Question about ticks, snakes, etc.

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
blackbear

Question about ticks, snakes, etc.

Post by blackbear » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 pm

So I just moved to a new area where there are a lot of things that live in the bushes and tall grass that you wouldn't want to be hiding by, mainly things like venomous snakes, ticks, and chiggers. Do you guys have any tips for how to avoid or deal with things like this? I actually really like snakes and their relatives, I have several of them as pets, but they're not the kind of thing you want to come across while trying to remain hidden.

I wasn't sure if this was something that anybody else has dealt with so I thought I'd ask!
Spies aren’t trained to fight fair. Spies are trained to win.

Zerg

Re: Question about ticks, snakes, etc.

Post by Zerg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:05 am

The best thing to prevent any sort of bug problems is to wear longer clothing. Also, to prevent tick bites you should cover your head (you should already be doing that).

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:12 am

There's not much to be done about ticks aside from wearing repellent, and even then you should check yourself over when you get home and undress if you're worried about that sort of thing.
Snakes, as you should know, are sensitive to vibrations in the ground, so they should be able to 'hear' you coming and slither away as you're plodding along towards your AO. If you're sneaking around stealthily, however, they might not hear you until it's too late.

I live in the snake capital of the world and ticks aren't uncommon here either, but I've never had trouble with either of them on either ops or regular camping innawoods.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

blackbear

Post by blackbear » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:33 am

Thanks for the replies guys, it's helped put my mind at ease! :)
Spies aren’t trained to fight fair. Spies are trained to win.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:11 am

I would also like to suggest to tuck your pants in and always be aware. One night when I was out I tripped over a snake and nearly got bit but luckily I was able to jump a wall just in time and ever since i've always watched where I was walking at night.
Keep 'em chained, boys!