How to get over fear of the dark

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
NachtReiter

How to get over fear of the dark

Post by NachtReiter » Sat May 24, 2014 7:29 am

So just now (right now, in fact) I had/have as good of a chance to op here as I'm going to get. I have a decent way out, I'm fairly certain my mother's asleep, and I have opping clothes that are like a freaking invisibility cloak.

But then I look out my window, into the deep, dark night - and I gotta admit, I'm afraid. I guess I've been taught that the night is dangerous all my life. Out there, I could be attacked by a wild animal, or a person.

Most fears you get over by just doing something, and once it's done, it's done. Like my previous slight fear of swimming. I just got in the water and swam, and realized it wasn't that bad.

But this is a bit different - the danger won't dissipate once I'm out there. It's not just a matter of stepping through the door and saying "ah, did it!" Every step is further from home, and deeper into the darkness. I could probably have summoned the courage to exit the house, but I didn't bother because I knew every step further would be harder and harder until I just couldn't stand it.

I wouldn't feel so bad if I were marching around with my rifle and a weapon light on it - but I just don't know how to not be afraid of the night in the forest. I don't want to be - I want to op.

I appreciate the help. I wish so much another operative lived near me - I think I would feel better if I had an experienced guide with me, teaching me.

-NachtReiter
When the Sun falls below the horizon, the door of the world is unlocked to those who know how to open it.

Lynx

Re: How to get over fear of the dark

Post by Lynx » Sat May 24, 2014 1:47 pm

Well, you could bring your nighty nighty light with you, if you want.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat May 24, 2014 2:52 pm

As an operative, you should be the monster in the dark. The darkness should be a comfort zone for you; the deeper you go, the safer you'll be. Once you realise that, everything becomes easier.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sat May 24, 2014 11:03 pm

Become the thing that goes bump in the night.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:04 pm

Honestly you might want to truly consider finding a partner. Other than that all you can really do is keep going out and testing yourself. I've played games where i've had people actively hunting for me with cars, lights, and communications and I was able to always get to my objective unseen and that helped to build a good deal of confidence so it might be worth trying for yourself.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

ninjaurban

Post by ninjaurban » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Lynx is right. You are the bump in the night. Basicly you are safer at night in many ways. There is a reason why Special Ops guys begin work at Zero Dark 30.