Locks

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
LeshracVNN

Locks

Post by LeshracVNN » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:53 pm

Locks in this modern age are the easiest to cope with.

For an operation your tools should include :

- 3 bumpkeys (small - medium - large)
- About 10 straws full of thermite + sparklers (replacement for magnesium)

The bumpkeys are obviously for common office/house locks. Now for the harder locks, safe locks and even security cages, this is where the thermite kicks in.

Having it in straws mean we can squeeze it between the wall and the door, actually above the lock itself.

All left to do then is to light about 2 sparklers and place them above our straws or plug them in, as that amount of thermite causes no risk of "popping out".

The lock will melt away leaving the door wide open.

Another but less effective method is to fill the lock with thermite powder and set it off. It will liquefy the locks internal "barriers", allowing you to pull the lock back inside the key pin, unlocking the door.

"Security cages" (yeah, those giant prison-like "safes") can be opened by horizontally gluing 2 thermite straws to 3 or 4 bars, up and down.

After the thermite is set off, place a few good kicks in the middle of the concerned bars to "cut" them, leaving the passage open.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:04 am

Or simply make some picks and practice up at home, and leave no trace behind you. Seems to me to be the safer of the two methods, but i don't have much experience with that sort of thing. Just thinking practically...

Bump keys, however, i will vouch for are a great idea.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

LeshracVNN

Post by LeshracVNN » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:35 am

I only used it twice so far.

Kinda flashy and NOT discreet at ALL but works wonders with tubular locks or interior security gates, just make sure the flash won't be seen too much, as it will only last a few seconds.

In my opinion picks are worthless. There are bumpkeys for most common locks out there and there's only a snowballs chance in hell any remotely secure location will have bump-proof locks.

The 2 immediate threats are CCTV and alarms. Both can be deactivated prior to entry. CCTV can be rendered blind with a laser pointer and alarms can be rendered useless by disconnecting/frying the phone connection booth of the area (those big gray boxes sitting at almost every street corner).

Above-average electrical alarms (hooked to the power supply, usually a giant wire running outside the building) can be fried by launching 2 crossed wires to its connection point and run a negative current thru it. DO NOT attempt to cut it.

They operate on voltage. No voltage = something's wrong = alarm goes off, too much voltage = overheat = *puff* no more alarm

Another trick is to social engineer your way to know the name of the person in charge of security in place X or Y, then call the police/security firm responsible of the alarm saying you forgot the password of said alarm. I was able to access a mega market warehouse that way, with a simple phone call, yank 6 camcorders in broad daylight in front of dozens of employees.

Why ? Because i knew the password of the gate to the warehouse tech room, so obviously in the mind of the workers i just COULDN'T be a thief.

Most godlike robberies are commited this way. Fake your identity over the phone, get the password, deactivate the alarm, bump the lock and SHOPPING TIME.

Remember locks get changed like once every 5 to 10 years. bump-proof locks only -started- to appear 2 years ago, and weren't always reliable anyway. :)

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:49 pm

I don't even know where to start on this topic... :evil:
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:28 pm

LeshracVNN wrote:Most godlike robberies are commited this way. Fake your identity over the phone, get the password, deactivate the alarm, bump the lock and SHOPPING TIME.
Personally, i've tried to avoid huge jobs, it's so much easier being opportunistic and waiting until the jones family goes away for christmas to liberate their computer, plasma screen tv, antique collection, custom made silverware, and all of daddy's expensive hunting equipment.

Or just find one of those communities that is mainly composed of summer homes for the rich that are only occupied 1/4 of the year, and have at it.

Corporations seem to have this nasty habit of throwing a bitch fit whenever you do anything to them, and so they seem to get results in terms of police investigations more often.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

mib

Post by mib » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:32 am

Don't underestimate lock picking. particularly, raking which anybody can do.

nobody

Post by nobody » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:33 am

First post!

Bump keys are the way to go, and I would avoid using the thermite (Did you get the idea from Splinter Cell?).

If you really can't bump a lock, I would just find a different house. Lockpicks are useful, and if you know what you're doing I would bring some along, but when you start you don't know if you're going to get the lock open instantly, or whether it'll take you an hour.

I got my Sc-20 key from bumpkey.us, and I still can't get it to work...

hX_

Post by hX_ » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:30 pm

Thermite is quick, easy, cheap and can be used for safes and locks that are not easily pickable.

It can fit in tiny gaps too and in good quantities can burn through a LOT of otherwise unharmable material! Good quality long life plastic (new park benches etc) and reinforced steel is DESTROYED by a good thermite mix.

Not to mention it can be set and left while retreating to a safe distance, whereas picking you're often standing in relative openness looking conspicuous.

Bumpkeys are better than both, when they work properly/reliably.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:13 am

I'm pretty sure it's a lot easier to notice a big glowing fire than a shadowy figure picking a lock. A lot of people are underestimating the technique, if you get good at it, you can pick a lock of common locks under a minute, easily. I'd say more like under 30 seconds with a good rake, and that's if you're slow.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

SilentKnight

Post by SilentKnight » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:19 am

What exactly is a bump key and where can I get some?

Evil_0ne

Post by Evil_0ne » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:32 am

I think I may try bumpkeys soon. I normally pick because I can open just about anything in around a minute or less. Can someone make me a pic tutorial on making one (I have a bench grinder and can't find a tutorial that is in-depth anywhere.)

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:23 pm

A bump key (aka as a 999 key) is a key filed down really low with the "guard" filed off, It's inserted into a lock and hit forward and the pins jump up and the lock can be turned. There are a bunch of videos and sites abot them...

Valdravulfr

Post by Valdravulfr » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:25 pm

Picking locks isn't always needed, though ideal... I broke into a chem shed with just a hunting knife :twisted: (improv op) and bagged myself some decent loot. The idiots had double padlocked it and whatnot but they had the hinges on the outside... So I unscrewed them...
Valdravulfr (Me) -"One who is not at one with himself, is not at one with nature."
Valdravulfr (Me) -"Around lots of eyes, it is easier to go seen but unsuspected, than not seen at all."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:51 am

Valdravulfr wrote:Picking locks isn't always needed, though ideal... I broke into a chem shed with just a hunting knife :twisted: (improv op) and bagged myself some decent loot. The idiots had double padlocked it and whatnot but they had the hinges on the outside... So I unscrewed them...
It's amazing how many people do that. I can't count the times I've seen that at night. Or they place the hasp on an incredibly delicate material that wouldn't hold out in a minor storm...

Valdravulfr

Post by Valdravulfr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 am

Lol yeah, that reminds me of my primary school... But for a chemshed thats quite ridiculous if you think about it.
Valdravulfr (Me) -"One who is not at one with himself, is not at one with nature."
Valdravulfr (Me) -"Around lots of eyes, it is easier to go seen but unsuspected, than not seen at all."

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:58 pm

No point in have huge locks on a glass house...
It's ridiculous how some people think in terms of security.

Valdravulfr

Post by Valdravulfr » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:32 pm

Okay, yesterday I picked my grandmothers "ultimate security" as she said lock. Got it open in 3-4 seconds after two or three goes, no shit.

GothicNiNjA

Post by GothicNiNjA » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:34 am

i wouldnt suggest bumpkeys unless you know the site well enough to know what bumpkeys will work for sure, otherwise you could have 35 different bumpkeys and still might not have the right one, 35 keys make quite a bit of noise and are quite heavy
Chaos is Beauty

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:49 am

Wow... this thread fucking amazes me. You guys are geniuses! Why not just BURN THE LOCK OFF WITH THERMITE LOLOL!!11one Why not just use bump keys zomg its the new craze and they should be carried on every op!

Do you realize thermite MELTS metal together? Do you realize that most of the locks you attempt to turn to ashes will actually fuse together and seize? Do you honestly think you are gonna be able to pack enough inside the lock to actually melt the whole thing? Talk about counter productive. Let's not even talk about the extremely bright light it makes. You could see that shit from an airplane at night.

Bump keys... oh bump keys. They are amazing! They open shit so quick! It only takes a 10 year old, a key and a piece of wood. We put it in, apply slight pressure and.... BAM BAM *click* BAM BAM BAM *click* BAM BAM BAM. People that suggest bump keys should be carried around as a conventional means to defeat locks are idiots. Yes, they come in handy for those FEW planned out special occasions. Why make noise and waste time when you could pick the locks silently and just as quickly (or quicker)? To those advocating the use of these on ops, have you thought about where the sound resonates when you hit the key? That's right. NO, NOT TOWARDS YOU. THE HOUSE DOWN THE STREET WON'T BE ABLE TO HEAR YOU. Fine, I'll just give it out. You are hopeless. It goes in the door. The door transfers the loud noise in the walls. The walls resonate the sound throughout most of the house. Since most doors are in front of some sort of hallway (which are usually fairly empty) the sound amplifies.

Here's an idea: get a fucking clue about what you are telling others. Don't regurgitate what you read on the internet from other 12 year olds. Some experience with silent entry would also be good to have, but that's asking too much. Go back to your "hardcore" yard hopping ops.

Sorry to those few people on this thread that know what they are talking about. You know who you are.

FUCK.
Fuck off.

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:58 am

Biohazard wrote:Wow... this thread fucking amazes me. You guys are geniuses! Why not just BURN THE LOCK OFF WITH THERMITE LOLOL!!11one Why not just use bump keys zomg its the new craze and they should be carried on every op!

Do you realize thermite MELTS metal together? Do you realize that most of the locks you attempt to turn to ashes will actually fuse together and seize? Do you honestly think you are gonna be able to pack enough inside the lock to actually melt the whole thing? Talk about counter productive. Let's not even talk about the extremely bright light it makes. You could see that shit from an airplane at night.

Bump keys... oh bump keys. They are amazing! They open shit so quick! It only takes a 10 year old, a key and a piece of wood. We put it in, apply slight pressure and.... BAM BAM *click* BAM BAM BAM *click* BAM BAM BAM. People that suggest bump keys should be carried around as a conventional means to defeat locks are idiots. Yes, they come in handy for those FEW planned out special occasions. Why make noise and waste time when you could pick the locks silently and just as quickly (or quicker)? To those advocating the use of these on ops, have you thought about where the sound resonates when you hit the key? That's right. NO, NOT TOWARDS YOU. THE HOUSE DOWN THE STREET WON'T BE ABLE TO HEAR YOU. Fine, I'll just give it out. You are hopeless. It goes in the door. The door transfers the loud noise in the walls. The walls resonate the sound throughout most of the house. Since most doors are in front of some sort of hallway (which are usually fairly empty) the sound amplifies.

Here's an idea: get a fucking clue about what you are telling others. Don't regurgitate what you read on the internet from other 12 year olds. Some experience with silent entry would also be good to have, but that's asking too much. Go back to your "hardcore" yard hopping ops.

Sorry to those few people on this thread that know what they are talking about. You know who you are.

FUCK.
Definitely true anyone who claims to regularly use thermite on a op is most likely bullshitting.
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."