Switching disguises

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Svbnecto

Switching disguises

Post by Svbnecto » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:14 pm

So finally got some time to post my first thread on the forum.
It seems that not everybody is keen on disguises yet in my experience it sometimes is essential. Especially because I travel a lot by foot or bike to get to many of my OP sites. I normally wear some jogging pants or something sporty that contrasts a lot with what I am wearing underneath. If I walk around in a black BDU at night with a mole backpack people are obviously more suspicious. I never take much just something lightwheight I can stash fast and easily. I switch disguise in some isolated area, yet not on OP site itself. Sometimes still takes a good few mintues to get there. If it rains colorful ponchos are great as you can hide everything underneath. Switching disguises is then quite fast. I'm also thinking of acquiring a wig and some colored contact lenses if I have to go through more crowded areas.

Any opinions or advice? What is your experience with disguises?

Xanatos

Re: Switching disguises

Post by Xanatos » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:58 am

I live in quite a built up urban area as well and I employ the same tactics. I still op in full "tactical" attire, but sometimes it's impossible to get to the AO fully masked up without drawing attention to yourself. I usually hide all my gear under a long coat or carry it in a separate bag, changing when I reach the AO or a thieves' highway.

I'd say going for a wig & contacts is a bit of a stretch unless you're going past a heavily surveilled area towards a risky target. Use more conventional methods of concealing your identity from a distance, such as a hoodie or baseball cap.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

F3R4L

Post by F3R4L » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 pm

You should wear something that's good enough for opping, but does not look too suspicious in an urban environment. Just wear a dark hoodie with some dark pants and remove the more suspicious stuff (mask, gloves) when you are outside the AO. You should be able to quickly change between your street clothes and your opping gear. Wearing a rain poncho or some kind of overcoat is a good idea.I wouldnt bother with changing pants, unless it's really neccessary.

If you really want to use heavy disguise (like wigs and contacts), these 2 files might be useful:
Attachments
Disguise Techniques By A Edmond MacInaugh - Paladin Press.pdf
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 550 times
OSS Disguise Methods.pdf
(480.8 KiB) Downloaded 597 times

Svbnecto

Post by Svbnecto » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:10 pm

Xanatos wrote: I'd say going for a wig & contacts is a bit of a stretch unless you're going past a heavily surveilled area towards a risky target. Use more conventional methods of concealing your identity from a distance, such as a hoodie or baseball cap.
Yeah I wouldn't use them in a "normal" environment, but more in situations as you mentioned or when checking out an OP area/site during the daytime where more people are around especially if there is a need to go inside. Good point, for sure sometimes simple methods can be more efficient there is no need getting all pretentious.

Thanks for sharing those files F3R4L they seems quite interesting. I see disguises just as another form of camouflage really, so adapting to the environment is of course crucial. In an urbanized setting that would mostly be the people and crowd you are surrounded by at that moment.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:37 pm

I just made a post in Bad Ideas bordering on this; I wouldn't worry about people not being keen on wearing multiple "outfits". I've always done it, and realistically there's times where that's the only way.

Google gives this definition for "Camouflage":
the disguising of military personnel, equipment, and installations by painting or covering them to make them blend in with their surroundings.
I'd argue that in an urban area where there's other people, the most effective way of blending in with your surroundings it to look like those people.

There's nothing wrong with a pair of boots and cargo pants - which looks quite normal - and a thick casual hoodie on over the top. Then all you need is a light waterproof/dark layer to go over the top, and you're sorted. Most lightweight layers can be folded down to fit in a pocket too.

If you've got a rucksack and you really want to go all out - albeit slightly ballsy - I'd even go as far as to say it's worth getting a reflective/hi-viz layer for your backpack. I have one for when I'm on my motorbike, but not only does it look perfectly normal - it also makes you look even less suspicious. It also has the benefit of covering your backpack; and sometimes they're reversible with a darker layer on the inside - meaning no more snags or anything, which can be a nightmare if you're hanging off a fence or wall. (Speaking as someone who had a flashlight attached to a MOLLE strap on his backpack, and found himself stuck about 8 foot off the ground with a busy road to one side and a security van on the other.. :D )
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."