Night Awareness Guide

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
stealththief

Night Awareness Guide

Post by stealththief » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:20 am

This is a night awareness guide based on techniques from different schools of ninjutsu and experience.Wrote it for opping partners to practice while I'm away, we've started recording our techniques into our own ryu (school of thought kinda) of modern ninjutsu. Here it is:

Black Shadow Ryu Ninpo (Night Awareness)

Sight: To see well at night condition the mind to look for shape and movement instead of color and texture. During night a ninja should use their peripheral vision to scan an environment while moving the eyes in an infinity symbol pattern (Â¥). For the eyes to be most effective one must wait approximately forty minutes in the dark, this should be taken into consideration when creating a time table for an operation
Hearing: At night hearing can make or break an operation. A technique to increase hearing temporarily is to open the mouth, flare the nostrils, and close the eyes. At the same time the head should be relaxed and the hands cupped behind the ears. A ninja should be familiar with the night sounds of their area of operation so as to be able to pick out any unusual noises or lack of noises that should be heard.
Scent: Often times it is too dark to see something and too loud to hear it (if it even makes noise). A breathing technique that will make a ninja more sensitive to scents is to breath in deeply, empty the lungs, then use quick shallow breathes until another deep breath is needed. While using this technique a ninja should concentrate on the inside of the bridge of their nose.
Touch: In complete darkness the sweeping step (nuki ashi) can be used to feel for obstructions using the both the hands and the feet.

Borninshadows

Re: Night Awareness Guide

Post by Borninshadows » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:49 am

stealththief wrote: Hearing: At night hearing can make or break an operation. A technique to increase hearing temporarily is to open the mouth, flare the nostrils, and close the eyes. At the same time the head should be relaxed and the hands cupped behind the ears. A ninja should be familiar with the night sounds of their area of operation so as to be able to pick out any unusual noises or lack of noises that should be heard.
A ninja should be able to imitate those sounds, with a box of crickets, or by the tactical deployment of a chicken. This part requires creativity.
Legal Disclaimer: Everything I have written in the above post is most definitely hypothetical or written by a totally bored person

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:47 pm

I just reread my post and the infinity sign for those who don't know is not a weird Y it is a sideways 8. The symbol codes are different in different places so it showed up wrong.

Red Silhouette

Post by Red Silhouette » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:17 am

Lol. Move your eyes in the shape of a Yen symbol!
Formerly Silhouette
-=-
Just a lost soul searching for purpose

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:46 pm

Use those peripherals =D. I developed that method on my own when I was watching stars, I realized there were lot stars I could only see when I wasn't looking straight at them. Peripherals are very good for determining what something obscured by darkness might be.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:15 am

^ This man do be a wise one :D

That's usually something most people never even stumble upon, pretty helpful for those "think i see something moving in that shadow over there" situations.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:25 am

It'd be common knowledge if people would actually read the e-books this site used to constantly tote. I know a few of them mentioned to never look directly at objects in the dark for too long or the rods in your eyes will expend themselves, so look in a circle pattern around the area you're looking at so your rods stay fresh.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:03 am

What is this "raeding" you speak of? And why would anyone need such a skill as that? :P

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:32 am

Skill such as what? Being able to actually see?
I can't remember what all guides they were in. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in a few military FMs, Night Movements should have it, hell I think even that stupid Secrets of the Ninja book has it.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:34 am

The way we were taught in the rangers is to squeeze your eyes shut as hard as possible for ten seconds.
Legal Disclaimer: Everything I have written in the above post is most definitely hypothetical or written by a totally bored person

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:20 pm

Yeah. I've read that. Another technique is to close one eye while forced to look at an area with lots of light. Preserving night vision in one eye.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:23 pm

Lol, i was being sarcastic, and poking some fun at those of us who don't take the time to read the wealth of information we've got posted here.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Gotcha. It was late last night and I'd just gotten back in from an outing. Guess my sarcasm detector was broke.

GothicNiNjA

Post by GothicNiNjA » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:20 pm

well this might seem kind of dumb to some of you but im sure others would appreciate this, i used to wear sun glasses all the time during the day and im pretty damn sure that helped my night vision a tiny bit, i also spent about twelve days "blind" either by keeping my eyes closed tight or a blindfold/beanie pulled over eyes, to help raise and better understand my other sensors which are very important too, one of the more difficult things was the moving faster such as running or rolling and jumping, it took me a while to get comfortable enough to do these things without a little pain from my misjudgements :shock:
Chaos is Beauty

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:34 am

GothicNiNjA wrote:well this might seem kind of dumb to some of you but im sure others would appreciate this, i used to wear sun glasses all the time during the day and im pretty damn sure that helped my night vision a tiny bit, i also spent about twelve days "blind" either by keeping my eyes closed tight or a blindfold/beanie pulled over eyes, to help raise and better understand my other sensors which are very important too, one of the more difficult things was the moving faster such as running or rolling and jumping, it took me a while to get comfortable enough to do these things without a little pain from my misjudgements :shock:
Cool stuff, I've recently started to wear earplugs all the time, my hairs kinda long so it covers them. PLus Im in a band and go to a lot of shows so I really think I've damaged my hearing in the past few months.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

Kumori

Re: Night Awareness Guide

Post by Kumori » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:30 pm

If your eyes are really strained (mine get strained really easily when I look through binoculars, or at far away things, or general night vision). I learned a good technique when I went the optometrist last. squeeze your eyes shut, and flex as many muscles as hard as you can, it should relieve the strain in your eyes. I'm pretty sure this works because blood pools in your eyes and when you flex your muscles you force the blood to circulate properly again, though I'm not entirely certain. Does seem to relieve strain though.