Footprints

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
rvn

Footprints

Post by rvn » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:24 am

Any go-to resources about all things tracks and footprints? Important thing to understand for stealth. I saw info about it in Psychlonic's Way of the Shadow. I'm looking for highlights from that, personal favorites, and additional resources.

Walking in forests of different textures has been a challenging training in this area. Every step leaves some trace. Understanding the tracks of others and studying my own helps make use of these impacts or a lack or illusion thereof.
it's a bird, it's a --...no wait it's nothing
(and yet it's something)

Kenlee

Re: Footprints

Post by Kenlee » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:54 am

Maybe tracks to leave a trace, but it’s the footprint 👣
Nobody goes out barefoot in to the forests or not normally, tracking relies on foot prints left by shoes or boots and if a person wishes to, they could change their foot print every time they went for a walk or got so far and at the end restore them foot prints without destroying the shoe or boots

If they wanted to do this cheaply then they sell gel shoe protectors which have a different set of grips on the bottom so they would hide your shoes foot print and then you would ditch the cover but I’d image you could print your own foot prints on shoes using a 3D printer and carbon fibre filament and you could probably make it look like a fake bare foot print. They also make strap on snow chains when you walk it would tear up the group and foot print but that would be destructive

rvn

Re: Footprints

Post by rvn » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:56 pm

Gel shoe protectors are an interesting idea Kenlee, I didn't think of that. I wonder if they also make foot steps quieter, and how they affect traction.

That also makes me think of the boot baggies which contractors wear as they come inside a client's home, to avoid tracking mud in. These must be bad for traction and fragile but would be a disposable way to modify tread at least.
it's a bird, it's a --...no wait it's nothing
(and yet it's something)