Pursuit and aggressive escape

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
stealththief

Pursuit and aggressive escape

Post by stealththief » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Doing NO for long enough will get you chased at some point or another. There are are a few ways to escape this pursuit, such as running, hiding, negotiating etc. However I'm gonna talk about aggressive escape, as I call it. The idea behind it is simple, a hunter will go out and try to kill some dear but it isn't likely that a hunter will chase after a bear, because s/he knows it could lead to some pain.
Aggressive escape is about running away while convincing your pursuers to quit. The idea is to take routes that you will be comfortable for you and the skills you have while dangerous to those after you, this can mean using parkour, or going through thorny bushes that you know have a small hole. Another important facet of aggressive escape is altering the path behind you to make it more difficult to cross for your pursuers, such as pulling branches forward, or pulling obstacles onto the path behind you.
A last resort is setting up small ambushes than continuing to run. You probably won't need this unless you're on some major black op but I'm sure you get the idea.
Some more examples are:
Crossing the street before the light turns red.
Pulling the rug off the barbed wire fence after you.
Crossing an area with an aggressive dog you are familiar with.
Tripping a pursuer as they turn a corner before continuing to run.

Hope this helps out, not that I hope you need to use it :roll:

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:17 pm

This is how I run away (only ever had to do it once) change routes and try to obstruct their path, like pulling bins down behind you etc.
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

vonunov

Post by vonunov » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:48 am

Caltrops, if you're not worried about someone's foot getting an impressive puncture. You can buy them online but unless you're a complete tool you'll just make them yourself.

Thanks, OP. I don't know that I'll need it considering my current activities, but I might slip up one day while sneaking around behind Walmart, following the guard who's supposed to be detecting me. ;)
Meet me down by the railroad track.

Zaffron

Re: Pursuit and aggressive escape

Post by Zaffron » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:56 am

How do you MAKE Caltrops? Aren't those things pretty heavy duty?

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:57 pm

Zaffron wrote:How do you MAKE Caltrops? Aren't those things pretty heavy duty?

You can make them from pennies, if you have the time.
Try google.
Legal Disclaimer: Everything I have written in the above post is most definitely hypothetical or written by a totally bored person

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:37 pm

There's also a way to make them from nails, i think the "spike" version:

Code: Select all

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/weapons-recent/caltrops.jpg
which looks like it would be a lot more effective than the "bent metal sheet" version:

http://www.portkarmerchant.com/catalog/images/nj-6.jpg
on someone wearing footwear.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:28 pm

I made some caltrops a long time ago. Never used them and I have no idea where they are now.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:31 am

Therin the Hand wrote:There's also a way to make them from nails, i think the "spike" version:

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/weapons-recent/caltrops.jpg
which looks like it would be a lot more effective than the "bent metal sheet" version:

http://www.portkarmerchant.com/catalog/images/nj-6.jpg
on someone wearing footwear.
Yea, the flat ones are from old Japan when people wore straw sandals all the time with leather socks. The newer ones are better against modern footwear, also if you plan on using on roads to pierce tires you might wanna take the time to make the spikes sharps tubes so that the hole in the tire actually lets out air, a simple hole in the rubber isn't always enough on tougher tires.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:08 pm

-cleaned-
Last edited by Psychlonic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:11 am

Psych you have the idea perfectly, normally people being chased feel that they are being hunted/victimized/whatever, but the idea here is to fight on your own terms and make it clear. It's not gonna be easy to set up and ambush if you're chasing someone, vice versa is simple though.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:31 am

An easy way to make tetsu-bishi (caltrops) is to buy some fencing staples, bend them into a 90 degree angle and superglue or weld their inner corners together. The way I usually escape (only happened once) is to break the line of sight and find a good hiding spot, then turn the hunter into the hunted.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:18 am

Having worked with those staples at work as recent as 3 hours ago, I can vouch for how sharp they are. There is no way superglue would hold them together when stepped on, so weld them.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 am

Psychlonic wrote:This is probably a no-no but I have it in my head that if someone is chasing me and I'm confident I can take them out, I'll hide around a corner with a heavy club, batter them, and tie them up where they'll be found later. You can always lay prone around a corner and see them just fine, whereas they'd never be able to see you. Crab block them as soon as they come around the corner and put them to sleep.

If the person is chasing you and they haven't notified anybody that they are pursuing you (basically they're the only one that knows you are there), to me that is the dumbest thing they can do. You are really only at risk if they can see you. As soon as you are out of sight, the ball is back in your field. Use this to place them in situations that they know they are at a disadvantage in so they will feel discouraged at any further pursuit lest you randomly emerge and attack them. If they fail to take this precaution and leave the area, the next encounter begins at your choosing.
This.

This has always been my plan if I was being pursued by anyone other than a cop.

My plan has always been to hide prone around a corner, and as soon as they come around turn my head and hit em in the face with my mace. Then pretty much just book it in case they called for help.
-Gollum

nooner

Post by nooner » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:09 am

Dethkreep wrote:
Psychlonic wrote:This is probably a no-no but I have it in my head that if someone is chasing me and I'm confident I can take them out, I'll hide around a corner with a heavy club, batter them, and tie them up where they'll be found later. You can always lay prone around a corner and see them just fine, whereas they'd never be able to see you. Crab block them as soon as they come around the corner and put them to sleep.

If the person is chasing you and they haven't notified anybody that they are pursuing you (basically they're the only one that knows you are there), to me that is the dumbest thing they can do. You are really only at risk if they can see you. As soon as you are out of sight, the ball is back in your field. Use this to place them in situations that they know they are at a disadvantage in so they will feel discouraged at any further pursuit lest you randomly emerge and attack them. If they fail to take this precaution and leave the area, the next encounter begins at your choosing.
This.

My plan has always been to hide prone around a corner, and as soon as they come around turn my head and hit em in the face with my mace. Then pretty much just book it in case they called for help.
Haha, do you take your mace with you when you're opping? That's badass.

Or wait...do you mean the pepper spray type mace...or the medieval club? Because I was imagining the latter...
Eat your veggies...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:02 am

I usually carry 2 tubes of metsu-bishi (Ninja blinding powder) on me on my ops, just in case. Havn't had to use them yet but the time will eventually come.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:27 pm

nooner wrote:
Dethkreep wrote:

This.

Or wait...do you mean the pepper spray type mace...or the medieval club? Because I was imagining the latter...
Nah the pepper spray kind. Sorry to dissapoint.

EDIT: Somehow I put my response in between the code :lol:
Last edited by Dethkreep on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Gollum

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:16 am

nooner wrote:
Dethkreep wrote:

This.

Screw that, I just bring a warhammer. :lol: