Knife "fighting"

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Teutoni

Knife "fighting"

Post by Teutoni » Fri May 24, 2013 1:35 am

I just ran across this while messing around and I think it has a good message that many of us might one day find useful.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Xanatos

Re: Knife "fighting"

Post by Xanatos » Fri May 24, 2013 5:15 am

A very good, down to earth read on what not to do. I find this crucial for us operatives seeing as how most of us carry some form of knife with us on ops with the possibility in mind of having to use them against another human.

That site has many other informative articles & resources, I encourage everyone to check it out.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Re: Knife "fighting"

Post by Ghost » Fri May 24, 2013 4:18 pm

As someone with a small amount of experience in this area, I'm a big fan of this guy's outlook. It even suggests Don Pentacost's book on knife techniques from Folsom prison. I'll echo that suggestion again here, for anyone who is interested in learning about "real" knife fighting.

I think the most important thing to remember about a knife is that it's the weapon of an aggressor - the only situation it'll give you an "upper hand" in is one where you're fighting against an unarmed attacker. Most of those situations on an op can be solved by running away. If you're expecting to run into attackers with knives while opping, don't carry a knife. Carry a baton and some spray, or a firearm. Something that will give you the upper hand. "the only unfair fight is the one you lose".

All that being said, Opping is a little different from walking around in civvies. There are a few fundamental differences that can make a knife a good addition to your kit. But knife fighting, like in a movie, does not happen. Should you ever be attacked by someone with a knife while opping, and you can't get away, it isn't going to be a slow, tactical fight. You'll both come together full force, and one to two seconds later one of you will be lying on the ground. Heck, maybe even both of you.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."