Accept Your Weaknesses

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Æternaeon

Accept Your Weaknesses

Post by Æternaeon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:08 pm

Let's entertain the idea that ninja - no matter if mislabeled or over-romanticized, existed in some form or function. Feudal guerrillas if it makes you feel better. And let us also look at more properly recorded history after. Celts dragging down knights trained from childhood to become the best warriors and simply crushing their armor with huge wooden mallets. Taliban fighters destroying superior trained and armed fighters with crude IEDs. MMA fighters and trainers falling victim to petty thugs armed with nothing but a pistol.

What do all of these things have in common? World class warriors falling victim to inferior fighters. Why? Because the winners knew better than to play the game against the experts. Instead, they were smart and cheated. In all of these cases, they were faced against some of the best of their time. Would a ninja truly overcome a samurai in an outright sword fight? Would a peasant overcome an armored knight? Would Achmed overcome Soviet or NATO badasses in a run and gun scenario? Can you kick a world class MMA fighter's ass with your bare fists?

FUCK NO!

So what does all of this have to do with night ops? It's about side-stepping what is expected of you and thinking outside of the box. Not every problem needs to be met head on in hopes that your ability in that particular area outweighs that of your adversary/target. Think about a security layout. What areas are typically covered? Things are expected of you. You're expected to simply open a door, open or maybe even break a window. Walk through open driveways or gates. Run and hide, creating a hide and seek game to someone who's trained to play hide and seek.

Let go of your ego, expecting that you can overcome everything face to face no matter how good you are. Think smart, not with pride blinding better options. Remember what your goals are. To stay alive, stay out of trouble, and accomplish your objective. You're not there to "beat" anyone or anything at their own game.

I realize this is vague at best, but it's a philosophy I try to apply toward my efforts and I post it in hopes that it can be used in a similar manner by you all as well.
Sacrifice the body, not the heart.

Xanatos

Re: Accept Your Weaknesses

Post by Xanatos » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:11 am

Æternaeon's got it pretty down pat. If as an operative this isn't your modus operandi, you're doing it wrong. We exist outside the box for a reason.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

FlyingOne

Post by FlyingOne » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:02 am

You can be sure of succeeding in your attacks if you only attack places which are undefended. If you have yet to read the art of war I would highly recommend it.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:32 pm

I like this post a lot. I forget that this may not be common knowledge for everybody but we are all expected to be professionals at being unorthodox. Understand what your opponent expects and how they think and you'll understand what you need to do. When it comes to a competition of sorts knowledge is the most useful asset you have and will help you to turn the tide.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:51 am

this post i enjoy very very much.
thank you sir for your words.
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse