Cardio: Running vs. Alternative

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
unknowndude90

Cardio: Running vs. Alternative

Post by unknowndude90 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Is there any distinct advantage to running? I used to run often but stopped when i had an accident playing soccer with some friends. Ever since then I have only been able to sprint for a few hundred feet before i get a sharp pain in my legs. Should I try to run through the pain or should I find another alternative?

All suggestions are welcome. I really would like to get back to the condition I used to be.
If at first you don't succeed try and try again. But if after that you still fail you are doing something wrong.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:17 am

That really sounds like something you should see a doctor about. Running through it will probably make whatever is wrong worse. That happened to me at the end of my cross country season. I ran through the pain. I regret it, it still hurts every day and my last race was at the end of last October.

I'm considering physical therapy, and I'd reccomend the same for you.

I don't know of any cardio exercise that is better than running. Perhaps try swimming?
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

unknowndude90

Post by unknowndude90 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:29 am

The accident happened around 6 or 7 months ago. After a couple months it still hurt so i went to see a doctor. They did x-rays and nothing showed up so they told me to take it easy. Unfortunately my summer job required me to spend 8 weeks in the woods walking about 6 miles a day. So much for rest. lol Is biking an option?
If at first you don't succeed try and try again. But if after that you still fail you are doing something wrong.

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:39 pm

Skipping (jump-roping for americans) is ace, I mix that with running. Also soccer is brilliant what position do you play?
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

unknowndude90

Post by unknowndude90 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:00 pm

I don't play on a team. me and friends play occasionally. I am pretty fast. I just play whatever position the guys want me to.

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Fair enough, it's good to see some americans see the virtue of the godliness that is football (soccer).
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:44 pm

Soccer is ftw. I've played consistently for 4 years, its helped become a lot faster, and remain agile despite my getting very tall. Requires a lot of balance and quick reaction, awesome for ops.
-Gollum

unknowndude90

Post by unknowndude90 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Yeah. The balance on the move is great. I am 6'2".

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Im nearing 6'5 0.o
-Gollum

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:18 pm

Dethkreep wrote:Im nearing 6'5 0.o
Goddamn :shock: I'm 5'7 and a half lol. Too small to play as a striker, to small for a defender, always get shunted wide, even though I'm a centre mid. Would fucking love a little more height.

unknowndude90

Post by unknowndude90 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:02 pm

Height is not always good. I have had some serious hits from doorways and such. lol

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:53 am

When you're as tall as I am, balancing in a soccer match is a whole different art. It involves a lot more arm movement for momentum transfer.

A great advantage though is that it is almost impossible to be tripped up intentionally. If someone gets a leg under mine, I just have so much damn time to get my leg back to where it needs to be that I almost never fall over altogether. It also allows me to keep my forward momentum.

Big disadvantage is being shielded though. My center of balance is right at everyone else's shoulder's :x .
-Gollum

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Id like to be 5'10 just average, and Dethkreep, if your tall and you get tackled, it looks more convincing if you dive to the ground, lol. :)

And I've just realised you must look like peter crouch when you run. Good luck with shoulder to shoulder pushing aswell, :P.