Lookout methods

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Dethkreep

Lookout methods

Post by Dethkreep » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:51 am

I've been wondering about what are some of the best methods of being a lookout for 2 other people are, especially while they are doing things such as carshopping/vandalism. I'm especially interested in this aspect in opping because I have pretty much become our designated lookout in our team of 3 and it's proved to be pretty fun.

The places we op in are mostly subdivisions with limited entrances (Usually only 1 or 2 places a car could enter the area). However there are many streets and intersections within the subdivision itself. The two Ideas I came up with would be as follows:

1: Tail the other 2 at about a good range always sticking hidden at the nearest intersection on the lookout for cars coming down any of the connecting roads.

2: Stick only at entrances to a subdivision keeping as many as possible in sight and if a car pulls in warn the other 2 via radio, using codewords.

And I'm also looking for clarification on this, do police monitor civilian radio frequencies at all times? Because if they do that changes a couple things.

Those 2 plans are what I've come up with in recent days, I'm also not an expert opper yet so please correct me if my plans have any serious flaws and please tell me if there are any better methods of looking out for others. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:05 am

I find the best lookout spots are high up, a rooftop/water tower that lets you see 360 degrees around you works well for me, as does a tall tree or a fire escape. Be sure you can radio, call or yell (if you really have to) to your buddies in the cars. If you can pull of a civilian look in your area do that, pretend to be on the phone and sit somewhere where you can see what's up.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:06 am

Yeah hopefully we can scrounge up some radios, we'll have to plug em into some headphones at least (I think they'd be very loud and obnoxious otherwise). But until then, I'll just have to get a good gap between the threat and me, yell, and run =]

ColdSweat117

Post by ColdSweat117 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:17 am

My best advice would be, while you and your team are already in position, have a specific hiding place for your team so that when you make a noise (chirp, whistle, cough) or when you radio them they have a set and safe place to go to. Always make sure you can see pedestrians/cars for atleast 300-400 meters to be extra careful. And to my knowledge, the police do not check civilian radio channels, but they have the equipment to do so, so be careful.
Speak your piece, even if your voice shakes.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:45 am

Tetragrammaton wrote:Use some caution when sticking people up on trees and towers, as it can create a trap for them if they're surrounded on the bottom. You can read for yourself in experiences how often people are seen in some way on rooftops. Make certain the lookout keeps a low profile and maintains noise discipline. Climb where nobody can see you climbing (i.e. not facing building windows or roadways)
Truth.
A lot of larger buildings have fire escapes on multiple sides, with either ladders or stairs or are within jumping distance from the roof if your, gutsy, confident and a skilled jumper. Use them for escape.

mib

Post by mib » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:12 am

Tetragrammaton wrote:Use some caution when sticking people up on trees and towers, as it can create a trap for them if they're surrounded on the bottom. You can read for yourself in experiences how often people are seen in some way on rooftops. Make certain the lookout keeps a low profile and maintains noise discipline. Climb where nobody can see you climbing (i.e. not facing building windows or roadways)
But was it not you who espoused the 3 dimensional rule of hiding in your manual? maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I suppose it depends on the situation.

nooner

Post by nooner » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:11 am

Best lookout, ideally, is an overgrown hillside/ridge with underbrush but few trees. You keep low, and near the top but not actually at it. That way you get the height but not the horizon disruption. You can take the same approach with buildings - park yourself on the fire escape just below the roofline. You'll lose some view scope, but it will be much harder for someone's eyes to accidentally catch you.

Wherever you're at, try to work with the patterns around you. This goes beyond just typical clothing colors. If you're on top of a spire or something vertical like that, be vertical. If you're on a rooftop, be as horizontal as you can. Eyes spot disruptions, not continuities.
Eat your veggies...

mib

Post by mib » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:40 am

Never mind, that was Hardman.