Dazing and Snatching

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
CookieThief

Dazing and Snatching

Post by CookieThief » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:07 am

So I have been debating whether to post this, because it doesn't relate to ops directly but in light (little reverse pun there) of my last op, I thought it would be good to share.

Dazing: Using your body to "daze" or knock to the ground, push back or aside someone to escape.

Snatching: Similar to Dazing but with the added goal of taking something from them. (Wallet, keys, flashlight, etc).

An example of Dazing.

You are in a room and there are two security guards looking for you and they are almost going to find you in a storage closet. (I know but "you" panicked) Seeing that they have no weapons, except a really long flashlight you decide to make a run for it. You slowly open the door and charge at the guy blocking the door. Aiming for his left side, which has the least amount of his body blocking you, push past him throwing him off balance.

An example of Snatching.
In the same situation as above but you need the flashlight he has in his hand on the right side. As you go to smash into him reach for the flashlight keeping your arm back right before you hit him, then grab the light and run.

Feel free to add anything.

Peace!!
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

Xanatos

Re: Dazing and Snatching

Post by Xanatos » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:19 am

Dazing? Yes. Snatching? Kind of defeats the purpose. If you're trying to 'snatch' something from someone they're not just going to let you do it, you need to restrain them somehow. You're missing some steps between dazing & snatching. And if it's a security guard he's not gonna be having any of that shit, so it's best to just leg it after dazing him.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

CookieThief

Post by CookieThief » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:29 am

What do you mean I am missing steps? Could you elaborate? You don't need to restrain them, what I mean by "snatching" is taking something very quickly using you shoving them off balance as an opening to "snatch" what you need/want. Similar to pickpocket but without the unnoticed misdirection, they know you are taking and have taken the item but were too "dazed" to hold on to it. This is my first how to so any advise on clearly explaining my point would be welcome. Also any criticisms of the concept would be helpful too.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:45 am

Whatever's on their belt is likely in a holster of some kind. Unless you're an incredibly skilled pickpocket with lots of practice then you're not going to be able to just 'snatch' whatever's at their belt without having to deal with a lot of buckles & straps & other shit designed to keep stuff from falling out. Not to mention they're not gonna be 'dazed' in the Dragon Age sense of being 'stunned' (id est; rendered immobile for a few seconds). They're gonna be flailing about swinging whatever they can at you. Kind of hard to concentrate on pickpocketing when you're being clubbed in the head with a Maglight. Even if you manage to initially shove them far enough away that they can't reach you, you're not gonna be close enough to 'snatch' anything from them anyway.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

CookieThief

Post by CookieThief » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:22 pm

I remember dragon age, I should play that again. I respectfully disagree. You don't need to be skilled to reach and pull something out of a pocket while you shove someone, at least not like a pickpocket on the streets. It was useful to me when I botched a pull so I "snatched" the wallet. In a night ops situation I can see a few ways that could be useful. It is risky and should only be done when you really need something from someone a weapon or something a value and when you can't get away cleanly. When they are swinging are moving around either absorb the blows or weave around them. It easier said then done, but it worked for me.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Thinking about myself if I were in that situation, the only real solution I could see working is overwhelming brute force delivered as quickly as possible before sufficient resistance can be offered. Your opponent/target is going to act as though their life is on the line because they have no idea what's going on much less what your intention is and they will fight hard given half the chance. If there was some weird twisted scenario where I had the surprise drop on someone and I absolutely had to have an item they were carrying I would probably either find the best expedient weapon I could to smash into their face repeatedly or, failing that, sucker punch them as hard as possible and follow them to the ground with more punches/elbows while vying for full mount until I could safely grab the object and run. At that point though, one of two things apply. Either A: the mission has failed horribly or B: it's a black op bad idea and shouldn't be attempted at all if trying to stay true to night ops.

In crazier times, I've been in similar situations. One was a botched black op stealing piles of loot out of a garage when I got pinned down and couldn't move without giving away the fact I was still there and in the same room as the person so I decided to apply surprise brute force. He saw me coming because I was in front of him, but I was able to close the distance before he could react beyond surprise and flailing punches and was able to incapacitate him (non lethal, relax) before finally escaping.

When you're actually in the situation, efficiency will become your top priority. All you're going to think about is how to stop your threat as fast as possible without getting yourself hurt so you can escape. Me, I assume everyone is carrying concealed and can potentially kill me. Any confrontation demands every advantage you have to escape with your life because even in just night ops, YOU ARE THE BAD GUY and nobody is going to give a shit about you. You MUST aggressively stop any threat and prevent a counter attack. Simply knocking people to the ground may not be enough.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.