Advice for a first op

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
John Doe

Advice for a first op

Post by John Doe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:06 am

So I've been increasingly interested in going on an op, and I'm thinking this weekend will be my first one (assuming the weather is ok). This will be pretty much my first op of any kind, I'm thinking it will be at minimum just some exploration of the area and getting used to being out and unseen at night. My main question is tips for being unseen in a semi-rural environment. By that I mean heavily populated with houses, but the houses all have trees/wooded areas behind them to move through. This is where I plan on moving, but cover is still not thick because spring is just starting so all the trees are just branches. Any tips for remaining concealed in this type of terrain would be greatly appreciated, since I'm pretty much a night noob :)

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:01 pm

I'd say wear brown or black so that you'll be set even if a light hits you. Remember that you can always hit the deck and pretty much vanish a lot of the time. Have an escape route ready but if you're just exploring everything should go smoothly really. Good luck.

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:23 pm

I have the same type of terrain, very handy. Wooded areas make great places for moving through, escaping, and as points where you can slyly watch from. But just gradually increase the scale of your ops as you go on, and most importantly, have fun.
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:24 pm

darktorn wrote: But just gradually increase the scale of your ops as you go on, and most importantly, have fun.
That is the two most important pieces of Night Opping info you will ever get. No matter what you read, Night Ops is an Experience-Based hobby.
Legal Disclaimer: Everything I have written in the above post is most definitely hypothetical or written by a totally bored person

hiro

Post by hiro » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:16 pm

the first op should be for a target with almost zero risk involved. not to be a pussy or anything, but that way you get the feel for the night without the paranoia setting in and making you want to quit. if your first op involves the 5 4, k9 and the ever vigilante old man, you might not be as willing next time, or to push it farther with the next op.

and make sure you're fit enough for the op. i know i've been taking a break because i don't feel physically fit enough to run a good op. you need strength to get away, not just the mind set.

now that i think about it, with the weather getting nicer and nicer, i might just have to do some recon on a target i've had my eyes set on for awhile.

Illusion

Re: Advice for a first op

Post by Illusion » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:41 am

I started off by walking around at nights to get used to the noises and the lighting, work a bit jogging in too. You'll probably see possible targets/ideas whilst you're doing that!
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."