Time for a new workout thread.

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Psychlonic

Re: Time for a new workout thread.

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Oh Jesus, you dicks! Since we've got about 3 semi-active users contributing to threads right now, I'm going to open this back up to talk about training some more.

Strength and bulking are old hat at this point, I'm still training for strength but now we're going to talk more about speed, agility, and endurance. Currently, my big goals are to be able to jump higher, run farther, and improve my general foot speed. For jumping higher, I have a long way to go. Fact is, I haven't REALLY trained for a better vertical in years. To remedy that, I'm following a regimen that includes plyometric box jumps, weighted box jumps, using an old school chain driven kangaroo jumper pro machine, and some neat chair drills. I'll have some links at the bottom of this post for more info.

Foot speed right now is mostly consisting of ground ladder work and 5-point dot drills. Again, links at the bottom. It's a basic start I plan to expand on later as I get better at those drills.

Running father, there's no replacement for just running over and over. Currently I run as far as I can manage then hit the elliptical to get in a sort of "cheat extra" to push myself even farther. My biggest enemy right now is lactic acid build-up rather than pure cardio but I've found some really clever solutions to overcome this that you can use as well to instantly run farther. Depending on how much you care about being "natural", you can either run a little farther, or significantly farther. What benefits my heavy ass will benefit you two or even three-fold.

Basically, four things will help you run farther right now, without any additional training whatsoever: dilating your nasal passage, buffering lactic acid, and increasing your mitochondria count, and increasing blood flow/O2 to your muscles. Let's go over how to do each one:

Dilating the Nasal Passage
Too easy. Just get yourself some nasal dilators online - turbines are time tested but others work as well. Just make sure they aren't completely solid as to allow hairs to still come through and filter the air. In addition, a generic nasal spray directly before running/night op will really open the airways further. The more you can breath through your nose and exhale through your mouth in a cyclic manner, the more you can do. Proven FACT in multiple studies. All kinds of problems can come up and cause the nasal passage to be less than optimal, so brute forcing them open when it's time to get serious will make a big difference.

Buffering Lactic Acid
Our bodies already buffer lactic acid using these items, so all we're going to do is exploit the system by supplying the body with ample amounts of them. Those things are sodium bicarbonate, sodium citrate, and beta-alanine. Sodium citrate metabolizes into sodium bicarbonate after ingestion, and although it seems backward to take that instead of just sodium bicarbonate alone, the reality is that it's actually more effective. Your body will get more sodium bicarbonate in it by taking that, which in turn creates a more alkaline environment in the muscles. As you learned in basic science, alkalinity can cancel out acidity - lactic acid. This helps the muscle function longer without suffering acidic breakdown from too much of the stuff. Beta-alanine increases the rate of carnosine production, which also helps to keep the muscles more alkaline. Both can be used together for increased effect and instant increase in function before lactic acid can build up and slow you down!

Increasing Mitochondria
This is where drugs and money come into play, so you may decide to opt out of this. Basically, the SARMs SR-9009 and Cardarine do not fuck around here and will give you and instant boost of never-ending energy (at least until the drug clears out of your system). We're not talking about a caffeine-like rush here, we're talking child-like energy because your cells will once again go into overdrive supplying you with energy you haven't felt in awhile. On the less hardcore side of this, CoQ-10 and Niagen will do the same thing through different methods. If you combine all four of these, forget about tiring out. At that point lactic acid will be the only thing slowing you down, possibly O2 saturation if you REALLY push yourself too hard. Speaking of...

Increasing Blood Flow and O2 Saturation
O2 is your energy and even though the common thought is that we don't get enough oxygen from our environment, the reality is that we're just super inefficient. Yes, breathing O2 will give you a temporary boost, but you can actually increase how much oxygen your body carries naturally for a far better increase. The first thing is to increase the sheer volume of blood flowing through you. More blood, more O2. The easiest way to do this is to increase your nitric oxide levels. There are heaps of supplements out there that will do this, including horny goat weed. Also, be sure to use l-citrulline malate on top of whatever else you choose, because that will increase the natural turn over rate back into nitric oxide once it's spent. The dilated blood vessels will last even longer. There are ways to directly increase the O2 saturation of the cells as well, but I'm not going to get into that because to be blunt, I don't know enough about the subject to recommend you a safe method of doing so. As far as I've read, there ISN'T a safe way to do that. Methods can induce a stroke, blood clot, etc.

Obviously, using all four methods will be pretty much instant gains. If you used all four in the span of two weeks, I would say you should triple your current running capability. I'm not exaggerating. Results will slowly decrease the less you do.

AS FOR ME... I'm saving the more hardcore items for a specific event coming later this year for me to test my progress.

Anyway, let's wrap this up. 2016, got huge and strong. 2017, let's break physics!

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0qjk6h0I8E
Here's an example of the kangaroo jumper and some guy doing it wrong. These are pretty rare, I've only ever seen two in my life. Most of them you see now use weight and a totally different system. IMO they're not as effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GteEqJ6VVug
Gravity jumps, train using a chair to jump higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6aXLg2YX0o
The 5-point dot drill. Obviously you can make do with anything using similar spacing, you don't NEED the mat but the grippy texture helps a TON and you should definitely use something you won't slip on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4bIJ_BGqZ0
Motivation! Mostly for me, but some of you can see what's possible for a big guy to do.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:27 am

Have you tested using all four methods yourself? It'd be pretty interesting to see how much of a difference it makes from an opping standpoint.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Not all at once yet, no. I have used each method alone though and gotten endurance results either lifting weights, running, or sometimes both. I plan to test all four together plus a few other things this summer however and can probably apply them to an op as well, maybe do the cross country trek we went on again and see if there's a difference. I would consider significant success being able to hike over there faster and jog the road back here, which seems reasonable even for me on all of that stuff. The most I've combined for running are nitric oxide boosters, niagen, coq-10, nasal dilators, and beta-alanine and even that makes an enormous difference. It's going to be some good shit.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:40 am

Heck, you could probably do that trek in 20 minutes minus the potholes. Think there's any possible side effects from combining all these methods or perhaps have them cancelling each other out?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:33 pm

The risk of sides is more dependent on protocol and failure to adhere to them. For instance, there's no side effects of nasal spray unless you constantly use it. Abuse of SARMs will also cause potential issues. Excess sodium bicarbonate can overload the body with sodium. Assuming you're adhering to the times and doses you should be, then the only risk beyond that is connective tissue injury. Basically, runners knee the next day because you ran way more than you are used to. Also if you can already run a long distance, hydration comes into play and either a means to re-hydrate or super-hydrating before hand should be considered.

As for interactions and whatnot, none. Every drug and supplement listed here works through a different channel. Long term following of the protocol would probably be hard on the liver and kidneys I imagine, it's not something you could sustain for months/years. Similarly, none would reduce the effects of others. Everything stacks.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri May 12, 2017 2:39 am

Currently I'm about a week into a ketosis diet. Wanting to maximize my efficiency for a given weight by leaning out as much as possible without becoming unhealthy. As of today I've been experiencing the energy rush reported by most practitioners of the diet, I have to say it's actually quite impressive! I do feel a bit weaker but that's to be expected with the shifting of my entire energy system. Time to adjust plus a good cycle of LGD-4033 will help and prevent muscle loss, and in the meantime I'm still not exactly weak in general.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri May 12, 2017 11:59 am

Is there any health risks associated with the lack of fat & oil intake? Or do you substitute those with nuts & shit?

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat May 13, 2017 12:21 am

Xanatos wrote:Is there any health risks associated with the lack of fat & oil intake? Or do you substitute those with nuts & shit?
Fat and oil intake IS keto diet. Ketosis is the replacement of carbs and the subsequent glucose energy system in the body for ketones which are synthesized from body fat when carbs are no longer available. To do this, it's typical to try to aim for under 20 grams of carbohydrates a day which I try to do as well even given my size. Yes, it's as shitty as it sounds at first but once you find solutions you get by. My diet is about 75% fat, 20% protein, and the remaining 5% carbs (maybe even slightly less?). Then, you adhere to a calorie deficit so your body isn't just converting fat intake into ketones. Rather, it's forced to convert body fat into ketones giving you energy and shredding your body. Everything except the brain prefers ketones in ketosis, the brain still needs glucose but this can be synthesized from the allotted carb intake or any excess protein intake.

It's backward land, if it seems confusing you probably read all of that right. You eat like a fat ass - bacon, adding oils to your shakes, raw eggs galore, burgers without the buns... and it's actually good for you. Plus in ketosis your body doesn't retain water so sodium intake is a non-factor. It won't cause you to retain any water therefore excess sodium has zero negative effects. Eat fat to lose fat. Yeah, it's fucking weird.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat May 13, 2017 4:34 am

Ah, I see. The way you explained it in Chat I thought you were removing all fats & carbs from your diet so your body has to use up your natural stores. Makes more sense now.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Nothing new really this week, still training lower body mobility and explosiveness, strength training, running, and still on my keto diet. It's working pretty well actually, I can already notice a pretty big difference in definition between now and recent progress photos. Going to be some good shit! Also got a group here hoping to start getting together and doing some MMA training, been awhile and there's a few big guys which will be perfect.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri May 19, 2017 8:19 am

"MMA" as its own style or a genuine mix of martial arts?

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat May 20, 2017 4:21 am

Typical MMA training - wrestling, BJJ, and hybrid striking styles.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:46 pm

GAIN FASTER

With some looking to optimize their workouts for night ops on here, figured I'd share some tips I've learned over the years. While most of this is dietary in nature, I'll throw in some neat exercise tips too.

So regardless of what program you've adopted, the principles of how your body will build itself up are the same. You are damaging structures and your cells are repairing and reorganizing. Your big factors in repair are available receptors, building supplies and cellular energy.

First, since most of you doing this are younger avoid anything that heavily effects your hormones. Your body isn't done developing yet and unnaturally messing with this system will stunt your natural potential. Once you stop making artificial changes, your body will have a lower ceiling of potential and you'll suffer in the long run. I wouldn't touch anything of the sort until at least 25 and after that if you go that route, educate yourself in full. Don't just read some shit here and there.

Alright, building blocks. Obviously you need complete proteins first and foremost. Today there are all kinds of complete protein options out there. For a younger operative, I would take your weight in pounds and consume 80% of that in grams of complete protein daily. There's whey, plant proteins galore, crystalized egg whites... find what works and doesn't cause you discomfort. Science shows that protein is very effective when taken within an hour after your exercise. I always consume 25g protein before working out and at least another 25g after I work out. Even at your size, this should work well. Spread most of the balance throughout your day but make sure to save another 25g before bed. You grow the most in your sleep and your body needs protein during this phase for maximum efficiency.

If you want to supplement with BCAAs which will also help with repairs, it's one of those things to just always have around. Wake up in the middle of the night thirsty? BCAAs. As soon as you wake up in the morning before you do literally anything - BCAAs. Never leave your body starving for protein.

And don't worry about the cliche of huge amounts of protein resulting in extreme bulk. That's a completely different game involving careful planning of your workouts, carb intake, and raising testosterone to allow your body to hold onto more muscle.

Speaking of testosterone, while artificially messing with hormones is a bad idea for you there are some safe ways to increase your natural levels that have nothing but benefits. The number one thing I can recommend to you is zinc. Your body will naturally balance out testosterone and estrogen levels through an enzyme called aromatase. Aromatase converts androgens into estrogen if there's is free androgens running around in your body. Zinc acts as a mild inhibitor of this reaction freeing up more androgens to be used for testosterone. Testosterone helps your body heal faster. Faster healing, faster results because that allows you to hit work outs more frequently with intensity.

At your ages, cellular energy should be fine because your mitochondria are already working at maximum efficiency and will only get better the more you continue exercising. However, you can help it out a little bit by keeping up on your antioxidants. Again, I don't think you'll need much in the way of supplements unless you eat unhealthy so just stick to real food. Good sources of vitamin C and resveratrol (blueberries and acai are great) will help your receptors stay fresh.

You can make this process easier for yourself by using a blender. Post-workout you can hit several birds with one stone by blending together some milk, a scoop of protein, a banana, and some blueberries. Make it taste good, don't punish yourself or you won't want to continue. Feel out the calories. If it's high in calories compared to what you'd normally consume, water it down or space out drinking it over a couple hours. Your post-workout consumption is the most important of your day! A splash of cinnamon also helps with flavor and can provide mild, natural anti-inflammatory effects for quicker healing once again.

Increasing blood flow is also going to help feed your body the way you need to. Garlic is a great natural option here along with many various greens that provide nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is what you're looking for, it dilates your blood vessels. More blood, more nutrients. More nutrients, faster healing.

Speaking of blood flow, here's my last bit of advice. Low intensity workouts in the evenings of the areas you hit. Say you get up one morning and your legs are really sore because you hit them hard the day before. Loosen them up throughout the day and before you go to bed, do some light lunges or bodyweight squats. Just get the blood going. Finish up with good stretching and protein, then go to sleep. That's another proven method to accelerate healing.

These methods are pretty universal no matter how you're training your body, be it strength, speed, flexibility, explosive actions like jumping, etc. Again, don't worry about bulk. That comes from gearing your carbs and workouts specifically toward it. Chances are really high that you have a lot of miles to gain out of your existing muscle and you're better off trying to get that first and foremost.

Happy gains, NON.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:01 pm

An easy-to-follow guide with no major changes to lifestyle or diet. Thanks, Psych.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Post by Sicarius » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:31 pm

I wish I could do.. any of this being honest. My mother wont let me, we do not have ingredients, or I do not have the ability or time. I am starting to wake up early, and hopefully soon workout. I squat full and Hindu throughout the day, and when I have some privacy, crouching tiger, panther crawl, and something like sneaking ape are movements I practice. When I work I try to hold active and passive warrior, as well as full squats and low crouches/full hindu squats.

I find mental training to be the best for me. Just becoming more in tune with myself is easier than physical stuff, because I lack time and strength. Breathing, wide angle vision, and various observation and analysis exercises are my favorites. I am NOT saying to not train physically, I just cannot as of now, so I train mentally when I can.

Thank you for the post, you raise some interesting ideas to try sometime.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince