Tips for Beginners

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Nightstalker 1
Location: An extensive search has been made. We have found nothing.

Tips for Beginners

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:03 pm

Do any of you experienced guys have any training tips for a newbie like me?

Love to hear thoughts and advice!
There are hunters and there are victims. By your cunning, you will decide whether you are a hunter or a victim.

spartan_ninja45

Re: Tips for Beginners

Post by spartan_ninja45 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:10 am

I don't have much experience compared to the veterans on the forum, but something I've been mindful of/practicing lately is pushing my body to function under various difficult circumstances. Learning meditation should be a prerequisite to this. It boils down to going days without sleep, fasting, etc. And when I feel weak I do some practice ops or conditioning in my apartment. The goal is to sharpen your meditation to the point that you can carry out a multiple day op or recon mission without needing much of anything, and still being able to sustain physical effort in spite of the exhaustion. Basic mental toughening. Xanatos talked about a similar thing a few months ago iirc, maybe you could expand on that @xanatos

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:32 am

that still helps

thanks!
There are hunters and there are victims. By your cunning, you will decide whether you are a hunter or a victim.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:29 pm

You mean these?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:51 pm

thanks Xanatos!

MustacheOperator3

Post by MustacheOperator3 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:12 am

Nightstalker 1 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:03 pm
Do any of you experienced guys have any training tips for a newbie like me?

Love to hear thoughts and advice!
Just work hard to acquire skills, and don't overlook your physical conditioning. And remember, emotional/mental conditioning can be just as useful as physical conditioning. Run, work out, hike, whatever it takes. Develop and foster a warrior mindset. Victory (which includes a clean getaway) above all else.

There are some skills you will probably want to pick up:

1) Unarmed combatives.
2) Armed combatives.
3) Close quarters battle tactics.
4) Military strategy (learn about things like formation, flanking, encirclement, advancing, retreating, taking objectives, METT-TC, higher level theory etc).
5) Breaching (picking locks, use of explosives or incendiaries like TH-3 thermate, thermic lances, frangible breaching loads for a short shotgun).
6) Survival. Because you never know when a 4 hour mission might turn into an overnight survival threat.
7) SECRECY! OPSEC! Use TOR on the Internet, don't tell anyone who can ID you about your exploits, that sort of thing. Be smart.
8) Learn how police investigations work and develop countermeasures to particular threats.
9) Learn the basics of conducting reconnaissance, combat patrols, infiltration, social engineering.
10) Always look for multiple ways to accomplish a mission. Don't re-use the same old tricks or the police will catch on and discover a pattern.
11) Take a crash course on jamming radio signals and learn to disable the vast array of "security trinkets" people use these days (Ring doorbell, wireless cameras, wireless alarms, etc) along with their phones, WiFi, etc
12) Get a hardwired alarm panel (something like a Honeywell Vista 20P is a common one) and practice bypass. Learn to bypass or exploit the sensors that trigger alarms
13) Practice tapping hard phone lines
14) Practice disabling hard phone lines
15) Practice handling electricity safely and then learn to disable a home/business electric power (pull the power meter out of the socket and don't touch those contact points...200A is lethal)
16) Learn a niche skill. Could be SCUBA diving, rappelling, that sort of thing. Both are immeasurably useless until they aren't anymore. Either of those skills may save your life or help you complete a mission some day.

There is so much I am leaving out. I am sure.

OH! AND, as Xanatos said...LOOK HERE: https://nightops.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1287 :)

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:40 am

I think it's all great advice...some of those things are pretty easy as I already know a good deal on it but this is really great!

I really appreciate the advice...especially from one of the more experienced operatives on the site.

MustacheOperator3

Post by MustacheOperator3 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:46 pm

Just make sure nobody burns themselves out! Its great...because most people here have a true love and passion for operating. But it really gets lucrative when you start pulling down hundreds or thousands of dollars in loot/cash/drugs/whatever

Although NO doesn't pay my bills, it does give me a buttload of disposable assets and dark money to use on whatever the heart desires :D

Shadow Scout

Post by Shadow Scout » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:47 pm

Last edited by Shadow Scout on Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MustacheOperator3

Post by MustacheOperator3 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:01 pm

Shadow Scout wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:47 pm
MustacheOperator3 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:46 pm
Just make sure nobody burns themselves out! Its great...because most people here have a true love and passion for operating. But it really gets lucrative when you start pulling down hundreds or thousands of dollars in loot/cash/drugs/whatever

Although NO doesn't pay my bills, it does give me a buttload of disposable assets and dark money to use on whatever the heart desires :D
You really sound like an online LARPer. Maybe you aren't, but you definitely trigger my bullshit detectors. If you are doing what you claim, why are you on a public forum bragging about it? What's the point?
Its simple, really.

My ethos comes from humble beginnings as a hacker. Information isn't supposed to be hidden, or secretly squirreled away like the powers that be do. It is supposed to be freely shared among like minded individuals. Unfortunately, OPSEC dictates I maintain a level of deniability.

Frankly, I share these exploits because there is nothing anyone can do about it. I access this site using a dedicated PC, over TOR, on a WiFi connection that isn't associated with me in any way. I am unaccountable. :P

The relevant authorities are quite aware of (some/most of) these crimes.

For what its worth, the gist of every thing I have told you guys is true. I have changed minor irrelevant details in order to mislead or otherwise protect myself. But, its a big country. I could be any one of ~350,000,000 individuals.

And now, your turn. Exactly what have I shared that is impossible? What logical leap must you take to believe it? I walk you through each operation step by step, with a similar target you could even repeat many of the steps to find out exactly how well these tactics work. What you consider advanced is another day for me. Sure, I have a few expensive toys (mostly guns) and electronics. Big deal? You can build, buy or steal any of this stuff yourself.

I personally don't care whether you or anybody else believes me... although I can't imagine why it would be difficult to believe. You really don't think people are out there pulling jobs on a daily basis? They are. Maybe not all operating smartly, but that's their loss and my gain. Besides, sharing information is fun, much like the early days of the wild wild web frontier, when hackers like me posted our exploits for the rest of our community to see and learn from. I'll let my operational knowledge, provable statements (on technology, tactics, etc) speak for themselves. Wherever possible (OPSEC), I've even included pictures. Run a Google Image search on the photos I've shared. You'll see they are original and don't exist anywhere else on the Internet. I sure as shit can't share any of this with people I know.

You want to see my kit laid out with your account name written by it or something? I'd be willing to indulge your disbelief, provided it doesn't compromise operational security or plausible deniability. Believe what you want, but I assure you I'm quite genuine. In fact, there's quite a few things I haven't told you guys and probably never will. Some of those successes are skill and some are downright luck. But totally real all the same.

One final thought. Despite the assertions by some here that I'm somehow "advanced" I am actually here to learn. That includes learning from you. To share, to teach, and to learn. A good operator is never a know-it-all. Other operators, including those starting out, always have their own hard-won knowledge base that you can learn from or build upon.

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:06 pm

Thanks for the tips MustacheOperator! I really think its good advice for me.

I'm planning an op pretty soon and all these tips help me fill up holes in the plan.

P.S. since I don't have access to normal masks, what do u think bout these?

https://frugalfun4boys.com/how-to-turn- ... or-sewing/

MustacheOperator3

Post by MustacheOperator3 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:18 pm

Nightstalker 1 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:06 pm
Thanks for the tips MustacheOperator! I really think its good advice for me.

I'm planning an op pretty soon and all these tips help me fill up holes in the plan.

I think it is great man. I've used plenty of improvised tools, sometimes they are just as good as the commercial equivalent! As long as it covers your facial features, it will work. Of course they can track you by other characteristics, like gait or the mechanics of your movement..but that is not very likely unless you really kick the hornet's nest :D Honestly, a lot of stealth pros recommend a slight bend at the knee/crouch when moving anyhow, which will go a long way at throwing off gait-type analyses

Still to this day, one of my favorite "masks" is a T-shirt in urban camo that I wrap in a similar fashion just below my safety glasses. Urban camo is junk in an urban environment, but during this time of the year with snow on the ground it is not half bad.

I am trying to figure out how I can securely send you an Amazon gift card. Do they issue numbers only? I will search now. A personal favorite of mine is the Blackhawk brand Nomex mask. It is light and thin, but distorts facial features similar to nylon stockings and has the added benefit of being fire resistant. I believe they also make a similar product in Kryptek Yeti, which is a snow-type camo

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:30 pm

Well I don't think that's wise the gift card cause I have to deal with lots of issues and parents.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:34 pm

Nightstalker 1 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:06 pm

I've used the t-shirt method on many ops. Works as good as any balaclava equivalent.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

MustacheOperator3

Post by MustacheOperator3 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:35 pm

Shadow Scout wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:47 pm
MustacheOperator3 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:46 pm

You really sound like an online LARPer. Maybe you aren't, but you definitely trigger my bullshit detectors. If you are doing what you claim, why are you on a public forum bragging about it? What's the point?
I apologize for snapping at you.

I am not upset that you doubt me, but rather that you also doubt your own abilities by implication. Your disbelief says to me that you don't think you could ever take your operations to the next level and I will be the first to say you are wrong. Because I believe in you, and each and every person here.

It isn't about the kit. Or money. Or ability. Or even age. Whatever you think of me, the only difference between us is my realization that we have no limits. Only obstacles and challenges to overcome. Nothing is impossible, even if you're operating with a very limited budget. Buy what you can. Build what you can't buy. And steal what you can't build. The dismal state of security is omnipresent in this country and I suspect it isn't any different elsewhere. The human mind and body is a sophisticated weapon, and is capable of so much.

Tools are just tools. Whether you have fancy toys or not, the tools never make the operator. You fail 100% of the missions you never attempt.

MustacheOperator3

Post by MustacheOperator3 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:36 pm

Nightstalker 1 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:30 pm
Well I don't think that's wise the gift card cause I have to deal with lots of issues and parents.
Ah, no worries! Probably smart. :D

The shirt method will work just fine

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:44 pm

Good :D

Shadow Scout

Post by Shadow Scout » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:50 pm

Last edited by Shadow Scout on Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MustacheOperator3

Post by MustacheOperator3 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:54 pm

Shadow Scout wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:50 pm
MustacheOperator3 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:35 pm
I apologize for snapping at you.

I am not upset that you doubt me, but rather that you also doubt your own abilities by implication. Your disbelief says to me that you don't think you could ever take your operations to the next level and I will be the first to say you are wrong. Because I believe in you, and each and every person here.

It isn't about the kit. Or money. Or ability. Or even age. Whatever you think of me, the only difference between us is my realization that we have no limits. Only obstacles and challenges to overcome. Nothing is impossible, even if you're operating with a very limited budget. Buy what you can. Build what you can't buy. And steal what you can't build. The dismal state of security is omnipresent in this country and I suspect it isn't any different elsewhere. The human mind and body is a sophisticated weapon, and is capable of so much.

Tools are just tools. Whether you have fancy toys or not, the tools never make the operator. You fail 100% of the missions you never attempt.
What I’m getting from your responses is that you’re a bit of a nut. You commit crimes the government knows about, like to brag about it on a public forum for no practical reason, have some weird idealistic beliefs about what you’re doing, worry about total strangers’ skill levels, talk about yourself like you’re a character in a Mission Impossible movie, and think you’re invincible. Sounds like a guy with some delusions (or a good drug supply) to me, but whatever. Doesn’t matter, and no need to apologize. Crazy people make the world go round.
Cool story bro. :)

Intruder

Post by Intruder » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:28 am

First things first.

Have a routine. Do some fitness and basics every day. Get excellent sleep and practice hygiene.
Fitness prevents injuries, hygiene stops you having detection issues and keeps you sterile enough. Sleep and scedule will allow you to pay better attention to your surroundings.

For an itemised slow burn method here is what I would suggest, assuming you sleep well, have an okay fitness base and keep your body and DNA policed well.

1 Clothes.
Get some nice, easy to use sneakers and fresh socks that will keep them from squeaking. Normal pants. Normal hoodie. A tube scarf is the most diverse facemask and in the age of the pandemic having a normal one is accepted openly. Have a hat, be it a cap, a beanie or something that keeps the hood deep. Obscure that face.
Normal, simple non sweaty gloves. You can always find some and it helps to have them.

2 Recon.
Sit down, get a beverage and take a few days to just sit on google maps or earth. I mean really sit and make a specific, devoted and deliberate time toward getting familair with the area you want to go.
Nearest police stations, banks, hospitals and other places with an absolutely guaranteed police and responder presence. Draw a circle of a few miles from there and extend it to about 10 if there are main roads. This is a high risk cone indication. You do not want to mess around near places that get junkie attention or have problem area reputations.
One you eliminate these high attention traffic areas, you need to go to real estate listings. These will be your fall back areas. They will not be occupied and there's always one or two near somewhere. You must map out as many of them as possible and should you ever need to run, you run back to these places, unoccupied. This will prevent you leading someone straight back to your car or home directly.

From here you want to get a location that interests you. You want to know your way in and your way out. Snap a photo of each in google and save them. Those you will look at before heading out. This is also true with the map. You don't have to always go to rote for plans but having a deliberate and planned path to entry will save you a lot of guessing. This is important in the dark. You might want to go past the area by day, often with a few days of time ahead. Dress normal but wear a hat and make yourself not look like you. Once you have google mapped it out, have a few pics of your assumed entry and exits and once you have visited and done a spot check, possibly gathering more pictures that are recent and able to get angles that you cannot in streetview, then you have enough intel to decide if you are feeling it's time to go ahead.

3 Ops.
This is the meat. You must decide how to get there and how to get back. Car. Bike even public transport if you are desperate. These all have problems and advantages that you can figure out on your own with a simple hour of thinking. What I like to do is have a freind drop me off and have them be waiting for a window before the night is done. That is my method and it insulates my own vehicle and you can still opt for a bike and have a mutual pickup. That's transport.

On the op you will want a light. This is not a matter of debate. Red light helps as poeple cannot see it as easily. In urban areas redlights even inside windows will often be mistaken for blips, signals and lights from other cars. People are not attention oriented. Use that. So you have light, and must have light, If you do not you will get indured or touch something you don't expect or want to. Get a light. Don't argue, just get a light. It matters and will save you so much hassle. Don't waste time with natural night vision in a city. Wrong time wrong place and no utility in places that can have totoal arteficial closed room darkness.

Next you want to be very very careful about bringing anything that can be considered weapons, break in tools or anything that someone might slap extra charges onto you for. There's a difference between armed robbery and tresspass and often that can be something as stupid as a knife. You make your own choice on that, I wont reccomend any tool that you don't need. And I mean need need. Whatever happens be able to run.

Bags are useful. You can fill them with credibility props like homeless gear, an On the way home from work story prop, or even a plain old dog lead. If you carry a dog lead over a fence, and get busted you can always say "Have you seen my dog?" The credibility prop. Think about it. Cheap and easy. Bads are good for change over sets of clothes. You mostly only need pants and something to go over jackets. A vest or convertable pants can work wonders with a single hat change. This is good if you talk to someone can have to walk around a corner and back again later. They will remember two different people in the area and you can use that.
A rule of thumb is don't bring anything that you don't have a very specific reason to. Bags, knives, picks, crowbars, airwedges, radios, Nods/Thermals or snake cams. Just leave that shit at home unless you know you will need it. Cameras can be an exception to this, but if you document yourself, have a way to hide the SD card rapidly if you ever get cornered. I like having a swappable card that has non ID photos on it that can be used as an excuse. No photos of ops, no crime right? Think about it.

4 Gtfo.
Making your way out is one of the most neglected aspects of ops. It's where people get sloppy. It's where people think they are done and get compromised. It's where they trip alarms or run into a dog or straight into someone who can ID them and where they were when they got into a nearby car. Do not be this sloppy. Think about, plan and know exactly where you will go. Pick a direction away from the usual way you would be going to get home. People pay attention to direction and you must use that to misdirect them if they see it. Always assume that you are being followed, watched or just recently lost sight ot. Chances are, to some camera, person or creature of the night, you are known. Act like it and behave accordingly. You cannot account for a pinhole letterbox camera that you passed and didn't know about.
The exit of an area should not be the same way into an op area if you have a choice. Going the same way twice and being seen going in might lead you back into someone simply waiting for you. This is common with on site security who aren't going to work but will happily wait for you. This is also true for a lot of rooftoppers.
Have a way out and have pictures of that in your recent memory before you depart.

There are a few things you sould improve reguardless of who you are and what you know.

Acclimatisation. You should at the very least begin the op calm. Nerves are normal. Don't ever let them go away but you will have to get used to being a little on edge for a long time. That's a good thing. You'll have butterflies, you're not scared, you are ready. That's how the body prepares for impact and scary things. It's normal. Don't let it shake your focus from keeping your attention where you need it. Again, nerves are normal, natural and have to be felt. Use them. You must become used to the feeling of being out of the comfort zone. This is where resrearch and recce should help a lot. But nothing truely removes this need to be alert but not alarmed. Nor should it.

Fitness. Don't be fat. Be able to run at a decent two breaths in one long breath out pace. You should be able to do run a 5k at least. If you can not, fix it. Running is your single best insulator against getting caught. Do not neglect this, do not deny this. Running is something people take for granted. Like all practice, you need to do it ahead of time for it to be easier when you need it. So do those runs. Get advice, get a trainer and get shoes that wont let you hurt yourself. Don't run with a load or gear that is heavy on. Not even a small bag. Run normally and regularly. 3 times a week is a nice amount. Do not neglect the simplest and most natural escape method.

Cover story. This is closely related with credibility props and how you act and behave when you think no one is looking. 1. they are, 2 if they aren't you still need to think you are under number 1. The simple things, Have you seen my freind? Have you seen a golden retriever? You can try and employ deception. The fake wallet drop is a classic that tends to work on police even. You drop a wallet with a fake ID and a couple of non event things like cards and loose change. Just have it with you everytime you op in an area that has a very militant police around. This is good for very high risk corp areas that absolutely will call cops if they think they can get you. This is just another layer which can make them give up the chase because they think they have you beat. I mean if you see someone drop thier wallet you probably think they are retarded and done. Be one step ahead. Then another. This is what I mean by cover story, if you have to talk to anyone, you have screwed up and should say nothing at all. They should have no words to assume that you even speak the language. Give up nothing. Do not try and debate, argue, convince or even one word answer them. It never works and chances are they are better socialised than you are. Hell maybe they have problem kids and know bullshit instantly. You cannot ever know, so say nothing and give up nothing. The only cover story you have or should tell is by how you flee and what scraps remain of your presence. They will have cctv, maybe your clothing, hieght, time of arrival, general direction and what you grunt like when jumping a fence. The cover story is not a story you tell, it is your behaviour. That is what covers you. Got that? Okay.

5. The Record.
This is hard. Keeping a record of ops is a learning tool, a liability and a problem all of it's own. A record can convict you or exonerate you if someone happnes to say, get killed in a building you were seen fleeing from at 4am on a saturday. So the record is often as much a defence and a problem if you are caught.
No names. No voices. No clothes that you wear in normal life. Get shoes you use for the ops only so that you don't accidentally spread a unque grass seed somewhere and get busted by an autistic bontanist. Insulation is the name of the game. No one is so stealthy that they get to, there, in out and back, having touched no ones attention. We are in an age of CCTV and mass crowd management with machine learning. You are not that good. No one actaully is. It sucks but that's the reality. So you plan for what you can be good at. Records are handy because they give you the sum of your experiences and can be used to teach others. Xanatos's FLV library for example is invaluable for showing new people and old people with the wrong idea what the night ops creed is all about. If you have your own, you can always learn something from it later looking back as you build your experience and record up. Never take the sum of your experience lightly. You might know something that no one else can even explain without an image. So keep your record straight.

Ultimately this is all theory, the best way to get into ops is to op. Take your time, but don't be paralyzed. In the end, you are simply moving through a non permissive environment, not doing damage and trying to hurt anyone. Do not allow anytone to prevent you from having the most basic of rights, that is the right to roam and explore. We lose that, we're all prisoners. Don't be a prisoner.

Know that whatever you do, we're all finding our way through the night. Keep it up, who knows? You might even bump into another just like you.
Last edited by Intruder on Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:12 pm

...well, that's about everything that needs to be said. Everything described in the above post can be done by pretty much anybody with limited resources - resourcefulness is an important part of Night Ops.

Nightstalker 1

Post by Nightstalker 1 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:24 am

Thanks bro.

Vengeance
Location: Every night look into the darkness and know I'm out there.

Post by Vengeance » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:36 pm

All that info at once may be intimidating to newbies
Nonetheless, brilliant.
Thank you for sharing, Intruder.
It's the nature of this beast to feed upon the will to numb it, this monster brought the seed of life, well now i have become it.