Carrying at "Stealth Ready"

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Psychlonic

Carrying at "Stealth Ready"

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:40 am

-cleaned-
Last edited by Psychlonic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Vengeance
Location: Every night look into the darkness and know I'm out there.

Re: Carrying at "Stealth Ready"

Post by Vengeance » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:53 am

I appreciate your post.
You cover several good techniques every operative should learn.
It's the nature of this beast to feed upon the will to numb it, this monster brought the seed of life, well now i have become it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:16 pm

I do this with various implements, from karambits to kubatons. Carrying them in the palm and hiding them along the inside of my wrist or clenched at the ready in my fist but having my hands in my pocket. In the case of my folding karambit, I can carry it folded in my hand concealed enough and use the protrusion on the finger ring as an immediate striking implement, then deploying the blade in a nanosecond.

Another tip is to have the weapon the same colour as your garments. "Tactical black" is a bit of a meme these days, but carrying a black knife while wearing black clothes (especially at night when you're more likely to need a weapon at the ready in the streets) definitely makes it less noticeable.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

MustacheOperator

Post by MustacheOperator » Sat May 22, 2021 3:28 am

Interesting post.

I carry a small handgun during most operations, although I have also employed a long gun on at least a few occasions. The key here is to practice your draw from concealment (or from a rifle sling) to ensure you won't need to keep your weapon in a threatening position.

Although I would never use deadly force to merely avoid capture, there are plenty of threats you could encounter that won't be so forgiving (or ethical).

I never judge tactical or strategic decisions made by any high speed low drag professional unless I am there. But I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND carrying a less lethal deterrent any time you have a deadly weapon. Its just good practice and the barrier to using the less lethal tool is far lower, and its results are much less permanent.

One final word of advice... if you ever do find yourself needing to employ your weapon, do so without hesitation and for maximum lethal effect. Its a shit situation to be sure, one you'd have to live with for the rest of your life (assuming you then disappeared back into the night without a trace). But the key word here is LIVE.

*I also carry a somewhat powerful green laser pointer (think it came from Wish or some cheap-o site). The effect of this on human vision is well studied, and the temporary blindness it causes actually has a name "dazzling."

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Post by Sicarius » Sat May 22, 2021 4:39 am

MustacheOperator wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 3:28 am
Interesting post.

I carry a small handgun during most operations, although I have also employed a long gun on at least a few occasions. The key here is to practice your draw from concealment (or from a rifle sling) to ensure you won't need to keep your weapon in a threatening position.

Although I would never use deadly force to merely avoid capture, there are plenty of threats you could encounter that won't be so forgiving (or ethical).

I never judge tactical or strategic decisions made by any high speed low drag professional unless I am there. But I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND carrying a less lethal deterrent any time you have a deadly weapon. Its just good practice and the barrier to using the less lethal tool is far lower, and its results are much less permanent.

One final word of advice... if you ever do find yourself needing to employ your weapon, do so without hesitation and for maximum lethal effect. Its a shit situation to be sure, one you'd have to live with for the rest of your life (assuming you then disappeared back into the night without a trace). But the key word here is LIVE.

*I also carry a somewhat powerful green laser pointer (think it came from Wish or some cheap-o site). The effect of this on human vision is well studied, and the temporary blindness it causes actually has a name "dazzling."
Jesus Christ, don't shoot that unless you can get some ammo not in any way related to you. There are about 3-5 different ways to trace a bullet to a gun, mind you since a firearm was used the police force is more open to use forensics which can get you caught much easier. I think operatives should carry self defense weapons, but a gun for someone who is not a Splinter Cell or an actual criminal is a bad idea in my opinion. Your charges also go WAY up if you get caught
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

MustacheOperator

Post by MustacheOperator » Sat May 22, 2021 7:37 am

Generally agree. The long gun is reserved for long range or multi day woodland operations. M&P goes where I do though. It alone would not arouse suspicion under most circumstances fortunately.

I want to ensure I always maintain a tactical advantage and ensure the ability to defeat a genuine threat to my life

That said, if it came to kill or be captured, I'm prepared to take the rap. This greatly increases the chances of a misunderstanding resulting in my demise, even though I have a legal justification for carrying, I wouldn't expect a sworn LEO to risk their life by giving me the benefit of the doubt

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Post by Sicarius » Sat May 22, 2021 7:52 am

I can kind of see your point, but just remember you are fucked if you shoot it or get caught. After guns running the hell away is the next best effective defense, so do that in a situation if you can. Consider high power "non-lethal" guns, Psychlonic knows a little about them and there are some non-lethal threads. Paintball pistols or rifles loaded with glass-breaker rounds and that are high-powered would hurt, if not break something on the target. The only people to not feel it would be someone on drugs, which may not feel gunshots to COM anyways. Your choice of course, I just would not want to see someone given 15 years rather than 4. I imagine the gun increases confidence in the field a lot though, which is positive
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince