Need a workout...

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Borninshadows

Need a workout...

Post by Borninshadows » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:40 pm

I need a workout for someone I am planning on opping with.
My workout couldn't apply, since it is (almost) all Bujinkan.
His info-- 14 yrs old, 5'4 186 lbs (fatty); an 8:54 mile time, and can't do a pull up (which he wants to do).

Does anyone have a workout that can help with: weight loss, stamina and strength (specifically being able to do a pull up).

Thanks for all help in advance.
Legal Disclaimer: Everything I have written in the above post is most definitely hypothetical or written by a totally bored person

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:09 am

Make him run first off. Start him at like a mile a day, in a month that will cut him down by about a minute at least on his mile. Sorry I don't know any good introductory workouts to get him to be able to do a pull up, but running will make him lighter and more efficient with his body so it's a start. Definately make him run.

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:51 am

Alright, thanks for that info.
Legal Disclaimer: Everything I have written in the above post is most definitely hypothetical or written by a totally bored person

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:54 am

If he could eat healthy he'll lose weight faster no matter what workout he does. I know dips are alright for arm strength, not sure about pull ups exactly but they'll probably help.

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:18 am

Alright. Basically, this what I have him doing (in no special order)
Running a mile
Pushups
dips
situps

eating healthy

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:26 am

I'd stick to eating healthy (and eating less altogether. i'm not one for diets and calorie counting and all that other shit, but in the end calories used must be greater than calories gained, so approximate) and running for now.

One mile is a good start, but have him push himself a bit. instead or running one, have him jog three or four.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Alright, Thanks.

Rustoleum

Post by Rustoleum » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:33 am

One tip I took to heart studying Wing Chun was my particular school's pushup style.

Make a tight fist in both hands. Place them so that your arms are comfortably around 150 degrees and your elbows are below and outside your nipples (landmark?). Do a slow pushup with your arms in that position, only hold yourself as close to the ground as you can without touching it, count to 10 (in Cantonese if you so choose), then raise yourself slowly and count to 10 again.

Doing several sets of 20 of these 3 days a week, in 3 months I gained a considerable increase strength and endurance in my upper body.

Tip: Cut your fingernails first.

Start off on a soft floor, like carpet. Move to hardwood and eventually to concrete (like the sidewalk). This will get you used to pain on your hands and get you more comfortable with slamming your fist into things, should you need to defend yourself against those annoying people who attempt to stop your adventures.

As far as the diet goes, cut out red meat and stick to chicken, pork, tofu, whatever your friend might like that's lean. Instead of snacking on sugary items, tell him to snack on peanuts, cashews, etc. All the protein will help with his workout, too. Instead of soda, water and juice, etc, etc. I'm sure you already know most of this.

Hacc

Post by Hacc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:19 am

I personally must agree that running is the best way to start off. I myself jog one mile then run one mile at top speed then jog one mile on a treadmill everyday. Also for arm strength start off with pushups and keep trying at the pull ups and eventually you will be able to do more. Anything you do is better then doing nothing so really anything is an improvement.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:27 am

Well, haven't seen you around in a while, welcome back to the forums.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:47 pm

Definately have him run I've reassured myself that running is of extreme importance on ops, especiailly with sprints, practice them. I run an average of about 8 miles a day, and last Saturday night I was in a situation where I had to outrun a car from rest for about 50m. I just made it to where the street turned and my straight path turned into a car-proof backyard, any further and he could have just cut me off in a driveway, but I outran him. Run run run run run, its the best thing for him at this point.

Btw the op saturday was a bad fuckup. Nobody caught, but it's really quite embarresing. Thats one I gotta put behind me.

SOPIT

Post by SOPIT » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:14 pm

http://www.goarmy.com/downloads/pt_guide.jsp

try the schedules in the last pages if your looking for basic fitness. its built for the army so it should be decent for basic opping

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Wonderful page, SOPIT. Thanks.

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:54 am

Hmmm... ok.

You will hate me for this, but I'm a realist (I strongly urge you to pound some sand if I hurt your feelings).

You are ex SF with 2 years of service under your belt. That's not including training. Considering you joined the army at 17, that would at LEAST make you 21.

First question: why would a 21+ year old be opping with an overweight 14 year old who can't even do a single pull up?

Second question: how come someone who was in the special forces (meaning you would have to be somewhat of an overachiever, both mentally and physically) can't even put together a basic workout for a fat 14 year old?

Third question: is this fat 14 year old actually you? Be honest now, I won't judge. Fuck it, yes I will.
Fuck off.

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Biohazard wrote:Hmmm... ok.

You will hate me for this, but I'm a realist (I strongly urge you to pound some sand if I hurt your feelings).

You are ex SF with 2 years of service under your belt. That's not including training. Considering you joined the army at 17, that would at LEAST make you 21.

First question: why would a 21+ year old be opping with an overweight 14 year old who can't even do a single pull up?

Second question: how come someone who was in the special forces (meaning you would have to be somewhat of an overachiever, both mentally and physically) can't even put together a basic workout for a fat 14 year old?

Third question: is this fat 14 year old actually you? Be honest now, I won't judge. Fuck it, yes I will.
Skeptism is a good thing. As is reading posts by someone, and doing actual research. Good job on that.
I am over 21, and the reason I am doing this, is an odd story, and I really don't feel like writing it, but if you really want me to, I will.

But, no it is not me.

I can't put together a workout, because, quite simply, I don't want to hurt him doing workouts that I know of.