What are some daily ways that you practice?

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
theconfusedone

What are some daily ways that you practice?

Post by theconfusedone » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:44 pm

I am just getting back into opping after some knee injuries and after school. I am very rusty in pretty much every aspect of opping and don't anticipate being able to complete a full fledged op immediately. What are some ways that you keep your skills honed? Do you lockpick locks around your house? Try sneaking up on your cat? Try to walk silently up and down your halls? Practice opening doors silently? I am interested to hear your guys' ideas
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -Siddhartha Gautama

The above post is completely hypothetical.

Xanatos

Re: What are some daily ways that you practice?

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:05 pm

That pretty much nailed it. Try moving and performing actions with as little noise as possible, maintain keen observation of your environment (eyes & ears), and, if you do martial arts or Parkour as Tall One mentioned, that'll keep your body in shape for sneaking around. Practising lockpicking or other op-specific actions can only help.

I'd suggest going through these weekly exercises to get your mind and body back in the zone: http://nightops.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1287
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

theconfusedone

Post by theconfusedone » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Ah thank you for that link, that is exactly what I needed. Also I think I will start learning some scaling and rolling parkour just in case I'm ever in a pursuit scenario and need to physically outrun my pursuer. It would definitely come in handy
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -Siddhartha Gautama

The above post is completely hypothetical.

Zonix

Post by Zonix » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:14 am

I go to the gym work out 1 hour a day there, come home go for a walk, then do some acrobatics, drop from my fence etc, try to position my body in ways that will make me not take any damage when I land or injure myself. I don't loot garages and stuff so lockpicking is kinda useless to me, I just love sneaking around :P

sinista

Post by sinista » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:34 am

3 X a week weight trraining. 3 X a week intense cardio eg hill sprinting

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:30 pm

I like to do anything and everything unnoticed in public for laughs at times, things like walking quietly down a store aisle and suddenly appearing around a corner, opening and entering a door silently and without notice, moving things around. Learning what gets noticed and what doesn't. I like to think of stealth as just as much of a mind game as I would a physical one where you need to avoid producing stimuli.

We know the human modus operandi. I base everything around this and placing myself outside of those habits. Sometimes for practice I will try to be noticed, unnoticed, noticed - creating a curiosity - then suddenly vanish. Let someone think they have seen a pattern in me, then abruptly break it. Perhaps it's a psychopath mentality, but I enjoy it. Someone might have a fear of sorts seeing someone new, then gain a comfort in thinking they've learned something about you. Then you tear it down and leave them exposed.

You might sum it up as the predator mindset, even if you have no intention of doing harm with it. I consider it a vital asset of operations but it is imperative to know when to turn it off and to be able to easily. It makes you a better operative but not a better human.

I do enjoy practicing lock picking at times and other op related things, like sneaking through motion sensor lights at my own place and such, but I don't do any of that on a daily basis. I definitely exercise regularly although night ops are not my primary reason for doing so.
Sacrifice the body, not the heart.