Well-lit urban areas.

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Lynx

Well-lit urban areas.

Post by Lynx » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:23 am

I'm going to climb the roof of a school as an op. Problem is, there's lamps everywhere. Every access point is extremely well-lit.
The roof is pitch dark, nobody would see me there, but the entire school yard is really well lit.

The entire village is, well lit. Walking through the streets in full gear would be enough tell most people "something's fucky".
I have a drop off point for my casual clothes in an unlit corner of vegetation near the school. I put my clothes in a plastic bag, put on my gear and make my way towards.

But fuck, every single path to school is insanely well lit. It's like fucking daylight there.

Should i wear my gear or not? My gear would be really useful on top of the roof, It's dark and there's no chance of anyone seeing me up there due to the light pollution.

Sadly, the process of climbing up to the roof is time consuming, so in the case i am spotted, shit's fucked.

What do? Dress in civilian clothing, climb roof, get in gear and explore?
Or dress in gear and walk through daylight?
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Xanatos

Re: Well-lit urban areas.

Post by Xanatos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:42 pm

If you were spotted trespassing, would you rather be recognisable or not?

Remember that just because a place is well-lit doesn't mean anyone's there. Schools remain lit 24/7 in my area even when nobody's there, it just means I have to resort to using cover instead of shadows. Alternatively, just because a place is dark doesn't mean it's unoccupied. Always move with discretion.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Hm, I'll go out as late as possible to make sure that nobody is there.
By the way, on the road near the park (park is close to school), people walk dogs a lot. Even if i hide in a extremely dark pocket of darkness in the darkest part of a dark shadow near the road, the bloody K9 will sniff my ass out. They alert everyone of my presence.

What do i do against K9's?

Absent

Post by Absent » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:05 pm

I think there's a thread addressing police dogs somewhere, which might be of some use.
They're a pretty difficult obstacle to deal with, but if you're far enough away from the road,
I doubt someone would just start following their dog off into some random area or something. If
the dog has a leash they'd probably just keep going forward. But idk, it's a risk. Hopefully no one
would be out that late.

Also a lot of schools these days have cameras due to all of the shootings and what not. if yours doesn't, great, if it does you better be
concealing your identity somehow.

Edit: http://nightops.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... police+dog

That's the dog thread

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:46 pm

So far nobody's settled on the perfect solution for dealing with dogs; the best thing you can do is mask your scent and keep your distance. They can smell you better in wet weather and if the wind is blowing in their direction. This is why I never wash my gear; I like to keep that 'earthy' smell about me.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:30 am

Xanatos wrote:So far nobody's settled on the perfect solution for dealing with dogs; the best thing you can do is mask your scent and keep your distance. They can smell you better in wet weather and if the wind is blowing in their direction. This is why I never wash my gear; I like to keep that 'earthy' smell about me.
Got it.
This week me and a buddy (Ghast) successfully climbed the school roof and explored.
Plan for the future is to break in through a ceiling window and steal a bunch of soda from the machines.

The last time we were there we snuck up on the highest point, and mind you guys, it was still storming. Western Europe was hit by Sven, some serious winds that knocked some trees down and killed a few people, and us dumbasses were on a high point.

We freighted not and packed up our candy bags. And proceeded to look at the stars and eat candy while freezing our dicks off.
It was fun.

aaronderuiter

Post by aaronderuiter » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:55 am

Huh, my problem exactly. Stupid lights. We used to have a dark park (or whatever you call mid-city strips of green in English), but even that was completely covered in light recently. Lanterns everywhere. People rely on stupid light way too much, there is no way to go about on my business with any certainty.
"I suggest you back that back-up of your back-up up, and while you're at it, maybe you could back it up once more."

Coryne

Post by Coryne » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Lynx, could you perhaps elaborate a little more about that climbing? I'm interested in details, did you use rope to climb?

Azotos

Post by Azotos » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:25 am

I would appreciate that as well. My high school was definitely not conducive to climbing. Not many buildings are, in my observations. Tips would be appreciated.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Sorry, didn't have access to PC for a while.
To climb the school, you need to get to the center of the yard. It's fairly easy, there's a dark litte path next to a swimming complex nearby, not many people look other than 1AM joggers (AkA assholes).
The walls on the building are smooth brick with shoddy ass metal rims and support, would crash under any pressure. Lucky for me, there are some rain covers above all three of the main entrances (inside the school). So all i have to do is use my pullup skills to get up on there. I'm working on a full muscle up so that i don't have to use my legs next time... but still climbing it wasn't really that hard.
Was up there recently with a friend during the storm Sven. Shit blew harder than our mothers.

Sadly the entire middle yard is lit like a napalm bombing scene. There's a lamp post for every five square meters. Not even shitting. Also, all of the main hallways and offices run on the outside of the yard. This, being a european school, it has windows everywhere. It's basically transparent in the yard, insanely well lit. No cameras as far as i can see though. I wear a rag mask, a beanie and a hood to make sure nobody recognizes me.

So basically, middle yard is insanely well lit, insanely visible, so you gotta be quick when climbing. Yeah.
However there's an insanely DARK part of the school, and that's on the western outer wall. One lamp and just a parking lot nearby, usually no cars.
But the wall over there is really, really tall. I'm not sure how to climb it, I'm thinking of climbing it normally and securing a rope to the west wall, where i can climb up and down.

Climb up using a rope on the wall, take it up, exit normally. I'll try it out.

Anyone have tips on making a grappling hook? :P

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:15 pm

I don't think anybody's used a grappling hook on an op before, although I'm sure most of us have fantasised about it. How high is the wall?

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:13 pm

Xanatos wrote:I don't think anybody's used a grappling hook on an op before, although I'm sure most of us have fantasised about it. How high is the wall?
Middle yard wall is barely 3 meters, outer wall is a good 10-11 meters.
It's tall, but dark.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:39 am

I'd go for the middle yard wall, but be swift about it.