Autumn Training Opportunities

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Wind

Autumn Training Opportunities

Post by Wind » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:10 pm

Here, in the Northern Hemisphere, we are deep in the heart of autumn. I want to share some training opportunities I am taking advantage of based on this season and hope to hear from others on this topic, as well.

The two main training focuses for me this week have been moving through areas with lots of fallen leaves and stalking squirrels. I live in an area with lots of trees, making fall an ideal time to practice walking through leaves silently and sneaking up on squirrels that are busy preparing for winter.

One tip for moving through leaves I picked up from the Stephen K. Hayes' book The Mystic Arts of the Ninja: "Once you have gotten into the spirit of tramping, shuffling, and crunching along in total disregard for potential noise, gradually begin paring away the unnecessary movement aspects that create the unwanted noise" (31-32). Specifically noticing what movements create shuffling (foot drag) and crunching (weight transfer) noises have been instructive in helping me tweak my technique so that it is quieter. These kinds of refinements seem to be a nearly endless endeavor.

With this training, I have also been observing where I am most likely to encounter lots of leaves in case I cannot scan the ground level of an area well in the darkness to avoid areas that would be noisy to move through. Obviously, leaves are most likely to be around trees. Also, I have noticed that they tend to be more prominent in low lying areas, the sides of hills, near curbs, and along fences -- basically anywhere leaves could be blown by the wind and accumulate.

For our friends in the Southern Hemisphere or areas without lots of trees, a good substitute is scattering balls of paper about. Practice both moving the paper gently to the side and, also, silently stepping down on the balls of paper. This is a training trick I picked up years ago from a Ninjutsu instructor in Denver, Colorado.

As for stalking squirrels, I have few meaningful conclusions other than keep an object in front of you that makes it hard for the squirrel to see you, move slowly and quietly, be patient, keep your gaze soft, and your energy subdued. It is definitely a challenge! However, if you can sneak up and touch a squirrel, you could sneak up on nearly any human, so the challenge is worth it.

I would love to hear others' thoughts on moving through heavily leaved areas, sneaking up on squirrels :D , or other training opportunities that autumn presents.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Re: Autumn Training Opportunities

Post by Sicarius » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:53 am

I am so jealous :/ that you have seasons. Here in Florida, and this is according to science, we only have a dry season and a wet season. The temperature rarely drops below 50 degrees F, or 10 degrees C. Most of the year it is just wet, humid, and a marvelous temperature of 80 degrees F, or 26 degrees C.

I have yet to move onto wild animals, but stalking stray cats is very fun for me. They always get so surprised when I reveal myself.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Wind

Post by Wind » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:17 am

:)
Last edited by Wind on Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:40 am

I remember on our last op of NOPCON II we were moving through a pitch-black forest in a gated community with plenty of crunchy leaves on the floor. I was taking point and made the effort of sweeping the ground in front of me with my hand to clear any debris before putting my foot down. Weight transfer onto leaves is definitely louder & a lot more noticeable than gently brushing them aside like a light breeze.

Also, moving close to trees means you can use the exposed roots to step on silently as well as having something to hide behind. Always be on the lookout for quiet things you can step on (roots, rocks, stumps, branches, etc). And take advantage of any noise cover, such as wind through the trees or passing traffic.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:37 am

Will there ever be a NOPCON III?
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Wind

Post by Wind » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:18 pm

@Xanatos, great points! Thanks for the input!

Using other noises to mask our own sounds is very effective. In fact, yesterday, during my training, I was next to a busy street and noticed I could stomp around pretty loudly in the leaves unnoticed due to the loud traffic noises.

Train well, brother.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:38 pm

Sicarius wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:37 am
Will there ever be a NOPCON III?
There was supposed to be a meetup of sorts this year, but it's 2020 so... yeah.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:58 pm

I hate this stupid virus at this point.