Supplemental Techniques for the YT Channel Dumps

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Psychlonic

Supplemental Techniques for the YT Channel Dumps

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:22 pm

Since the forum is back to a near flat-line but I've been in a skill developing mood, I'm going to turn my topics into a sprawling encyclopedia of sorts that reference each other. A format I've wanted information to be available in for years but there was never any interest in.

This topic is meant to add little snippets of supplementary information to the YouTube Channel Dumps topics. Those can be found here:

YouTube Channel Dump: Pen Testing, Locks
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2397

YouTube Channel Dump: Pen Testing, Alarms
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2398

YouTube Channel Dump: Pen Testing, Digital
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2399

I firmly believe that information is best digested today with interconnected multimedia like this, with comprehensive videos and linked-together "rabbit holes" a user can find themselves clicking away in, getting lost in useful content. Nothing like this exists, so consider this a prototype effort in the meantime. Perhaps someday I'll get motivated and just start up an actual encyclopedia.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Psychlonic

Re: Supplemental Techniques for the YT Channel Dumps

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:39 pm

An addon to loiding as discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2397#p15632

One common thing I run into a lot with less secure buildings I'm curious about is the situation of an inward-opening door that's locked and the outside of a wooden frame overlaps the door enough that I cannot get even a sheet of poly inside to open it up. While generally there are other options that may be available such as a UDT, there is one other option to enable loiding such a door. What you need to know is that the method is destructive and if this is unacceptable you'll have to find a different approach.

The idea is to simply create a slot in the frame to fit your tool inside of.

If you carry a knife, chances are this will be the tool for the job. Even the blade on a multitool works just fine, here. Avoid the saw unless the area is secluded and no security is present, as it generates sound and is therefor less than ideal. You have two ways of doing this.

The first I recommend is to try to create a gap between the frame and the latch by slicing out a sliver directly in front of the door, just enough to allow a poly sheet/card to flex in and grab the latch. This makes the tampering far less evident. The more time that elapses between your entry and someone finding out about it, the better. Such is the nature of a destructive method. Inevitably, someone is going to raise an eyebrow.

If that's unclear, imagine you are facing the door and the handle is on your left. The frame overlaps the door. The face of the frame that's facing right will be flat. You want to start carving your gap into this right-facing flat, halfway toward the door so that your gap isn't visible unless you're standing at the frame looking at it. You might attempt to play a "mind game" here by using your multitool file to smooth this out afterward and maybe rub anything with water onto it in an attempt to make it appear older.

The second option if this won't work is to just cut out a big notch allowing you more direct access to the latch. This is best done by pressing your blade into the right-facing face and rocking it back and forth. You want two cuts - an upper and a lower. Once both cuts have been rocked back far enough to where you can create the necessary gap, pop the piece out by prying. You should now have a square hole which will allow the use of a jim or traveler hook.

This is much more obvious on approach needless to say, and the question must arise of whether the frame modification is worth the effort.

Typically, neither of these are needed but, if you're the type who refuses to just drop the operation and you're considering more drastic measures such as booting the door in, consider this idea first instead.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Post by Sicarius » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:07 pm

Yeah, sorry for not doing anything, I should get around to it. Thanks for contributing, the "rabbit hole" idea is one I have been testing out in a layout I made with HTML and CSS. All of these dumps, especially on security, have been very useful. Finding security stuff quickly is hard, so thanks for the time saver
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:38 pm

You should go for it, it's probably the most common reason I strike up good conversations with people. They start out reading one thing then pretty soon they don't know how they got onto a far more advanced topic. When dealing with people seeking this information out, being able to throw so many ideas at them seamlessly where it doesn't necessarily interrupt the current topic but shows them things they'd never even thought of is a great way to get people to think "That's a really good idea" and if they try it out later... all the better. It keeps your older content new as well and such a format allows for easy updates with new, improved methods.

Such a seamless, multimedia approach is the best bet. Have your own recorded videos integrated directly into articles with accompanying links elsewhere, written material in a library that's also quickly referenced in the articles, and a forum as a means of getting people who come in to learn actively involved. Hell, maybe even allow for comments on the articles by registered forum users too.

Edit: If you get such a website up I will write enough for it to make WotS 100% obsolete and unnecessary.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Post by Sicarius » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:18 am

I am getting off of my ass slowly, but once I do, feel free to write me about it if need be. I have plans, but actions speak louder than words and my coding is currently limited. PHP is required for databases, so stuff like accounts and comment systems, and it looks nauseating compared to JavaScript. Videos posted as files into articles or on my site are something I want to do, YouTube is so political and they are now forcing ads on some videos.

Who else enjoys the rabbit hole layout?
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:37 pm

Further opening up ODT possibilities from here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2397&p=15638#p15638

So the reality with using an ODT on a knob is that it can be very tricky turning the film enough to actually loop it over the knob. Almost always, the gap isn't large enough or it's obstructed by frame geometry such that even if you can slide the film in, you can't really do much besides move it back and forth.

The solution for this is very likely going to be an air wedge. Now if you can slide the air wedge into the top and open the gap up more, that's great. However, chances are if you can do that then you can at least use a sticky tape modded film and flip it over to grab the knob. By all means though, look for this first!

Failing that let's take a look at the sides of the door. Specifically, you're likely to be able to get a wedge in near the hinges. I know it sounds crazy, but just hear me out. You want to place the wedge above the top hinge. It may take gentle prying with a tool to open the gap up just a little more to get one in there but you should be able to do it. Now, if the door is an oddball and there is a hinge at the very top of the door this probably won't work.

Chances of that are slim though... this reason this is going to work is because doors are often hung in a way that allows for slight settling. Otherwise, the door will seize shut if literally any shifting anywhere occurs. There is always play in anything other than the most over-engineered, high security doors out there. When you have an air wedge in the side above the top hinge, what will happen when you inflate it should be that the opposite corner at the top moves down a little. You're canting the door at an angle. Yes, there's the matter of the latch and maybe a deadbolt, but they won't stop the door from canting. You can persuade the door further if necessary at this point by using a second wedge on the side near the bottom, below the handle. I mean technically you can keep wedging and angling the door to its limit. Wedges are light and compact, but during the actual operation it's unlikely you're going to have more than one unless you know what you're up against.

This is how you can create enough of a gap to more easily use an ODT on a knob. If it's enough to use a hockey tape lined version, great. If not, you should be able to use the regular sticky taped version. Bear in mind, this can cause a bit of a groan. It's probably not going to alert anyone that's not immediately nearby but don't try it thinking you can sneak into an occupied room/small building.

You may need to combine this with the notch-making method describe in the first supplemental depending on the frame design and which direction the door moves.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:41 pm

I want to talk a little bit more about padlocks and the idea of breaking them. This branches off from this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2397&p=15653#p15653

Consider this less of a how-to extension and more food for thought.

It is my finding that cheap padlocks aren't keeping you away from anything super interesting. Granted, if you're coming from a place of having nothing than it might seem interesting. But if you have aspirations of not caring about the lock and want some loot, cheap padlocks aren't going to be worth it.

Think about it. A padlock is something typically slapped on to a door or other object that's not already designed to lock in a more sturdy manner. Almost anything worth keeping safe is stored with the latter. A safe. An actual sturdy door and frame combo with good locks. People tend to put padlocks onto things that aren't of real high value but they still don't want the big inconvenience of some asshole coming along and stealing their tools, stored items, etc.

Now, this isn't a hard and fast rule. I personally know of one case where two low-end masterlocks protect a low security lock box that contains the key to a business office. The same goes for certain purely exploration-oriented items, such as access to a cave.

However, even if you think getting access to something like a storage shed is a win... chances are it's not. Even if they have more money than brains, the chance of you stumbling into something you couldn't get yourself doing a small bit of honest work is low.

None of this is me trying to preach morals to you. Rather, I'm telling you that more often than not the risk vs. reward ratio on this stuff is pathetic and is very likely not quick, liquid assets. Not always, but usually. Is it really worth advertising the fact that you were there? Not really.

If you want to get past a padlock you can attack with wrenches or bolt cutters... just get some shims instead. Trust me. If you cannot get shims in your location then make some.