Animals

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
ColdSweat117

Animals

Post by ColdSweat117 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:29 am

I live in the mountain/hill area. One mental aspect that always bothers me is animals. Cougars, coyotes, foxes always bother me and my work, even if there aren't even there. It's the looming mental thought that they could be there. There have been several cases of cougars killing bikers near my area. Does anyone else have the same problem?

I am also new so bear with me if I put this in the wrong section.

-ColdSweat
Speak your piece, even if your voice shakes.

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:35 pm

one option would be to carry some bear-strength pepper spray. since it's made to stop a bear, it should have no trouble stopping smaller animals. just make sure to carry some neutralizer just in case. you could even wear a pair of goggles to make sure none gets into your own eyes.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:04 pm

That's a pretty good idea. Another alternative is to develop some sort of weapon skill. there's a big difference between an unknowing biker, and an armed opper who's aware of his surroundings.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

TheTorch

Post by TheTorch » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:48 am

Phantom wrote:one option would be to carry some bear-strength pepper spray. since it's made to stop a bear, it should have no trouble stopping smaller animals. just make sure to carry some neutralizer just in case. you could even wear a pair of goggles to make sure none gets into your own eyes.
Take nothing, leave nothing.
"Patient tries to climb into activity box, and is generally agitated - responds slowly to the suggestion he might like to draw some more. He has become largely none verbal."
/Torch>

Blackcell

Post by Blackcell » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:49 am

Best advice i could think of is if you have a looming feeling that suddenly gets worse along with some noises, itd be wise to stop every 50 to 100 ft and wait and listen, cougers and mountain lions are known to attack with speed and stealth if your caught off guard mace wont help you get a large cat off you. Be wise, know your surroundings and become a hunter, put a hunter mentality in your brain and then you will no longer feel like pray, more of a game of whose paying more attention.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:51 am

Yeah, I live in an area where I know that in the sparse small forests, and large forest preserve near my house, have quite a few coyotes and deer, smaller animals too but Im not worried about them.

I'm not too worried about deer, but theres only one situation I would be worried about. A pack of coyotes, and me, alone.

I've encountered coyotes before, both times the coyote was alone and it was daytime. The coyote would freeze, as would I, eye contact for a good 5 seconds, then it would run off.

Do you think in the dead of night in a forest alone, a pack of coyotes would have a go at me? And if so what could I do to help myself, I use that forest alot with others, but I only just started considering using it on solo ops. I have a good can of mace I recently opped, but I dont know how well 1 can would do on a pack of coyotes. Suggestions :?:

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:51 am

Yeah, I live in an area where I know that in the sparse small forests, and large forest preserve near my house, have quite a few coyotes and deer, smaller animals too but Im not worried about them.

I'm not too worried about deer, but theres only one situation I would be worried about. A pack of coyotes, and me, alone.

I've encountered coyotes before, both times the coyote was alone and it was daytime. The coyote would freeze, as would I, eye contact for a good 5 seconds, then it would run off.

Do you think in the dead of night in a forest alone, a pack of coyotes would have a go at me? And if so what could I do to help myself, I use that forest alot with others, but I only just started considering using it on solo ops. I have a good can of mace I recently opped, but I dont know how well 1 can would do on a pack of coyotes. Suggestions :?:

darkwolf7

Post by darkwolf7 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:35 am

[quote="Dethkreep"]Yeah, I live in an area where I know that in the sparse small forests, and large forest preserve near my house, have quite a few coyotes and deer, smaller animals too but Im not worried about them.

Do you think in the dead of night in a forest alone, a pack of coyotes would have a go at me? And if so what could I do to help myself, I use that forest alot with others, but I only just started considering using it on solo ops. I have a good can of mace I recently opped, but I dont know how well 1 can would do on a pack of coyotes. Suggestions :?:[/quote]

first of all I live only about 100 miles from one of the most well known and biggest national forests. coyotes are tiny they are scavengers at best and when their not they eat rodents, they arnt going to bother you. even where I live where the wolves are as wild as they get are not even going to fuck with you, they know better even If they could kill you they wouldnt their hasnt been a single coyote attack recorded [b]ever[/b], and their hasent been a recorded wolf attak since around 1976 or so the recent wolf attacks are when some dumb torist provoks it to get a good picture of it snarling.

really you shouldnt worry about that.

On the other had their have been recent (within the last 5 years) recordings of cougar attacks for whatever reason and bear attacks happen annually. But unless you have Grizzlies in your area the black bears wont screw with you they are usually just as scared as you are. And besides bears make a lot of noise when they move and they dont wait to encounter some poor helpless human, if theirs one somewhere around you you'll hear it, so then run away. And bears usually sleep at night.

honestly your fine, just bring some spray. And hope to what ever deity that their are not crazy cougars in your area, cuz theirs not much you can do about them even as rare as they are to attack a human.

If one can of bear mace is good enough for a [b][u] grizzly bear[/u] [/b] its good enough for an imaginary pack of rabid coyoties, again their not going to hurt you :lol:
buy ninjutsu today!

ColdSweat117

Post by ColdSweat117 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:08 am

I have been researching online on what to do about Cougars, but I really haven't found much except two interesting ideas.

1. Paint eyes on the back of your hood/back of your shirt, to confuse the animal into thinking that you're looking at it so it may back off.

2. If your wearing a backpack and encounter a coyote, cougar or anything else and don't have a good strength weapon, place the backpack on top of your head and make weird noises such as barking, gnarling, yelling, anything to creep the shit out of it.

I have encountered a cougar recently, but luckily, it did not even try to approach me, it just nonchalantly walked away, I guess the only way it would harm a human being is if its feeling threatened or if its really hungry. Either way, I'd just say be cautious of your surroundings, and if possible, try to find a easy way to protect yourself.
Speak your piece, even if your voice shakes.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:52 pm

There have been some rumors going around the town where my cottage is located (A place I have and will again op) that there is at least one cougar wandering around. The place is located in Northern Indiana and more than a few people have reported seeing it. This is my only concern with animals now. I'll just bring mace.

hX_

Post by hX_ » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:12 am

Dethkreep wrote: I'll just bring mace.

Make that bear mace.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:03 pm

I'll just bring Bear Mace :wink: