a lot of options with varying levels of stealth. The fastest is to jog up the stairs on the balls of your feet, this usually works just fine because it's quick and quiet. You can also simply walk up, less fast more quiet, the real advantage to this is testing older, less secure looking stairs, grab both handrails and walk up slowly, skip any stairs with too much yield and any stair with only one side attached. However don't commit too much to the hand rails either they aren't always the best either. The next two methods are pretty slow and you probably won't use them too often if ever, but they're keep you invisible. Crawling (either QM or belly crawl) up the stairs or climbing up the under side, each reduces silhouette and can be quiet depending on how you climb/crawl.

Moving along roofs: Night ops isn't anime, you shouldn't sprint across roofs as fast as you can and jump over everything, even if you're the best traceur on the planet. Roofs are a fun place to be, but they can be delicate (weather does that), above people's bedrooms, in plain view of the building across the street or just dangerous. On roofs just walk or crawl, if you need to cross an obstacle test it (a lot of roof builders thought it would fun to make loud metal sheets common place), then cross it as you see fit. For gaps, consider two things; how well do you know your limits both physically and mentally? and can you get back across in the other direction. I can't tell you how well you jump, be honest with yourself, don't wanna fall of a roof to protect pride no one will see you injure. Getting back is also pretty vital especially if you have no idea what's past the other roof, getting stuck on a roof is no fun and usually ends up really loud.
Gravel on roofs is a bitch, it's loud and crawling on it hurts, but I haven't come up with any techniques to deal with so if you really can't stand it wear extra padding and some thick gloves.

Climbing: This is like roof jumping, you NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF and you need to MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GET STUCK. Imagine you climb up a wall, jump up to a ledge and realize you can't go any higher, you can't jump down the ledge to your previous hand hold, you had enough trouble jumping from it...
Don't get into that situation. Apart from that climbing is climbing, I usually don't climb with any gear or any of that, but I'm sure it would help out a lot. Every building is different, it's good to have a rough route idea in your mind and an idea of what you'll do if you get caught mid climb.

Off the top of my head that's all for now. Need something more specific or whatever let me know.